SI dumping all over McDermott at #22

Toyo321

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

I've seen a lot of people say this, but I don't get it.  For all the complaining about how bad the line was last season, Connor McGovern and a late second round Guard is all it takes to fix?  That seems like an awfully small band-aid.

We should have definitely acquired 14 guards.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/27/2023 at 3:43 PM, Augie said:

If we have a losing record they would give him another year, and I don’t see that happening. 

j wouldn’t be so sure of that. 

losing record with JA playing every game? That just can’t happen. And if it happened when the team is already in a downward trajectory since the 2020

AFC Championship game appearance his seat would be pretty hot. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Spencer Brown is awful…. But the hope is he gets better and a full offseason and training camp without dealing with back issues/not post surgery results in improvement. 

Saffold was a train wreck. It would be an amazing feat if McGovern is equal or some how worse to Saffold’s 2022 performance. 

But I agree. Jury still way out on if the line is much improved.

The line will be slightly improved.  But if you had witnessed the week 3 abomination of Spencer Brown pretending to play RT, you'd pass out.  He literally let his man beat him immediately off the snap. And if Kromer thinks he'll magically improve post ankle,  he's dreaming. 

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

This is where I think your thinking is flawed. So many Bills fans are satisfied with great regular season records, AFC titles, and playoff appearances only to lose early. 

Of course it's better than the past decades of Bills failures. No one is denying that.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable for Bills fans to expect and want more. Like a Super Bowl appearence and a Lombardi Trophy. 

You have arguably the top 3 QB in the league with some very nice weapons on both sides of the ball. Imho, it's a  realistic that the Bills should be advancing further. 

Past decades of failure really shouldn't be used to justify or lower fans expectations and results of the current team. Sadly, I think too many Bills fans have this mindset. 

Respectfully its pretty simple choice. You rather play in january or not?

I mean have you ever heard the phrase "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

How about "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

But hey, wisdom, what is it good for? Sadly with too many bills fan it's worth absolutely nothing!

Edited by BillsFan692

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I mean have you ever heard the phrase "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?

But hey, wisdom, what is it good for? Sadly with too many bills fan it's worth absolutely nothing!

Intellectualizing is a great defense mechanism. Your post fits that to a T. 

Of course you want to play in January. However, you fail to take to next logical step. 

On all levels this post falls blatantly flat bordering on  disingenuous and condescending. 

5 hours ago, Billl said:

I've seen a lot of people say this, but I don't get it.  For all the complaining about how bad the line was last season, Connor McGovern and a late second round Guard is all it takes to fix?  That seems like an awfully small band-aid.

From who was available, what he had to work with cap wise, and how the draft board fell it's a start.  We have more high end starter talent and depth in the interior of the line.  Not doing the same for the tackle position is fair criticism.

The deeper issue is a failure of Beane since he got here is not spending enough draft capital on the o-line and striking out when he did (Ford and probably Spencer Brown).  Also, when he did finally hit on a late round o-lineman he gave up on him too soon.

6 hours ago, Billl said:

The problems were mainly on the interior. We had the worst guard play in the NFL. Obviously the guys we have brought in have to work but they can't be worse that Saffold. There is still a bit of a question at right tackle but we will see. 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The line will be slightly improved.  But if you had witnessed the week 3 abomination of Spencer Brown pretending to play RT, you'd pass out.  He literally let his man beat him immediately off the snap. And if Kromer thinks he'll magically improve post ankle,  he's dreaming. 

Brown was worse last year than 2021. I don't think anyone minded him coming back after his rookie year but certainly something wasn't right last season. They're seemingly gambling that he'll improve now the injuries are out of the way.

6 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Don't you think with Allen, the absolute floor for any HC should be getting the team into the playoffs every year? If McDermott continues the trend of

1. blowing regular season games that keep us from the one seed.

2. diminishing returns in the postseason ever since 2020

He will be on the hot seat. Right now, I would say his seat is warm because the above two things have become a trend with this team and it's up to him to fix them. 

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He was just as bad in 2021… Allen bailed him out on numerous occasions.

Think I disagree - he wasn't good but there were signs that he could improve into a decent guard; signs which all but disappeared last year.

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

What a post! I happen totally agree with you. I'm not sure any reasonable Bills fan can disagree with your post. The facts simply verify your points. 

Your post won't be popular but I'd rather hear the truth than blind optimism. 

Thanks for being brutally honest. 

Claiming you are being "brutally honest" is a rhetorical device that has nothing to do with honesty. It's not an argument and it has no proof value. it's an assertion, a form of the rhetorical fallacy called "begging the question." 

It can also be seen as a form of ad hominum argument. It's a claim of "I am the tough minded realist and you are a wimp" without refuting anything. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The problems were mainly on the interior. We had the worst guard play in the NFL. Obviously the guys we have brought in have to work but they can't be worse that Saffold. There is still a bit of a question at right tackle but we will see. 

It just seems like these are the same level of moves that have been made every year.  If they don't work any better than adding Saffold worked, then a year from now people are going to be complaining that all Beane did to address the issues was being in McGovern and Torrence (and the criticisms will be justified).  

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Claiming you are being "brutally honest" is a rhetorical device that has nothing to do with honesty. It's not an argument and it has no proof value. it's an assertion, a form of the rhetorical fallacy called "begging the question." 

It can also be seen as a form of ad hominum argument. It's a claim of "I am the tough minded realist and you are a wimp" without refuting anything. 

I would love to hear John Cleese recite those very lines in a classic Monty Python dead parrot sort of way…, 

33 minutes ago, Billl said:

It just seems like these are the same level of moves that have been made every year.  If they don't work any better than adding Saffold worked, then a year from now people are going to be complaining that all Beane did to address the issues was being in McGovern and Torrence (and the criticisms will be justified).  

See I disagree with that. Saffold was clearly cooked. I said as much at the time. I hated that move. There is a risk to a rookie (Torrence), a guard with one good year who might still be ascending or might be a one year wonder (McGovern) and a proven good starter who is hurt a lot (Edwards). But they are not moves akin to Saffold and extending Bates. I was one of the biggest critics of their IOL moves last offseason. Comes down to I just think the guys they have brought in this year are better players. I am cautiously optimistic.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He was just as bad in 2021… Allen bailed him out on numerous occasions.

He was in pass pro. But his run blocking was an asset in 2021. He didn't even do that well last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Billl said:

Well the standard you have as a Chiefs fan is making Joe Thuney the highest paid guard in the NFL and then trading a 1st rounder for Orlando Brown and paying him franchise tag LT money for two years and then picking a center-only player in round 2.   That was a MASSIVE investment of assets in the OL by any standard.    The Bills already have the veteran anchors in Dawkins and Morse that the Chiefs didn't have but yeah the rest of the OL they are banking on improvement and hoping that at worst they will be serviceable at those positions.  

That's part of the cost of the investments they have in their secondary, IMO.   4 of the best at their positions in the NFL the past 3-4 years all under 2nd and 3rd contracts........and a first round pick in Elam.    Personally I think they over-invested there but when they've been healthy in the secondary they've often looked like the best team in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Have to disagree with respect. Of course some of the post was opinionated. However, it was backed up with facts. I stand by my post 100%.

There is really no need to delve into the phrase "brutally honest." I think we all know the generally theme of the statement. You really seem to be intellectualizing the point to a flaw. Let me clarify.

Often critical and or negative forwarding posts receive much flack. Perhaps even intimidation and mocking. I know I've experienced that myself. For example, recently a poster iterated that I say the same negative points over and over. Suggesting I get a hobby.  Clearly, if my posts were overtly positive I would have never received such a comment. Likely, my post would be welcomed with open arms, thumbs up, and fist pumps. I've seen it over and over and over. Comments like you are dead to me when a poster predicts a negative Bills outcome. 

Your ad homimun comment certainly doesn't apply to my post. I am not trying to imply myself or anyone else is tough minded and or wimpy. Such a claim would be unprofessional and frankly horrible. Implying that I have done that is overtly disingenuous. Hopefully, that wasn't your sentiment. 

Hope that clarifies my post. I will continue to use the term with respect when applicable. 

Edited by newcam2012

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Once he wins a SB McDermott will be bullet proof, but until then there will always be pressure. This rating is BS to be honest though. He’s much better than that

Suppose a higher rated coach (Top 5) was our coach - omitting Belichick who gets this rating based on past performance and Brady would you feel any better about the Bills Super Bowl chances?  

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's part of the cost of the investments they have in their secondary, IMO.   4 of the best at their positions in the NFL the past 3-4 years all under 2nd and 3rd contracts........and a first round pick in Elam.    Personally I think they over-invested there but when they've been healthy in the secondary they've often looked like the best team in the NFL. 

Not to mention trading up for him.

The Chiefs have a great qb and they went all out to protect him. We have a great QB and place emphasis on the defensive backfield. It's a decades old problem that started with Marv.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.