SI dumping all over McDermott at #22

Toyo321

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I dont disagree with anything you wrote.

Define patience for us though please?

How many seasons with the best QB in franchise history do you give McD? 

Do you keep him as long as he is making the playoffs but not a SB? 

If they go 10-7 and miss the playoffs is he still the HC in 2024?

What if he goes 12-5 and loses in the first round at home?

I've posted multiple times,  I would trade him for Jim Harbaugh in an instant. Harbaugh took a far less talented QB to a NFC Championship and the SB and came within a few yards of winning it. Harbaugh would leave Michigan in an instant for a chance to lead the Bills roster. 

Well, we can disagree on Harbaugh. I definitely would not want that guy coaching the Bills. But he's at least a rational suggestion to my question.

I think definitely as long as we are a Super Bowl contending team, McD should stay put. Where would my patience run out? It depends on circumstances, of course.

But, outside of a total collapse, yes, he would still get at least 2024 for me. If we missed the playoffs this year, without multiple crazy circumstances like last year, then I would at least be open to the discussion of moving on. But, I really don't see us falling that flat this year. If we lose in the playoffs (before the AFC Championship), it would depend on to who and how. A horrible game like the Cincy game, or a bad loss to an inferior opponent, I would be really disappointed and agree that he would be on the hot seat for 2024 (but probably wouldn't move on yet). If it's the same in 2024 (no playoffs or bad playoff loss) then I would probably think it's time for another voice. So, I guess I'm saying he has earned at least two years in my book. And conversely, if the team is making it to AFC Championship games, or at worst losing close, hard fought games to say a team like KC in the divisional round, then I would still think that we're close and would probably hang on to McD longer. I just don't think there is a coach out there that will magically come in and make everything better/win the SB right away.

We all want a Super Bowl, but it's just not that easy (even with a great QB). There are a handful of great QBs in the league right now. They aren't all going to win the Super Bowl next year. I would just hate to restart everything, when we still feel so close.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I dont disagree with anything you wrote.

Define patience for us though please?

How many seasons with the best QB in franchise history do you give McD? 

Do you keep him as long as he is making the playoffs but not a SB? 

If they go 10-7 and miss the playoffs is he still the HC in 2024?

What if he goes 12-5 and loses in the first round at home?

I've posted multiple times,  I would trade him for Jim Harbaugh in an instant. Harbaugh took a far less talented QB to a NFC Championship and the SB and came within a few yards of winning it. Harbaugh would leave Michigan in an instant for a chance to lead the Bills roster. 

I wouldn't hire Jim Harbaugh if it was a choice between him and Noddy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, folz said:

Well, we can disagree on Harbaugh. I definitely would not want that guy coaching the Bills. But he's at least a rational suggestion to my question.

I think definitely as long as we are a Super Bowl contending team, McD should stay put. Where would my patience run out? It depends on circumstances, of course.

But, outside of a total collapse, yes, he would still get at least 2024 for me. If we missed the playoffs this year, without multiple crazy circumstances like last year, then I would at least be open to the discussion of moving on. But, I really don't see us falling that flat this year. If we lose in the playoffs (before the AFC Championship), it would depend on to who and how. A horrible game like the Cincy game, or a bad loss to an inferior opponent, I would be really disappointed and agree that he would be on the hot seat for 2024 (but probably wouldn't move on yet). If it's the same in 2024 (no playoffs or bad playoff loss) then I would probably think it's time for another voice. So, I guess I'm saying he has earned at least two years in my book. And conversely, if the team is making it to AFC Championship games, or at worst losing close, hard fought games to say a team like KC in the divisional round, then I would still think that we're close and would probably hang on to McD longer. I just don't think there is a coach out there that will magically come in and make everything better/win the SB right away.

We all want a Super Bowl, but it's just not that easy (even with a great QB). There are a handful of great QBs in the league right now. They aren't all going to win the Super Bowl next year. I would just hate to restart everything, when we still feel so close.

It's interesting that you feel the SB is still so close

Imo with every passing year it feels further away and unfortunately I think this season is going to bear that out

• Vomit 1

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo with every passing year it feels further away and unfortunately I think this season is going to bear that out

I think it’s interesting that you think we’re further way.

2020, the chiefs massacred us in the playoffs

2021 we’re 1 historically bad coaching anomaly away from besting the chiefs in the playoffs and the regular season while our QB played at a historical level.  

2022- we beat KC in KC for the 2nd time in 3 games. we went 13-3 and our 3 losses were decided by 8 points.  Injuries ravaged our roster.  No team would’ve won the SB if they had suffered those massive losses.  Injuries eliminate many teams from SB contention on a yearly basis.  They eliminated us last season. Teams with zero pass rush don’t win super bowls. 

we’ve added some substantial talent to the team while only losing Edmunds.  Maybe this year we’ll have a healthy Von, Hyde, Poyer, Tre White and daquan in the playoffs.  Maybe the bengals lose some great players to injury this year.  Maybe KC will lose some great players this year.  Name some good players that KC and Cinci lose last year?  I’ll wait.  

Our roster lost all pros, pro bowlers and difference makers.  Cinci lost some butt average to below average lineman and KC lost no one.  Yet we’re further away and our season will bear that burden?  

You’re certainly entitled to feel as you do, but the reality is, our team is stacked and we have as good a chance as any to win the SB.  Some luck and good fortune usually accompanies the Lombardi winner.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think it’s interesting that you think we’re further way.

2020, the chiefs massacred us in the playoffs

2021 we’re 1 historically bad coaching anomaly away from besting the chiefs in the playoffs and the regular season while our QB played at a historical level.  

2022- we beat KC in KC for the 2nd time in 3 games. we went 13-3 and our 3 losses were decided by 8 points.  Injuries ravaged our roster.  No team would’ve won the SB if they had suffered those massive losses.  Injuries eliminate many teams from SB contention on a yearly basis.  They eliminated us last season. Teams with zero pass rush don’t win super bowls. 

we’ve added some substantial talent to the team while only losing Edmunds.  Maybe this year we’ll have a healthy Von, Hyde, Poyer, Tre White and daquan in the playoffs.  Maybe the bengals lose some great players to injury this year.  Maybe KC will lose some great players this year.  Name some good players that KC and Cinci lose last year?  I’ll wait.  

Our roster lost all pros, pro bowlers and difference makers.  Cinci lost some butt average to below average lineman and KC lost no one.  Yet we’re further away and our season will bear that burden?  

You’re certainly entitled to feel as you do, but the reality is, our team is stacked and we have as good a chance as any to win the SB.  Some luck and good fortune usually accompanies the Lombardi winner.

I would love to be optimistic but I don't see it rn

I see a thin, aging and increasingly injury prone roster in a tough division. Coming up smaller and smaller in the postseason does not scream SB here we come to me, but we can blame injuries and freak coaching decisions and whatever else makes us feel better while KC keeps reeling off championships and the Bengals make it back to back AFCCGs with a Super Bowl appearance to boot.

• Vomit 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I describe it as sound and secure at this point. He was 14-4 last year despite a cluster**** of turmoil. I wish there was an inoculation for 13 seconds. It’s over. Big picture people! We are a top 5 team in the league. Who wants to shake that up and start over? Not me. Let’s just keep tweaking to get better every year. 

I mean 13 seconds is probably worse than music city miracle, IMO. Arguably worst loss in franchise history. At least MSM was one lucky play. 13 seconds was three quick plays that led to blunder (really resting on the shoulders of McD)

7 hours ago, folz said:

I think this is where most people are. It will take a two year cycle of coming up short of the SB to move on from McDermott. Barring some ridiculous collapse this year he will be around for 2024. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Curious why you feel that way? 
Beane has done a real nice job addressing the OL. Not RT but the interior OL should be much better.  They are betting on Brown getting better. I wish an OT had fallen to them in round 1, but it didn’t work out that way. Beane has added good players at WR, TE, and RB. 
White looks better in OTAs

The pass rush is still a massive question mark, but DT depth is improved. If they can go 4-2 while Miller is on PUP they should be fine.
I was always an Edmunds skeptic so I just don’t see losing him having that big of an impact. I wish they had brought in someone better and bigger than they have on the roster. But the NFL seems to disagree with me. 

Now if they get throttled by the Jets week 1, this place will be in full meltdown.

Who cares?  If this particular SI writer had a vote on which team gets to go to the SB, I would put some weight on his opinions.  But he doesn't.  He's just some scrub sports journalist who earns a third of my income and doesn't know 10% as much about this team as I do.

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

I mean 13 seconds is probably worse than music city miracle, IMO. Arguably worst loss in franchise history. At least MSM was one lucky play. 13 seconds was three quick plays that led to blunder (really resting on the shoulders of McD)

Yes, it all rests on the HC. What has he done about it? Well, the Special Teams Coordinator and the DC have both quietly gone away. There was no public finger pointing or casting of blame. McD handled it with class and that says something about him as a person that I appreciate. 

As for 13 seconds, I refuse to make myself miserable over something that happened so long ago. That is a decision we all get to make. 

The point remains, McD was 14-4 last year, and anyone calling for his head needs to get checked out. 

• Like (+1) 5

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

So the Eagles firing a Super Bowl winning coach and then three years later being right back in the championship is a fairy tale in your mind. That didn't actually happen.

So he inherited a championship caliber team and culture is what you are saying?:P

14 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but at some point the team has to go further. The last few playoff appearances have been pretty disappointing. Wouldn't you agree? 

Uh compared to 20 years of irrelevancy? No, Hard disagree.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What planet are you living on???? 

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I would love to be optimistic but I don't see it rn

I see a thin, aging and increasingly injury prone roster in a tough division. Coming up smaller and smaller in the postseason does not scream SB here we come to me, but we can blame injuries and freak coaching decisions and whatever else makes us feel better while KC keeps reeling off championships and the Bengals make it back to back AFCCGs with a Super Bowl appearance to boot.

We didn’t come up smaller and smaller 2020 we got wrecked.  In 2021 we improved. We didn’t come up smaller. In 2022, we were decimated by injuries. I don’t see how that’s coming up smaller and smaller.  

prior to winning the Super Bowl last season,  the chiefs had previously come up smaller and smaller 2020- lost in the Super Bowl.  2021 lost in the AFCCG.  They were coming up smaller and smaller in the playoffs. 2022 lost their 2nd best player to salary cap demands.  Their division got better and then won the Super Bowl.  

the bengals-  2021 made the Super Bowl. 2022 - lost in the AFCCG game.  Smaller and smaller.  Their division is getting more difficult.  Smaller and smaller in the playoffs.  

By this theory, every past contender in the afc is further and further away because the afc is more difficult that ever.  

I think the window with this current roster is wide open, but I agree that this particular window won’t be open very long.  Then the next one will open.  Like Joe Burrow said- the window will be open as long as I’m playing.  I like my chances with 17

46 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

What planet are you living on???? 

What is your point? Did Harbaugh not go to the Super Bowl and almost win? Did he not go to three consecutive NFC Championship games? His NFL regular season record is 44-19-1 or 0.695 win percentage. McDermott’s is 0.639.  He did this with Alex Smith and Kaepernick at QB. Did he not make Stanford a nationally relevant college football team? Did he not get Michigan to the college football playoff? 

McD deserves all the credit turning a tire fire into a contender. Not many could instill the culture change in an undesirable location and completely flip the script. 

Game management was a problem that lies on him. It has improved.  He is average at best here.  

Defensive scheme has been a problem that over the last few years McD would step in front of Frasier and fix. Last year he didn’t and the team noticeably suffered. Now Frasier is gone. If he calls the plays on D again I’m sure we will be exceptional again. It’s hard to draw the line between micro managing or not and you can’t blame him for things he let his D coordinator do. 

He has let the OC do what they want. He has been very aggressive on 4th downs with Josh.

Hes a great coach. Whether we go all the way has more to do with the OC and players than him. He has a culture of winning and that is a hard thing to create. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.