SI dumping all over McDermott at #22

Toyo321

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

And so are some peoples poodles, 

McDermott is not a topic of concern as to being on the “hot seat”  he just isn’t, it’s nothing more than click bait, but yeah, feel free to use lots of words on this “ topic of discussion “  

You too 

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I describe it as sound and secure at this point. He was 14-4 last year despite a cluster**** of turmoil. I wish there was an inoculation for 13 seconds. It’s over. Big picture people! We are a top 5 team in the league. Who wants to shake that up and start over? Not me. Let’s just keep tweaking to get better every year. 

This makes a lot of sense to me.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I wish there was an antidote for fans simply content with fun winning regular seasons,  while we've now failed in 5 McDermott era playoffs.  

I wish there were an antidote for fans who want change for the sake of change.

These are typically the same folks that worship at the feet of Andy Reid despite having “failed” 9 times in Philadelphia and 5 more times in KC BEFORE finally winning one.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Are HC's ever let go because they have a talented team that cant get take the team over the edge to a SB game? Just asking? Cause everyone believes this team will win the regular season... Its the playoffs and not getting to the next step that has become the most disturbing to some.

Yes, his name is Andy Reid and he was fired from Philadelphia after making the playoffs, but not winning the Super Bowl, 9 times in 13 seasons.

He then took KC to the playoffs five more times and failed to win the Super Bowl before they finally won it on his sixth try. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

These are typically the same folks that worship at the feet of Andy Reid despite having “failed” 9 times in Philadelphia and 5 more times in KC BEFORE finally winning one.

Yes, his name is Andy Reid and he was fired from Philadelphia after making the playoffs, but not winning the Super Bowl, 9 times in 13 seasons.

He then took KC to the playoffs five more times and failed to win the Super Bowl before they finally won it on his sixth try. 

I was really hoping @Augie would have answered my original question and not everyone else, because the whole point people are trying to say is.. MCD may not be able to get us there. And do you let go of Good HC because of it?  Again, I new the answer and that is why i quoted @Augie with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, schoolhouserock said:

Belichick needed Brady to win rings. And Andy needed Mahomes.  Sean has had Josh for 5 full years and managed to struggle in the playoffs.  You can't deny that McD is not the tactician or strategist that these 2 coaches are. Especially in high leverage playoff games. I don't want change for the sake of change.  I just don't want to re-live watching Sean get outcoached like Marv.  And waste the greatest qb this team is likely to ever have.  Sorry but I'm not waiting around 14 years (Andy) for Sean to figure it out. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-bill-belichick#:~:text=NFL Coach Rankings%3A Bills' Sean,22nd among active head coaches.\\

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

Sport Illustrated just dumped on him based on The 33rd Team analysis.  I do believe this year he seriously is in the hot seat, now that he to has call the D this year on top of the head coaching duties.

I guess we will see.

needs to continue to get dumped on until he brings a Super Bowl to WNY.

This should be his last season here if he doesn’t make it to the AFC Title game minimum.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, schoolhouserock said:

Actually he did it immediately after he got a top QB

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Who is talking about the Eagles? Not me. I’m talking about the HC of the Buffalo Bills in 2023 working for the Pegula’s. I do not see him as being on the hot seat, even after a single bad season.  Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt I’m alone. His track record gives him a healthy grace period.  

I have to agree here. NO Hot Seat for the HC.  Maybe Allen should be on the hot seat?

4 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

How would you describe McD's status with the Bills?  A serious question.  We have 13 seconds, the Cincy game, and some duds in the regular season.  I'm not calling for his head at all.  This was an organization in pretty bad shape when he arrived so I do recognize his efforts and results playoff appearances and division titles. 

Regular season duds happen all the time. Hell, the Packers in route to a Super Bowl lost to the Colts who were in route to Peyton Manning…. 

No doubt 13 seconds is an issue, but the Cinch game I can give a pass to considering all the injuries, emotions and turmoil surrounding the season. That said…. Can’t let that type of issue go again. The defensive passivity needs to end. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Your criticisms of Sirani were dim.  That was the point of my reply. 

I questioned whether he’s a top 5 coach already. I wouldn’t put him that high yet. He’s had a ton of talent from the day he was hired. Those are valid criticisms 

Everything we currently are (perennial playoff team, destination for free agents, family atmosphere, class organization, etc.) is because of Sean McDermott. And you don't get to where we are just by lucking into a QB. For instance, Ross Tucker's article praises Daboll and puts him at #8 in his rankings because he was impressed that he got a talent-starved roster to the playoffs in his first year. What about McDermott in 2017 (first year, team lacking talent, a worse QB than Jones---no Allen)? Didn't he do the same thing? 

Only three active NFL head coaches have a higher winning percentage than McDermott (LaFleur, Belichick, and Reid). Sean is sandwiched between Reid (.641%) and Tomlin (.638%) with a .639 win percentage. And I always seem to hear, "if it weren't for Josh Allen," when it comes to McDermott. Well, what about the other guys listed above. Why isn't it, "without 'Rodgers' 'Brady' 'Mahomes/McNabb' 'Rothlisberger,' when it comes to them?

You know where McDermott does rank close to 22nd? On the NFL Head Coaching All-time winning percentage list. McDermott currently sits in 21st place...all-time.

Plus, Andy Reid is generally considered a genius, HOF coach now that he has a couple of Lombardis. But how long did it take him to get the trophies and how many playoff loses before finally winning the big game? I'll tell you, he coached 20 years before winning a Super Bowl and his playoff record was 11-14. I don't point that out to say Reid isn't every bit as good as people say, but to show that even as a great coach, you need a lot of things to go your way to win the big one. I'm also not saying we should wait on McDermott for 20 years. I'm just saying have some patience. Just because McDermott hasn't gotten to or won a Super Bowl in 6 years doesn't mean he can't/won't ever do so.

In fact, 14 of 33* Super Bowl winning head coaches (42.42% of them) had not won a Super Bowl by the end of their 6th season as head coach, including: Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin, Pete Carroll, Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Hank Stramm, Dick Vermeil, John Madden, Gary Kubiak, and Bruce Arians. 12 of those 14 took at least 8 seasons (on up to Reid's 20 years) before winning the big game. And of the other guys who did it sooner (first six years), there are a lot of cases like Mike Tomlin. Won a Super Bowl in his 2nd year, but has since coached 14 more seasons without another win. (He did make it to the SB and lost in year 4, but that is still 12 years since his last SB appearance).

And I honestly don't think there are many other coaches who could have handled the tragedies and turmoil of last season as well or as classy as Sean did. He is a great leader with a great winning percentage. Why on Earth would he be on the hot seat or ranked so low on a HC list? It just doesn't add up. One bad playoff game and two bad plays in a great, classic playoff game erases everything else he has done? Ridiculous.

And if the Bills were to move on, who are you bringing in that is going to guarantee you a Super Bowl? There are only 8 active head coaches who have won a Super Bowl, and 6 of those coaches are entrenched where they are (all 7-23 years with their teams). So they aren't going anywhere. That leaves McCarthy (4th year in Dallas) and Pederson (2nd year in JAX), if you could or would want to pry them loose (not likely). Anyone else hasn't won a Super Bowl either, just like McDermott. So, there is no guarantee that they will...and a more than equally good chance that they would actually make the team worse. So, what's the problem with McDermott again? 

[*There are actually 35 SB winning head coaches, but I didn't include the 2 whose careers came mostly during the pre-Super Bowl era, for obvious reasons.]

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, folz said:

Everything we currently are (perennial playoff team, destination for free agents, family atmosphere, class organization, etc.) is because of Sean McDermott. And you don't get to where we are just by lucking into a QB. For instance, Ross Tucker's article praises Daboll and puts him at #8 in his rankings because he was impressed that he got a talent-starved roster to the playoffs in his first year. What about McDermott in 2017 (first year, team lacking talent, a worse QB than Jones---no Allen)? Didn't he do the same thing? 

Only three active NFL head coaches have a higher winning percentage than McDermott (LaFleur, Belichick, and Reid). Sean is sandwiched between Reid (.641%) and Tomlin (.638%) with a .639 win percentage. And I always seem to hear, "if it weren't for Josh Allen," when it comes to McDermott. Well, what about the other guys listed above. Why isn't it, "without 'Rodgers' 'Brady' 'Mahomes/McNabb' 'Rothlisberger,' when it comes to them?

You know where McDermott does rank close to 22nd? On the NFL Head Coaching All-time winning percentage list. McDermott currently sits in 21st place...all-time.

Plus, Andy Reid is generally considered a genius, HOF coach now that he has a couple of Lombardis. But how long did it take him to get the trophies and how many playoff loses before finally winning the big game? I'll tell you, he coached 20 years before winning a Super Bowl and his playoff record was 11-14. I don't point that out to say Reid isn't every bit as good as people say, but to show that even as a great coach, you need a lot of things to go your way to win the big one. I'm also not saying we should wait on McDermott for 20 years. I'm just saying have some patience. Just because McDermott hasn't gotten to or won a Super Bowl in 6 years doesn't mean he can't/won't ever do so.

In fact, 14 of 33* Super Bowl winning head coaches (well over a third) had not won a Super Bowl by the end of their 6th season as head coach, including: Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin, Pete Carroll, Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Hank Stramm, Dick Vermeil, John Madden, Gary Kubiak, and Bruce Arians.

12 of those 14 took at least 8 seasons (on up to Reid's 20 years) before winning the big game.

And I honestly don't think there are many other coaches who could have handled the tragedies and turmoil of last season as well or as classy as Sean did. He is a great leader with a great winning percentage. Why on Earth would he be on the hot seat or ranked so low on a HC list? It just doesn't add up. One bad playoff game and two bad plays in a great, classic playoff game erases everything else he has done? Ridiculous.

And if the Bills were to move on, who are you bringing in that is going to guarantee you a Super Bowl? There are only 8 active head coaches who have won a Super Bowl, and 6 of those coaches are entrenched where they are (all 7-23 years with their teams). So they aren't going anywhere. That leaves McCarthy (4th year in Dallas) and Pederson (2nd year in JAX), if you could or would want to pry them loose (not likely). Anyone else hasn't won a Super Bowl either, just like McDermott. So, there is no guarantee that they will...and a more than equally good chance that they would actually make the team worse. So, what's the problem with McDermott again? 

[*There are actually 35 SB winning head coaches, but I didn't include the 2 whose careers came mostly during the pre-Super Bowl era, for obvious reasons.]

I dont disagree with anything you wrote.

Define patience for us though please?

How many seasons with the best QB in franchise history do you give McD? 

Do you keep him as long as he is making the playoffs but not a SB? 

If they go 10-7 and miss the playoffs is he still the HC in 2024?

What if he goes 12-5 and loses in the first round at home?

I've posted multiple times,  I would trade him for Jim Harbaugh in an instant. Harbaugh took a far less talented QB to a NFC Championship and the SB and came within a few yards of winning it. Harbaugh would leave Michigan in an instant for a chance to lead the Bills roster. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.