SI dumping all over McDermott at #22

Toyo321

14 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

You do realize that this team is going to get thinner on talent really quick.  You can't tweak if you have no CAP money, which sucks because D. Hopkins is now on the market.   Hyde and Poyer at 32yrs old, are good but past their primes. T. White at corner has to step it up big time this year, he is getting paid to much to play they way he did after returning to the lineup last year.  He got torched and made all kinds of mistakes after he returned last year.  Our defensive front line got manhandled & annihilated by the Cincy O-Line backups in the playoff's and on the suspended game, almost lost to a 3rd string QB starting for Miami in the playoffs.   We have to deal with the Von Miller, JA17, Diggs, Milano, Knox and Dawkins contracts which are a huge detriment to this team to tweak problem positions, plus Miller is coming back after another knee injury.  This team did not get any better for the upcoming season and if McDermott can't fix the D the same thing will happen again this year in the playoffs.  Getting back there this year is going to be a lot harder, both Miami and the Jets got much better than we did this off season.  McD and Buffalo will have a huge bullseye on the back of heads this year and everyone is taking aim.

Your glass is bone dry, I get it. 

EDIT: That is hyperbole, before you overreact.  😋

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

I describe it as sound and secure at this point. He was 14-4 last year despite a cluster**** of turmoil. I wish there was an inoculation for 13 seconds. It’s over. Big picture people! We are a top 5 team in the league. Who wants to shake that up and start over? Not me. Let’s just keep tweaking to get better every year. 

I wish there was an antidote for fans simply content with fun winning regular seasons,  while we've now failed in 5 McDermott era playoffs.  

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

I describe it as sound and secure at this point. He was 14-4 last year despite a cluster**** of turmoil. I wish there was an inoculation for 13 seconds. It’s over. Big picture people! We are a top 5 team in the league. Who wants to shake that up and start over? Not me. Let’s just keep tweaking to get better every year. 

Agree but at some point the team has to go further. The last few playoff appearances have been pretty disappointing. Wouldn't you agree? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-bill-belichick#:~:text=NFL Coach Rankings%3A Bills' Sean,22nd among active head coaches.\\

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

Sport Illustrated just dump on him based on The 33rd Team analysis.  I do believe this year he seriously is in the hot seat, now that he to has call the D this year on top of the head coaching duties.

I guess we will see.

Maybe I'm delusional but I don't see McDs seat being anywhere near hot, unless we missed the playoffs, no chance he isn't here next year. Idk, I consider him an excellent coach 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Your glass is bone dry, I get it. 

EDIT: That is hyperbole, before you overreact.  😋

Are HC's ever let go because they have a talented team that cant get take the team over the edge to a SB game? Just asking? Cause everyone believes this team will win the regular season... Its the playoffs and not getting to the next step that has become the most disturbing to some.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

As could be the mythical creature. That is how I see it. I don’t have to give it any weight worthy of discussion because somebody started a thread to discuss it. If we have a losing record they would give him another year, and I don’t see that happening. 

I think the clear goal of the team is to make a Super Bowl appearence and win it all. It certainly is a realistic goal. Wouldn't you agree? 

I think the Bills players and organization absolutely believe they could win it all. They have fell short for several years. Wouldn't you agree? 

Now fast forward and I think its a time for Buffalo to step up and proceed further. Super Bowl appearence would be a step forward. Obviously, hoisting the Lombardi too. 

Has the team progressed to where good regular season records, AFC titles, and early playoffs exits is enough? Serious question here? How fair it that to the organization and players? 

The old saying "Super Bowl or bust" seems to apply this team. Perhaps unfair but is it? Is this the new reality of the team and it's fans expectations? 

At what point does the top brass evaluate the coaches and GM if they continue to fall short come playoff time? Will you or the ownership continue to be satisfied with the current status quo? 

I firmly believe McD deserves another season or more to get it done. I have my doubts he can. The last two playoff exits surely seem to suggest this. 

As a fan, I don't think I can get in McD corner if the team doesn't march further in the playoffs. Of course, variables such as injuries can alter that point of view. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Are HC's ever let go because they have a talented team that cant get take the team over the edge to a SB game? Just asking? Cause everyone believes this team will win the regular season... Its the playoffs and not getting to the next step that has become the most disturbing to some.

Yes, Marty Schottenheimer.  He lost in the playoffs 4 straight years with Cleveland and went on to lose 7 playoff seasons with KC.  Sean has 5 down, 6 to go?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but at some point the team has to go further. The last few playoff appearances have been pretty disappointing. Wouldn't you agree? 

Obviously disappointing, but only because we were so close and capable. That is not a bad thing. Sometimes it doesn’t go your way. We were a different team with Von in the game. The ball bounced the wrong way. It happens. Only one team ends the season truly happy. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Not saying sirianni is a bad coach because obviously he’s done well and can run an offense. But top 5 already? He sounds like a goof when he speaks too. He had a lot of talent pretty much from the beginning

definitely better to have a process than a conference championship. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

McD is a top 10 coach. His in game management still needs to get better, but he keeps the team in check.

He lead the team through the shooting.

He lead the team through the blizzard.

He lead the team and saved the NFL from itself with Hamlin.

The team still went 13-3 last year with all of that going on.

McD is one of the best leaders in the NFL and easily a top 10 coach.

This all says he's a great leader of men. It doesn't really say that he won't coach a dud of a defensive game in the playoffs again. That being said (and I'm not dissing what you are saying because there is a lot of truth there) a lot of teams lay duds against the best offenses in the league. Just wish we could be the team in the playoffs that the other great teams

Cant stop. I think that's is where McD needs to step up. 

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This all says he's a great leader of men. It doesn't really say that he won't coach a dud of a defensive game in the playoffs again. That being said (and I'm not dissing what you are saying because there is a lot of truth there) a lot of teams lay duds against the best offenses in the league. Just wish we could be the team in the playoffs that the other great teams

Cant stop. I think that's is where McD needs to step up. 

His playoff results aren't top 10.  They just are not. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

His playoff results aren't top 10.  They just are not. 

I agree. Playoffs have been all

about Josh. I'm not on either side as far as keep McD or not, but I will say that as long as Josh is on this team, we'll see similar results. Maybe better maybe worse i don't know but it's about Josh. Heck even coaching knows this as they haven't done a whole ton to help him until late. (Questionable take right there)

• Eyeroll 1

To be a top 5 coach, he needs an innovative mind to run the O. That’s it.

I think the D will be better w/McD calling the plays so all he needs is someone to engineer a dynamic O for him to succeed. 

That’s the issue with hiring a D HC IMO. When your O does well, the staff will get poached and you have to start over. Less likely to lose your D staff when the team is successful. 

I like thinking in racing terms, so the coordinators are like the car engineers. They design a world class vehicle for their QB to drive. The more time they work together, the more the Racecar/O is tweaked to fit the driver/QBs preferences and strengths. 

Sort of felt like last year, they tried to hire the Engineer’s assistant to run the same car/O and discovered there were some nuances to making it run right that the assistant had to figure out. 

The only real way to avoid this issue over and over IMO is to hire a Co-HC for the O?  

Is that even a thing?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I agree. Playoffs have been all

about Josh. I'm not on either side as far as keep McD or not, but I will say that as long as Josh is on this team, we'll see similar results. Maybe better maybe worse i don't know but it's about Josh. Heck even coaching knows this as they haven't done a whole ton to help him until late. (Questionable take right there)

Sorry to offend you with my opinion lol. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Josh is entering his sixth season and his prime. If a coach cannot win a SB with Josh as his Franchise QB, then the Bills will have to take a call.. The question will be whether the Pegulas will see it early on and make the move or do it in  say Josh's 8th year.   There is definitely something that is missing in this coaching staff when it comes to the playoffs...Texans, Colts, Chiefs, Dolphins, Bengals --  All games where the opposing coaching was better but thanks to our QB were able to sneak wins in some of them. 

Beane “We’re always looking to improve the team and competition”. 

At some point it applies to coaching staffs. Do we really think we have a top 10–> HC DC OC STC?  

I’ve not seen much memorable or “hey that was a good move” from this crew. Yup, Josh saves the day often but coaching wins AFCC etc. Josh gets us to the medal round; coaching wins the gold 

Edited by Since1981
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean it's the topic of discussion. 

And so are some peoples poodles, 

McDermott is not a topic of concern as to being on the “hot seat”  he just isn’t, it’s nothing more than click bait, but yeah, feel free to use lots of words on this “ topic of discussion “  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.