SI dumping all over McDermott at #22

Toyo321

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-bill-belichick#:~:text=NFL Coach Rankings%3A Bills' Sean,22nd among active head coaches.\\

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

Sport Illustrated just dumped on him based on The 33rd Team analysis.  I do believe this year he seriously is in the hot seat, now that he to has call the D this year on top of the head coaching duties.

I guess we will see.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Not saying sirianni is a bad coach because obviously he’s done well and can run an offense. But top 5 already? He sounds like a goof when he speaks too. He had a lot of talent pretty much from the beginning

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-bill-belichick#:~:text=NFL Coach Rankings%3A Bills' Sean,22nd among active head coaches.\\

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

Sport Illustrated just dump on him based on The 33rd Team analysis.  I do believe this year he seriously is in the hot seat, now that he to has call the D this year on top of the head coaching duties.

I guess we will see.

I don’t think he’s in the hot seat at all. Not even close. He went 14-4 last year. Those guys are not really what you call “hot seat material”.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 15
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Neither do I. But I also think it's a conversation worth having.

We can talk about the Chupacabra if you want. It’s only slightly less likely at this point.

JMO - feel free to carry on. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t think he’s in the hot seat at all. Not even close. 

How would you describe McD's status with the Bills?  A serious question.  We have 13 seconds, the Cincy game, and some duds in the regular season.  I'm not calling for his head at all.  This was an organization in pretty bad shape when he arrived so I do recognize his efforts and results playoff appearances and division titles. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

How would you describe McD's status with the Bills?  A serious question.  We have 13 seconds, the Cincy game, and some duds in the regular season.  I'm not calling for his head at all.  This was an organization in pretty bad shape when he arrived so I do recognize his efforts and results playoff appearances and division titles. 

I describe it as sound and secure at this point. He was 14-4 last year despite a cluster**** of turmoil. I wish there was an inoculation for 13 seconds. It’s over. Big picture people! We are a top 5 team in the league. Who wants to shake that up and start over? Not me. Let’s just keep tweaking to get better every year. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean it's the topic of discussion. 

As could be the mythical creature. That is how I see it. I don’t have to give it any weight worthy of discussion because somebody started a thread to discuss it. If we have a losing record they would give him another year, and I don’t see that happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t think he’s in the hot seat at all. Not even close. He went 14-4 last year. Those guys are not really what you call “hot seat material”.  

It’s a lame take like Diggs should be gone in another thread.  The kings of decisions made during the 17 yr. drought.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

13 seconds and the Cincy game has to be weighed against a slew of odd adversities (including Hamlin, Knox’s brother) numerous key injuries (including Allen’s elbow), a first-year OC, and still a 14-4 record. 

And you also can’t just discount the post Rex Ryan/Doug Whaley rebuild, which has become a league blueprint for how to build a winning culture. 

The Bills would have to experience an actual step backwards to put McDermott (or Beane, for that matter) in the hot seat, in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Augie said:

As could be the mythical creature. That is how I see it. I don’t have to give it any weight worthy of discussion because somebody started a thread to discuss it. If we have a losing record they would give him another year, and I don’t see that happening. 

So the Eagles firing a Super Bowl winning coach and then three years later being right back in the championship is a fairy tale in your mind. That didn't actually happen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

This is not a real www.si.com article. They host on their web site hundreds of bloggers. The author of this piece, Richie Whitt, seems to take write-ups of other authors and provide a Reader's Digest-like summary. This is just a rehash of the Ross Tucker piece (which is already under discussion here), without any new insights.

Edited by DrW
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

So the Eagles firing a Super Bowl winning coach and then three years later being right back in the championship is a fairy tale in your mind. That didn't actually happen.

Who is talking about the Eagles? Not me. I’m talking about the HC of the Buffalo Bills in 2023 working for the Pegula’s. I do not see him as being on the hot seat, even after a single bad season.  Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt I’m alone. His track record gives him a healthy grace period.  

McD is a top 10 coach. His in game management still needs to get better, but he keeps the team in check.

He lead the team through the shooting.

He lead the team through the blizzard.

He lead the team and saved the NFL from itself with Hamlin.

The team still went 13-3 last year with all of that going on.

McD is one of the best leaders in the NFL and easily a top 10 coach.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, Augie said:

Who is talking about the Eagles? Not me. I’m talking about the HC of the Buffalo Bills in 2023 working for the Pegula’s. I do not see him as being on the hot seat, even after a single bad season.  Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt I’m alone. His track record gives him a healthy grace period.  

I am talking about the Eagles because it's a relevant example to the topic of discussion. I think it's likely Sean McDermott has Mark Jackson syndrome, the perfect guy for rebuilding a decrepit franchise and then turning it over to someone who can finish the job and maximize the potential of one of the premier talents in the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I am talking about the Eagles because it's a relevant example to the topic of discussion. I think it's likely Sean McDermott has Mark Jackson syndrome, the perfect guy for rebuilding a decrepit franchise and then turning it over to someone who can finish the job and maximize the potential of one of the premier talents in the game.

We can agree to disagree, then. Nobody wins it…..until they win it. See Andy Reid as example #1.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

I describe it as sound and secure at this point. He was 14-4 last year despite a cluster**** of turmoil. I wish there was an inoculation for 13 seconds. It’s over. Big picture people! We are a top 5 team in the league. Who wants to shake that up and start over? Not me. Let’s just keep tweaking to get better every year. 

You do realize that this team is going to get thinner on talent really quick.  You can't tweak if you have no CAP money, which sucks because D. Hopkins is now on the market.   Hyde and Poyer at 32yrs old, are good but past their primes. T. White at corner has to step it up big time this year, he is getting paid to much to play they way he did after returning to the lineup last year.  He got torched and made all kinds of mistakes after he returned last year.  Our defensive front line got manhandled & annihilated by the Cincy O-Line backups in the playoff's and on the suspended game, almost lost to a 3rd string QB starting for Miami in the playoffs.   We have to deal with the Von Miller, JA17, Diggs, Milano, Knox and Dawkins contracts which are a huge detriment to this team to tweak problem positions, plus Miller is coming back after another knee injury.  This team did not get any better for the upcoming season and if McDermott can't fix the D the same thing will happen again this year in the playoffs.  Getting back there this year is going to be a lot harder, both Miami and the Jets got much better than we did this off season.  McD and Buffalo will have a huge bullseye on the back of their heads this year, and everyone is taking aim.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Dislike 4

I'm very torn on McD.  But I think he's a solid coach overall.

Anyone harping on "13 seconds" should take a look at the Pats win against KC in the AFCCG.  Mahomes went the same distance in 16 seconds to set up a FG.  So, basically, a difference of 3 seconds between McD & the GOAT.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.