Evolution of your opinions

Yes, my opinions have evolved.  Conclusion - thank goodness I'm not in charge of any important decisions regarding the Bills.   😄  I thought Marv Levy was going to be a great GM -- oops.  I've learned to temper my opinions and leave room for errors in judgement.

I used to think you had to build an offense that could handle Buffalo Winters, then I got mesmerized by the high flying offense, then December came and we needed an offense that could handle Buffalo Winters…  then we got beat a couple times, most notably in Cinci because we couldn’t handle winter conditions.. so I’m back to it, the scoring early in the year is cute, but build a team that can punish the other team and go over their heads at will and you have something special.  Imagine Josh Allen on the Titans from the last few years.. can you imagine having to defend not only Henry, but knowing Allen will torch you if you stack the box? 

• Like (+1) 2

Mine don’t change much

But I think that is because I was around when this team was bad. And I was here for the four Super Bowl losses.

That void still sticks with me I remember free agents not wanting to come here. I remember free agents giving interviews after meeting with bills management and they just had this look on his face like where is the nearest plane right out of here

Because that sticks with me, I give this new bills management and coaching a lot of slack. People are always talking about how things could be better. Well, I think about how things could be far far worse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/27/2023 at 11:13 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

There are good LBs in round 1. But even the best ones don't make enough plays to make a difference.  Corners and edge rushers are more critical pieces of your defense. 

Sure seems like modern offenses spend less and less time attacking the parts of the field most impacted by ILB play?

I believe now that at the highest levels of NFL play (playoffs, for example), the rule changes related to defensive play have turned play at this level into something more like glorified flag football where offensive potency is far more important than the old mantras like  "stopping the run and forcing them to pass,etc.".   The rules now support a new reality that having the most potent passing offense will win out over most any other approach.   The QB position is massively more critical to success than it ever was.  

I would say I am more measured and less reactive opinion wise then when I was younger a decade ago. At that time I lived and died on every play, w/l, move made or not made, etc.. now I do a better job at the long vision and perspective. Additionally and maybe its with having kids but its not serious to the point of letting it wreck, football is fun and the Bills are something my wife and family and I truly enjoy. Doesn't mean I don't have a loss that gets me mad for a day, but I rebound far faster and don't let it get to me the way it use to. Perhaps finally seeing the team have some real success also helps too as the good days out weight the bad for years now. But overall I am more just enjoying the ride and having fun watching football then anything else. With that said I am good for one bad thread a season with my magnum opus being the time I said we should cut Micah Hyde after the season... and then he had the INT of the century WHOOPS!

• Like (+1) 1

Just from last year to this year:

1. Kromer was going to fix the line.

2. Gabe Davis was going to be elite

3. Von was the missing piece

4. Bills were finally set at both tackle positions

On 5/27/2023 at 4:26 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I figured 3 Hopkins threads were enough so I thought a different thread might be fun.

Is their an opinion that you have changed or evolved over a period of time? 

Mine involves positions worthy of a first round pick. I defended teams like the Colts taking a probable HOF guard with a top 10 pick in the past and at the time. Many others said it was crazy to take a guard that high. Same with TE when I wanted Hockenson over Oliver. 

In a relatively short period of time I've changed my thought.  Even if a player ends up a ProBowl level talent there are just so many positions that don't matter enough to warrant a first round pick. For me its a combination of the true value they bring to winning and also the opportunity to get a player at the same position that can play at a high level much later in the draft.

Positions I would take in the first round:

1. QB

2. LT

3. WR

4. DE/edge

5. CB

Positions I might take in the first round:

1. DT

2. TE

3. RT

Positions I would never take in the first round:

1. Obviously K and P

2. LB

3. S

4. RB

5. IOL

I don't know if it was intentional but you left out the guard position. 

Other than that I like your list quite a bit. My only change would be to remove CB from the first column. I would place it in the bottom of column 2 and the circumstances would have to be extrordinary, to the point of almost non-existant. 

As usual, jmo.

Obvious now but you are going nowhere without a franchise QB and one that is willing to work his arse off set an example and demonstrate leadership.  I used to think QB leadership  was hackneyed coach speak, not I think it is absolute necessity.  One of the reasons I dont think Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray or Mac Jones will ever be worth a damn.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Obvious now but you are going nowhere without a franchise QB and one that is willing to work his arse off set an example and demonstrate leadership.  I used to think QB and was hackneyed coach speak, not I think it is absolute necessity.  One of the reasons I dont think Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray or Mac Jones will ever be worth a damn.

Agreed, I think I would say a QB who works incredible hard, is a solid leader, and is detailed will forever out perform talent. Kyler & Baker both had/maybe still have the potential to be something that could've really shined. But they never seemed to evolve the way you want. Fitzpatrick was believed because for having garbage physical tools he was a franchise guy in every other category and teams could have modest success with that. I will always want my franchise QB to hopefully have enough talent to function, but the other areas really seem to shine.

The other thing is your team has to has to has to HAS TO have a cohesive plan for the QB. This starts from building an offensive line so your QB isn't killed to then adding skill players who maximize the QBs best attributes. I forever will stand by Beane adding Beasley and Brown was two of his smartest moves as Josh got a guy who couldn't out throw and a guy who could catch anything and regularly eat 5-7 yards. If you can add Jamar Chase obviously that is awesome, but having the vision to maximize a QBs skill set is something the best do and the worst never seem to understand.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Other than that I like your list quite a bit. My only change would be to remove CB from the first column. I would place it in the bottom of column 2 and the circumstances would have to be extrordinary, to the point of almost non-existant. 

As usual, jmo.

Good take. I meant to include guard and C with IOL(interior o-line).

I think you are probably right about CB especially if they play mostly a zone type scheme. 

44 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Obvious now but you are going nowhere without a franchise QB and one that is willing to work his arse off set an example and demonstrate leadership.  I used to think QB leadership  was hackneyed coach speak, not I think it is absolute necessity.  One of the reasons I dont think Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray or Mac Jones will ever be worth a damn.

Did Mayfield have leadership issues? Honest question.  I dont recall hearing about that. Otherwise I agree. In Cleveland here they are struggling to find a leader. Watson was suspended for 11 games and their best player is a DE that is quiet and only makes the news for speeding tickets and crashing his sportscar.

52 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

As usual, jmo.

Almost all top tier all pro corners were 1st rounders recently 

You’re not getting sauce Gardner in round two…

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good take. I meant to include guard and C with IOL(interior o-line).

I think you are probably right about CB especially if they play mostly a zone type scheme. 

Did Mayfield have leadership issues? Honest question.  I dont recall hearing about that. Otherwise I agree. In Cleveland here they are struggling to find a leader. Watson was suspended for 11 games and their best player is a DE that is quiet and only makes the news for speeding tickets and crashing his sportscar.

Maybe that is projection on my part, I never liked him from his days in college.   He transferred from Texas Tech due to "miscommunication" with the coaching staff , grabbing his crotch and mouthing F you to an opponent, his avoiding the cops and arrest at Oklahoma.  To me he seem like an entitled great athlete that was also a punk.  How many NFL teams has he been on already?  I will grant him, he did great insurance commercials, I enjoyed the heck out of those.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.