Concert setlists, do you check them out ahead of time?

Just Jack

I saw Violent Femmes a couple years ago.  Before they started I could see a list on one of their speakers, 29 songs were listed.  What I found out later was that was not their setlist.  What they do is pick and choose as the concert goes on depending on the reactions they are getting from the crowd.  I don't recall how many songs they did play, but it was not 29.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, T&C said:

The Eagles do.. never have seen them, actually can't stand them. Their concerts from what I'm told sound exactly like the albums so what's the point of going other than a big sing a long.

For probably the first 150 concerts I've been to I don't think there was a way to see setlist unless you knew somebody in the know. From that point forward I've never really cared tbh.

Part of me agrees with you, but for the Eagles I will make an exception. 

I’ve never seen them live (and won’t, now that Frey has passed), but with them, I would totally appreciate the meticulousness of their harmonies - vocals and guitars. 

Overall, I do enjoy when bands do different things with their tunes live. I love it, actually. 

But I feel like I would be in awe of the Eagles duplicating what they did in the studio. 

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

Part of me agrees with you, but for the Eagles I will make an exception. 

I’ve never seen them live (and won’t, now that Frey has passed), but with them, I would totally appreciate the meticulousness of their harmonies - vocals and guitars. 

Overall, I do enjoy when bands do different things with their tunes live. I love it, actually. 

But I feel like I would be in awe of the Eagles duplicating what they did in the studio. 

It all depends on what anyone wants to do with their money and music preferences, there are no wrong answers for sure... the only band I can think of who I would have wanted to sound like the studio sound is Steely Dan. At times it came close but never completely the same. Glad I got to see Becker a couple of times before he passed.

• Like (+1) 1

If it’s a performer I’ve seen many times, I’ll check the set list to see what they are featuring on the tour. Joe Jackson is one I always check to see what’s cooking, just out of curiosity.  

For a bands like Father John Misty, Jason Isbell and others, I don’t care what the set list is - I know it’s going to be good no matter what. 

I do enjoy going on Setlist.fm and look up shows I went to 50 years ago. Like this one...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-rolling-stones/1975/buffalo-memorial-auditorium-buffalo-ny-5bd6f344.html

This was the first show I ever attended at 16.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/1974/buffalo-memorial-auditorium-buffalo-ny-73d8260d.html

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.