Concert setlists, do you check them out ahead of time?

Just Jack

A comment in the Concert thread got me wondering.  You can easily find concert setlists online, so when going to a concert, do you check them out before so you have a good idea of what they will play and how long the concert will be, or do you like being surprised? 

I like to check them out before, and will sometimes look again during the concert.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

A comment in the Concert thread got me wondering.  You can easily find concert setlists online, so when going to a concert, do you check them out before so you have a good idea of what they will play and how long the concert will be, or do you like being surprised? 

I like to check them out before, and will sometimes look again during the concert.  

I am just the opposite.  I avoid any/all spoilers before attending a concert. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can't help myself, I check obsessively. If I had gone to the Yes show I would have been out the door before the encore started.

I get annoyed by bands that play the same exact setlist every night - at least switch up a song or two.

What I love is the jam bands - I check the setlist for the last show or two to determine what they won't be playing when I see them. I definitely prefer not knowing going in but I just can't help myself.  

Yes, watch YouTube for artists I want to see.

Wanted to see Billy Idol. Secondary market was shot $325 Canadian per ticket.  Before buying, wanted to make sure he could still sing and want just propped up on a walker.  Was great in concert.

Did the same for Benatar.  Was concerned on what her play set was.

On 5/27/2023 at 12:06 PM, Just Jack said:

I do that when I don't know a lot of the music by a band. I'm weird. I'll go see bands I don't know.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The only time I did was when Dweezil Zappa was coming to my city. Being a huge Frank Zappa fan and seeing Frank in concert several times, I didn't want to be disappointed so I checked out the set list and a few songs from a  recent Dweezil concert on YouTube.  I decided to go and I was glad I did. Dweezil did a great concert. 

When I had my Rush messageboard, we nearly crashed the site in 2002 as we had a member at Rush's first stop on the Vapor Trails tour, and he posted the setlist live as it happened. We had people from around the world tuned in to that thread. There were the "no spoilers" few but the vast majority of folks wanted to know the setlist beforehand. Those were fun times. 

One of the best things about Dead shows were no two concerts were the same. Back in the 90's I saw 9 shows at MSG and they didn't repeat a song from the first show until the 7th or 8th show. It has to be boring for the bands to play the same songs night after night. Who the hell would want to do that.

Depends on the band. Some that I know from experience change their set show to show I will just to see what else they're playing. If it's a band I know plays a tight set, little to no change show to show, then I won't.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2023 at 9:06 AM, Just Jack said:

No. I like the concept of knowing the set list  but it's just not my practice. I  like surprises and no knowing ahead of time more

Edited by muppy

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

One of the best things about Dead shows were no two concerts were the same. Back in the 90's I saw 9 shows at MSG and they didn't repeat a song from the first show until the 7th or 8th show. It has to be boring for the bands to play the same songs night after night. Who the hell would want to do that.

The Eagles do.. never have seen them, actually can't stand them. Their concerts from what I'm told sound exactly like the albums so what's the point of going other than a big sing a long.

For probably the first 150 concerts I've been to I don't think there was a way to see setlist unless you knew somebody in the know. From that point forward I've never really cared tbh.

Edited by T&C
  • Like (+1) 1

Depends on the band and how long they've been around.  The setlist and what era is being emphasized might inform my ticket buying decision.  If its a new band with one or two albums then its a moot point.

I also like to check setlists for songs I might not know.  I find I appreciate the live versions more having at least set a baseline with the studio versions.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that it depends on the band. 

If it's a band that changes its setlist up pretty often, then I don't necessarily feel inclined to check ahead of time.

If it's a band that does the exact same show every night, and you know it's likely to be heavily sprinkled with "greatest hits" anyway, it can be helpful to look ahead of time. Helps me know what portions of the show are safe to go have a piss and get a $14 beer and what portions I need to stay glued to my seat for.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.