Should Josh Allen be tougher on Diggs?

Einstein

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Diggs being absent from OTAs is no big deal.

His behaviour at the end of the divisional round was unacceptable but that is for McD and Beane to deal with.

But if anything Diggs should be harder on Josh whatever he was trying to do to light a fire up his ass vs the Bengals failed as Josh zombie stared into middle distance.

He wasn't trying to get him going, he was throwing a tantrum. It was reported Allen had missed a throw he'd been struggling with in practice leading up to Bengals game and Diggs was in his face yelling 'what's your excuse now Josh?'

• Thank you (+1) 1

IF Josh is harder on Diggs, we shouldn’t know about it. Praise in public, criticize in private. That’s pretty basic stuff. 

Starting a public pissing match would be the worst thing they could do. Don’t expect that. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Diggs being absent from OTAs is no big deal.

His behaviour at the end of the divisional round was unacceptable but that is for McD and Beane to deal with.

But if anything Diggs should be harder on Josh whatever he was trying to do to light a fire up his ass vs the Bengals failed as Josh zombie stared into middle distance.

I agree with you that if it was just him missing OTA’s but with the way he acted at the end of the year and throughout the offseason for him to not show face and show his teammates he is in it to win it this year is not a good look. And Allen needs to take control 

Simms didn't quite agree with Florio that Manning wouldn't have been fine with Wayne or Harrison doing this — he said Manning would have dealt with it privately, not to the press. And that may be happening already. Though, I think there's is the potential for the theory (and that's all there is) that Diggs has the upper hand in the is relationship. But who knows.

What may be more interesting is that Simms, as a former player and someone with player friends, says that he agrees with Florio's take to just make OTAs mandatory in the CBA. Simms thinks it's not good for player's injury-wise to just to weights and sprints and then get thrust into a game. He thinks (and this may sound counter intuitive) that practicing without the big hits in OTAs can actually reduce injuries as player's bodies need that as preparation for games. 

Interesting take, that last one about OTAs helping reduce injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Diggs’ 🤷‍♂️ display (understandable as it was) and quick French exit from the stadium after the Bengals loss combined with the aloof off-season stuff people have read into….

It’s not without precedent for an NFL WR to be a bit squirrelly, attitude-wise, but I just don’t like it happening here. It seems the buddy-buddy BFFs / bromance is over b/w Steph and Josh.

Yeah, I do think it’s time for Josh to start getting into it with guys more when they eff up. And not just Diggs. I mean, Saffold deserved a 😡🤬ing a many points last year to let him know someone wasn’t going to accept him being a turnstile.

I agree. The nice guy personality with Josh needs to transition to a leader willing to critique and even "get in the face" of your players for lack of performance. Brady did it his whole career.  And I've seen Mahomes do it too.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Hot take. I think there is a lot of effort across the organization to keep Diggs happy and from blowing a gasket. 

Diggs is that friend that everybody goes "well, you got to really get to know him". 

I like the guy, he is certainly talented. But I also think he has the potential to be a liability. 

The Bills knew who Diggs was when they traded for him and then later signed him to his current contract. He’s an elite, emotional player who gets angry when he thinks his teammates and/or coaches let him and the team down. And he’s watched both happen while he has played at his typical elite level. The coaches effed up with 13 seconds against KC and most of the team - Allen included - didn’t bother to show up in the playoffs this past year. Diggs, Milano and only a few others should have had their heads up after the Bengals game. And the team sucked against the Phins too. Squeaking out a 3 point win against Skyler Thompson was embarrassing.

So, yeah, there’s definitely some effort by the team to keep the Diggs situation from blowing up. But they are tied together for two more seasons - at least - so what choice do they have?

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t know Josh personally, but he strikes me as somebody who actively avoids confrontation. There is nothing wrong with that, but I just don’t think he is trying to bother with baby sitting Diggs and correcting his attitude problems. Josh’s job is to throw him the ball, it’s the coach’s job to get his players to “buy in”, set aside their diva-like attitudes and handle their tantrums.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, I agree with it 100%.

Diggs is ultra talented but his behavior is concerning. What took place on the sidelines against the Bengals should not happen when you have a franchise QB taking heat from a WR. At least not the absolute disrespectful show of emotion Diggs displayed.

The Bills have built something special. Allen is the focal point. All other parts are interchangeable.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s not nothing that Diggs hasn’t cleaned this up.   We can all make excuses for him, and it’s whatever.. but it’s notable.  

I’m not worried about his future with the team, but I don’t feel like we need to be all “aww shucks, that’s just Diggs being Diggs” either.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's not for McD or Beane to deal with. Diggs' tantrum was directed 10 feet from Josh's face. These 2 need to work it out between them. And yes it's not the end of the world that Diggs is an OTA no show. But I think 99% of Bills fans consider these 2 our leaders. Leaders show up to voluntary workouts. 

I'm part of the 1% that doesn't think Diggs is a leader. Just a great receiver but not a leader. Also may be in a similar minority that doesn't score leadership in decibels one yells at. Allen is a leader.JMO

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.