If the Bills get Hopkins, with Kincaid added to the mix, what's your starting lineup?p/

tomur67

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

The primary reason I want Hopkins is it allows us to flip Gabe Davis for a draft pick. We simply wouldn’t need him and could get and extra 4th or perhaps even a 3rd. Get something now because we can’t afford him next year.

If we sign Hopkins and Davis is NOT traded, your offense looks like this:

WR1: Diggs

Slot: Shakir and Harty

TE1: Knox

TE2: Kincaid

WR2: Hopkins, Davis, Sherfield, Shorter

In that scenario you’re carrying 7 capable WR and plan on running a lot of 2TE sets… so 4 of them rarely see the field… and Davis doesn’t help you on ST.

Personally, I’d love to see what we have in Shorter and Sherfield on the rare instances we need a pure deep ball guy and then use our extra 3rd or 4th from Davis on a long term WR2 solution.

In this scenario, next year we would potentially have 3 third round picks to load up at WR and an upgrade this year in Hopkins.

Trading Davis, assuming  you can make it happen, is ridiculous. That would make the addition of Hopkins useless, and the two moves offset each other. 

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think we would rotate receivers a ton (especially in the slot). Keeping every receiver at under 80% of the snaps would keep everyone fresh.

I don't think we would necessarily trade a receiver like Davis considering it wouldn't create much cap room.

If we wanted to sign Hopkins, I think we would need to trade Ed Oliver or maybe even Mitch Morse

There are a couple contracts that can still be restructured. And now that Hopkins  is a free agent,the Bills have more salary flexibility with him and don't have to take on his Cardinal salary. Why do so many people want the Bills to TRADE away a player when they are trying to strengthen the roster. Trading away a player just creates another  hole on the 53

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

3 WR, 1 TE  Diggs, Hopkins, Davis, Kincaid

2 WR, 2 TE  Diggs, Hopkins, Knox, Kincaid

Harty is WR4 subbing in for any of the top 3 and in 4 WR sets

Sherfield, Shakir battle out in camp for Slot #2 behind Kincaid.

Shorter makes the roster due to ST and is active on gameday.  

Shakir is likely the healthy scratch…as of now

Kincaid is not getting TE1 snaps over Knox. I'm lmao at this.

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

The primary reason I want Hopkins is it allows us to flip Gabe Davis for a draft pick. We simply wouldn’t need him and could get and extra 4th or perhaps even a 3rd. Get something now because we can’t afford him next year.

If we sign Hopkins and Davis is NOT traded, your offense looks like this:

WR1: Diggs

Slot: Shakir and Harty

TE1: Knox

TE2: Kincaid

WR2: Hopkins, Davis, Sherfield, Shorter

In that scenario you’re carrying 7 capable WR and plan on running a lot of 2TE sets… so 4 of them rarely see the field… and Davis doesn’t help you on ST.

Personally, I’d love to see what we have in Shorter and Sherfield on the rare instances we need a pure deep ball guy and then use our extra 3rd or 4th from Davis on a long term WR2 solution.

In this scenario, next year we would potentially have 3 third round picks to load up at WR and an upgrade this year in Hopkins.

Lay off the Davis has to go threads- come back player of the year this season 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s my simple take: If the Bills add Hopkins to Diggs, Davis and Knox/Kincaid they’ll have officially entered the Embarrassment of Riches category. If they can’t get to a Super Bowl with Allen and that WR/TE group then it simply can’t be done. 

Let me rephrase this for you, can’t be done under McBeane 

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Kincaid is not getting TE1 snaps over Knox. I'm lmao at this.

Lay off the Davis has to go threads- come back player of the year this season 

He isn’t going to be taking TE1 snaps over Knox cause he’s going to be in the slot, otherwise don’t laugh Knox might drop his way down the list 

A 4th DeAndre Hopkins thread seems unnecessary.

But I'll bite:

WR: Stefon Diggs

TE: Dawson Knox

Slot: Dalton Kincaid

WR: DeAndre Hopkins

Gabe Davis and Deonte Harty are 3 and 4 on the outside. Khalil Shakir is the #2 slot. And no, no one gets traded. We will have to keep 1 less at another position though as we'll have to carry 7 WR's. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s my simple take: If the Bills add Hopkins to Diggs, Davis and Knox/Kincaid they’ll have officially entered the Embarrassment of Riches category. If they can’t get to a Super Bowl with Allen and that WR/TE group then it simply can’t be done. 

The duo of Harrison/Cook should not be overlooked.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You need luck/breaks too, mainly staying healthy. I think we had a legitimate shot last year if Von didn’t go down. 

I kind of agree. The NFL bent over backwards to "help" the Bills and they still blew it. Flat as a pancake against Cincy in the playoffs. 

Adding D Hop doesn't guarantee anything but should help. Hopefully Diggs won't cry about it if it happens.

3 hours ago, Dave_Bills said:

I may be in the minority but I think Davis is going to have a very good year as long as he’s healthy. He seems to be dismissed as an after thought.

I still think we should make a go for Hopkins but Davis is being very underrated on here in my opinion

Agree with or without Hopkins I think Davis will have a great year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

They should be able to keep something like: 

3 RB

1 FB

2 TE

7 WR

That’s usually the total number of skill guys they keep - except it’s typically been 4 RB. Only Taiwan Jones was a RB in name only. 

Cook/Harris/Hines

Gilliam

Knox/Kincaid

Diggs/Hopkins/Davis/Harty/Shakir/Sherfield/Shorter 

Gilliam/Hines/Shorter/Sherfield will all play ST mixed with Matakevich/Dodson/Neal/Bernard and whatever backup DB they put in there. 

Fair take. I'd keep 4 RB and get rid of Gilliam.  Never liked him on the roster and hated the contract they gave him. Harris could line up at FB in a pinch but heck I'd put a DT back there in short yardage if you really want a blocker. Gilliam offers nothing special. Case in point the team has been terrible in short yardage situations for multiple years now. Only the QB sneak has been consistently effective.  He had a few nice blocks last season and I have nothing against him.  I've been against a roster spot for a FB for years. 

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Fair take. I'd keep 4 RB and get rid of Gilliam.  Never liked him on the roster and hated the contract they gave him. Harris could line up at FB in a pinch but heck I'd put a DT back there in short yardage if you really want a blocker. Gilliam offers nothing special. Case in point the team has been terrible in short yardage situations for multiple years now. Only the QB sneak has been consistently effective.  He had a few nice blocks last season and I have nothing against him.  I've been against a roster spot for a FB for years. 

Re: Gilliam. Andy Reid says Chiefs not gonna have a fullback on roster this year. Says an extra tight end can take on blocking role. Special teams changing with new kickoff rule, so if fullback also played special teams his role would be further reduced.

Edited by BillsDad51
Spelling

2 minutes ago, BillsDad51 said:

Re: Gilliam. Andy Reid says Chiefs not gonna have a fullback on roster this year. Says an extra tight end can take on blocking role. Special teams changing with new kickoff rule, so if fullback also played special teams his role would be further reduced.

Yeah when last I bothered to look it was about 50% or a little more teams had some player that was considered a FB. So you can't say the position is extinct as many HCs seem to still value whatever skill set they bring. If you could dress all 53 I'd probably think otherwise. But I'd rather dress an extra TE, OL, or DL and use them to block. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Agree…contract year..

Fortunately for him it’s this year and not last. He can get generationally rich if he stays healthy, I think. Let’s hope, because that means good things! 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dave_Bills said:

I may be in the minority but I think Davis is going to have a very good year as long as he’s healthy. He seems to be dismissed as an after thought.

I still think we should make a go for Hopkins but Davis is being very underrated on here in my opinion

I agree. People are forgetting that he played with a high ankle sprain. This is usually a 3-4 week injury. I would guess that it effected his concentration and thus a few extra drops. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billykay said:

I agree. People are forgetting that he played with a high ankle sprain. This is usually a 3-4 week injury. I would guess that it effected his concentration and thus a few extra drops. 

Joe Marino did a long analysis on Davis. He catches by bringing his hands together like someone clapping. Marino opines he's been catching that way his entire athletic career, so it's unlikely he is going to change in that respect. The optimal catch technique involves making a basket with your hands that nestles the ball. In short, Davis' drop percentage is probably more a result of the way he catches the ball which inherently generates more misses rather than loss of concentration due to injury. Obviously, the high ankle sprain probably did contribute to poor results last year. The best thing for Davis would be signing Hopkins so that Davis could feast on single coverage from cb3 on the long ball routes that are his forte. 

If you really want to get technical, our best 5 imo would be Diggs, Dhop, Davis, Kincaid, Harty. Dump offs to Harty out of the backfield all day. Nightmare.

4 wide with Harty in backfield. Oh man.

Realistically...

Imo Diggs, Hop, Kincaid/Davis, Knox, Cook.

I don’t see it as a starting line up.  It’s more of versatility using the leap we somehow get D. Hop.

So for each game, my hope is they look at opposing offenses and decide how much in each formation and which #3 they decide.  So, the constant would be Diggs and D Hop, then in 11 it would be a rotation of whoever is a better matchup between Davis, Harty, Sherfield, or Shakir.  Each opponenets

offemse and defemse will dictate what we want and what is our field position.

For 12 we have DK squared, and Morris on the PS.

For 21, what’s our goal.  We can look at bangers for Harris and Murray, and for the pas catching role we have Cook and Hines if Cook gets a bit banged up so we give him rest.

We don’t need to trade anyone.  This may be the most dynamic set of weapons since Josh started if we get Hopkins.  In todays NFL, there shouldn’t be a starting line up.  That’s a linear way to look at offensive strategy.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:19 AM, tomur67 said:

Also, do you have to trade away somebody?

I don’t know how they keep Davis if they sign Hopkins.  I think Davis gets traded ahead of week 1 if we sign Hopkins because we would 100% not be signing Davis next offseason either if we sign Hopkins.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.