Beane's biggest blunder?

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Jefferson is better than Diggs, younger and would have cost much less allowing us to retain more talent. 

Bills traded with the Vikings in March. Draft wasn't til April. You are relying on 4 teams (Las Vegas Henry Ruggs, Denver Jerry Jeudy, Dallas Ceedee Lamb, Philadelpha Jalen Reagor) to not take Jefferson, let alone any of the other teams that could have taken an WR that didn't but Beane wouldn't know that.

You can't possibly claim this is a mistake by Beane. It is a win/win for both teams 1000%.

Vikings could have just as easily ended up with Reagor (if they even had him rated that high) or Aiyuk if they were stuck on WR after trading Diggs. They took a risk and it paid off.

Edited by What a Tuel

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Second team All-Pro in 2020 and 2021, Pro Bowl 2021 and 2022.  He'd be better than any OG we've had since he left, by a freakin' lot.

That’s true and good argument. I just don’t think it’s his biggest blunder.

Signing Star was the biggest error imo

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s weird, Beane’s trades to acquire a woefully inaccurate thrower from a 3rd rate competition college—he was 1 of 32 willing to take. I end up giving him a pass on the multi year RB clown car. 

Edited by Since1981

14 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I think he is better than Polian!

This GM had to personally scout all those QBs being drafted in 2018 and he got it 1000% correct in Josh Allen. So many of the fan base here wanted Josh Rosen or to give up the farm to move up to the NY Giants pick to grab Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen. Beane traded up a few times and got it right. Best QB in franchise history!

Made the trade for Stephon Diggs with a #1 pick. Signed Von Miller. 

You guys gotta realize that the GM goes a lot by what his coaches and scouts say as so many have input. Does anyone else notice that the O-line coach that was here when they traded Teller or drafted Ford is long gone? 

I would also suspect that McD has a huge input in drafting defensive players.

Plus, Beane has needed to draft mostly at the back of the draft to find talent. Bill Polian came in after back-to-back 2-14 seasons in 84-85 with a 4-12 thrown in 1986. HoF QB Jim Kelly had already been drafted in 83 and so had DE Bruce Smith, and WR Andre Reed in 1985. Terry Bledsoe was the GM/VP back then. 

Now think about the last few seasons (2019, 10-6.) (2020, 13-3) (2021, 11-6) (2022, 13-3) This has been a great last few seasons for Buffalo fans and so much is because of Brandon Beane. 

you are missing so much Polian did, Smith, Kelly, Thurman, Reed,  snatched Lofton, Drafted Wolford I think.. I could go on but yea.. you are wrong on this.

18 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

you are missing so much Polian did, Smith, Kelly, Thurman, Reed,  snatched Lofton, Drafted Wolford I think.. I could go on but yea.. you are wrong on this.

Polian didn’t draft Jimbo or Andre to play devils advocate 

35 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

It’s weird, Beane’s trades to acquire a woefully inaccurate thrower from a 3rd rate competition college—he was 1 of 32 willing to take. I end up giving him a pass on the multi year RB clown car. 

Funny you mention that if you are to believe Chris Mortenson the Seahawks where trying to trade Russell Wilson to Cleveland to acquire the number 1 pick to get Josh Allen…so technically it would be 2 outta 32 

Definitely not the biggest blunder. But something not mentioned- Jerry Hughes. Signed 2 yrs/10 mil 

Had 9 sacks, really came on late, 7 sacks in final 7 weeks . Man we could have used that production after Von went down

Wish Beane kept him at that price over Shaq but understand the reasoning with Von and the young guys

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Funny you mention that if you are to believe Chris Mortenson the Seahawks where trying to trade Russell Wilson to Cleveland to acquire the number 1 pick to get Josh Allen…so technically it would be 2 outta 32 

Link?

Never seen or heard of this. Considering 2 QBs went before him , i just don't know 

Edited by JerseyBills

23 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Definitely not the biggest blunder. But something not mentioned- Jerry Hughes. Signed 2 yrs/10 mil 

Had 9 sacks, really came on late, 7 sacks in final 7 weeks . Man we could have used that production after Von went down

Wish Beane kept him at that price over Shaq but understand the reasoning with Von and the young guys

Link?

Never seen or heard of this. Considering 2 QBs went before him , i just don't know 

Being John Schneider and Pete Carroll are west coast guys he probably saw a few Wyoming games so makes sense 

https://sportsnaut.com/russell-wilson-trade-seattle-seahawks-browns/amp/ 

17 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Being John Schneider and Pete Carroll are west coast guys he probably saw a few Wyoming games so makes sense 

https://sportsnaut.com/russell-wilson-trade-seattle-seahawks-browns/amp/ 

Interesting,  never heard of that. 

My only question would be why they didn't try or succeed in trading with anyone after that. I mean Russ was a stud then and Allen was a huge question mark

Just seems a little fugazi 

Edited by JerseyBills

On 5/26/2023 at 11:31 PM, Dr.Sack said:

Trading pick 27 (Justin Jefferson) in 2020 to the Vikings for Diggs. Not saying Diggs has been a bust, but clearly any rational person would take a guy about to turn 24, over a guy about to turn 30. 

Fail. 

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I'm not the one missing anything. As I said, I think Polian was a great GM. Alas, he gets far too much credit for the players that were already on the roster.

Thurman was supposed to be an early first-round pick and most teams were afraid of all the carries he had in college plus the injury to his knee. Buffalo didn't have a first-round pick that year and landed him in the second round with the 40th pick... a steal to say the least. 

Again, Smith, Kelly, and Reed were already on the roster.  Will Wolford was the result of the Bills going 4-12 to get that first-round pick and Ronnie Harmon was drafted before him. Beane hasn't had the dumpster fire draft picks to build a team like Polian had. Also, like I said in an earlier post it was a different time with free agency and teams were able to keep their star players. Hence, four super bowls. 

Read my earlier posts in this thread. Not taking anything away from Polian it's just that Beane didn't inherit an HoF QB, HoF DE, or HoF WR as they were already here in Buffalo. 

Beane actually scouted all the 2018 QBs and picked Josh Allen at #7. Made the trade for Stephon Diggs with a #1 pick. Signed Von Miller after the Rams had given up a #2 pick in a trade the year before. These players are all looking like future HoFers

Brandon Beane has been able to build an SB contender with late-round draft picks and free agents... without back-to-back 2-14 seasons or a 4-12 season. 

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Going into the 2018 season with Nate Peterman and rookie Josh Allen. 

That was pathetic. 

That was a low expectation and cap clearing year correct?   We had the worst WR group I think we’ve ever had and I think they still had a bunch of bad contracts on the books from the previous regime.  

A GMs job is to put a winning roster on the field.  Most teams that hire a new GM are pretty bad so judging the first year seems unfair.  The Bills record including playoffs after Beane’s first year is 51-22.  This clearly shows why this thread is four pages already.  Too many blunders to count.  Ok I’ll toss out the crazy NE wind game, the Cardinals fluke and I’ll pin the 13 seconds.  That is still 19 losses.  How many other GMs have assembled losing rosters 19 times?  That is A LOT of blundering.

9 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Polian didn’t draft Jimbo or Andre to play devils advocate 

Polian was fine but we have real trouble comparing GMs pre and post free agency. You can literally see a Beane balancing act each year (ala Edmunds). Few Beane cuts have flourished significantly more comparatively elsewhere. 

Edited by Since1981

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.