Beane's biggest blunder?

11 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Trading pick 27 (Justin Jefferson) in 2020 to the Vikings for Diggs. Not saying Diggs has been a bust, but clearly any rational person would take a guy about to turn 24, over a guy about to turn 30. 

What if they had ended up Jalen Raegor?

Believe me, I know hindsight, but that was the right call 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Trading pick 27 (Justin Jefferson) in 2020 to the Vikings for Diggs. Not saying Diggs has been a bust, but clearly any rational person would take a guy about to turn 24, over a guy about to turn 30. 

I credit Diggs for the elevation of Allen into the elite category. I don’t think he would’ve hit the numbers he did without him. Idk why there is this subset of posters that constantly sleeps on Diggs who will eventually go down as the best/most productive WR in Bills history. And idk why this doesn’t get brought up more often, but the guy has missed a total of 1 game since coming to Buffalo. 

wasted picks on O-line and d-line that have not lived up to draft position.  To much relying on talent from carolina.  throwing to much money/bigger contracts signing  washed up talent or talent that had a history of being poor.  not signing players that were fairly cheap and could have made a big difference.   ie melvin ingram

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane doesn't have the power to fire coaches. 

We already had Allen in 2019. Otherwise I make you correct. In terms of a single draft blunder Cody Ford over AJ Brown stands alone. 

Otherwise 2022 Free Agency is the second answer on my card. 

I'd say not being more aggressive about addressing WR in both the 2021 and 2022 offseasons is #1.     There was a point early in 2020 where they had a GREAT WR corps and the impact that had was immense.    That should have inspired them to never let that decline.   John Brown got hurt part way thru the season and they have never been close to that good again.

That lost dynamic killed them during the 2021 regular season and lead to them being on the road in KC when they were otherwise the best team in football..........and ultimately played a huge role in their struggles at the end of last season and the early exit from the playoffs.

Followed by Cody Ford..........as an individual draft pick that was the most damaging mistake.........and is also directly related to their still current WR problems.

Also the 2018 free agent class was absolutely ghastly for Beane.   He wasted upwards of $100M on utter garbage............those mistakes have impacted their cap flexibility ever since.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Process said:

The Bils traded pick 27 for Diggs. A total steal. 

They did not trade Justin Jefferson for Diggs. 

Beane has had a lot of blunders, but this was definitely not one of them. Actually, it may have been his best move. 

Jefferson is better than Diggs, younger and would have cost much less allowing us to retain more talent. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

DONT FORGET - Bill Polian put the “Shout” song in place too.

And probably saved the franchise from relocating. 

Granted Bill Polian did a lot of great things as he help open the owner's wallet to big screens, a new sound system, better turf, and playing players.

The guy who really saved the Buffalo Bills was Chuck Knox! In the late 70s, the love canal, the air in Buffalo was yellow and smelled bad because of the steel mills.  TV personalities making fun of the city because of the snowstorms. 

Does anyone else remember "Talking Proud"?

The 1976 Bills went from 2-12, under Saban, and Ringo to 3-11 under Ringo in 1977. Chuck Knox was hired and that team was a complete mess. Stew Barber as GM in 1979. Do you guys remember him as he asked Buffalo's first-round pick Tom Cousineau to dinner and never showed up?

Most here are too young to recall, but the Buffalo Bills didn't win a single game against the Miami Dolphins for the entire decade of the 1970s!  Ten years man, ten years!

That all changed in the 1980 season opener against Miami as Buffalo won 17-7 ANNND the goalposts came down that day! 

The goalposts came down a few times under Bill Polian too. The difference was that Chuck Knox was the real GM at the time who hand-picked the players the team drafted or brought in as free agents. Bringing in some of his old Rams players to teach the younger Bills players. That 1980 team went 11-5, in playoffs. 

All GMs have hits and misses. When you have a team as successful as the Buffalo Bills have been the last few seasons with arguably the very best QB in the NFL that this GM drafted... it's difficult for me to find fault. 

Anyway, I think the best is yet to come under Brandon Beane.

2 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Teller is an absolute liability in pass protection. He looked good when they ran 60% of the time with Chubb and Hunt. 

Second team All-Pro in 2020 and 2021, Pro Bowl 2021 and 2022.  He'd be better than any OG we've had since he left, by a freakin' lot.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd say not being more aggressive about addressing WR in both the 2021 and 2022 offseasons is #1.     There was a point early in 2020 where they had a GREAT WR corps and the impact that had was immense.    That should have inspired them to never let that decline.   John Brown got hurt part way thru the season and they have never been close to that good again.

That lost dynamic killed them during the 2021 regular season and lead to them being on the road in KC when they were otherwise the best team in football..........and ultimately played a huge role in their struggles at the end of last season and the early exit from the playoffs.

Followed by Cody Ford..........as an individual draft pick that was the most damaging mistake.........and is also directly related to their still current WR problems.

Also the 2018 free agent class was absolutely ghastly for Beane.   He wasted upwards of $100M on utter garbage............those mistakes have impacted their cap flexibility ever since.

How much blame for these bad decisions should we place upon the shoulders of Mr. Process?

I’m not going to play the “he should’ve drafted xxxx instead of yyyy”. Those are all hindsight’s 20/20 arguments and can be applied to any other GM, including the one who could’ve picked the guy a round earlier. Pivoting away from this “argument”, I would say him trading Wyatt Teller. We sure could’ve used him last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

turn off your crystal ball and you will think about this differently. 

18 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

In your opinion, what is Beane's biggest blunder either draft, free agency or trade? Something that has prevented the Bills from winning it all or putting them in what looks like a downward trajectory in terms of post season finishes since the AFC Championship game appearance in 2020?

For me it is using three day two picks on RB over four consecutive drafts from 2019 to 2022. 

I think Singletary was a solid pick. Other than a case of the fumbles more than you would like he really produced AND he could do it all. A three down back. But using day two picks in 2020 and 2022 meant the Bills neglected the o-line. 

This past draft should have been the draft to use another day two pick on a RB, after Singletary's rookie contract expired. 

No on here is talking about free agencyxm, where Beane has made a few BIG blunders.

His biggest miss was signing Star Lotuleli.  Beane’s scouted and drafted Star in Carolina where he flashed but never lived up to his potential.  He decided to overpay for Star BIGLY and the return was 1 average season and 3 other years of below average play.  The Bills couldn’t get out of his contract which was a big opportunity cost. 

Of course, whenever I make this point there are people in here that try to pretend Star was better than he was.  But he wasn’t.  He was a massive, expensive, underwhelming BUST 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm gonna say Epenesa and Basham. I still think they should've moved up and selected JT28 instead of waiting on Epenesa. Basham NEVER really impressed me in college

There’s something that has to be said about the picks at DE.  Epinesa sucked as a rookie, so they drafted Rosseau and Basham who also sucked.  So they had to overpay for a veteran Von Miller.  Von wasn’t a bad signing but had 1 of those 3 picks hit, they wouldn’t need to sign him

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Jefferson is better than Diggs, younger and would have cost much less allowing us to retain more talent. 

Diggs was a sure thing. Jeff was not. 
“I’ll give you $100 for sure, or bet it now and either get $20 or $120?”

• Like (+1) 1

I want to start off by saying, I love Brandon Beane. I never thought we would have another guy by the likes of Polian again in this organization, and he is so damn funny and charismatic, and for the most part has made some epic moves.

However, in the Josh Allen era, I am not totally convinced he has done enough to put the team over the edge. I cannot stomach watching other AFC teams with better offensive lines and weapons and watching Josh try to do it all himself. Diggs is great, but we know he is always going to be double teamed, and we really don't have someone of his caliber to take the heat off him. It's not just The Chiefs and Bengals we gotta worry about, but a number of AFC teams are starting to rise. The Ravens still exist, The Chargers, our own division, The Jaguars. I feel like all those teams are more stacked on offense, but we have the QB.

I think signing DHop would be huge!! It would make our offense impossble to stop. I want Beane to do all he can do while we have Josh to help get this team past the teams that keep ending our run.

Edited by Aimee75
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.