Beane's biggest blunder?

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Trading pick 27 (Justin Jefferson) in 2020 to the Vikings for Diggs. Not saying Diggs has been a bust, but clearly any rational person would take a guy about to turn 24, over a guy about to turn 30. 

so much wrong with this I don’t even know where to start

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Polian was responsible for landing Jim Kelly a hall a fame QB. He drafted Bruce Smith and Andre Reed two hall of famers. Also, got Kent Hall from the USFL. Made a monster trade to get Cornelius Bennet. That's just a few examples...

His team's went to four straight super bowls.

You can't be serious...

No way!

Simply do a Google of Bill Polian and find that he was the Buffalo Bills pro personnel director in 1985 and wasn't GM until 1886. 

Polian didn't draft Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, or Andre Reed as I stated in my post. Both Smith and Reed were drafted in 1985. As I said, Terry Bledsoe was the GM at that time. 

Was Bill Polian great, you bet! I just feel that Beane has managed to do a top job as the Buffalo Bills GM in difficult times. The best has yet to come. 

But as I said, Polian was able to build a team that already had some superstars on it going forward. Yes, he managed to talk the owner into making QB Jim Kelly the highest-paid QB in the league. But then he was also motivated by an empty stadium with fans that did show up wearing bags over their heads. 

• Like (+1) 1

There are many to choose from and some good posts so far

Draft: Ford, Epenesa, Basham

Draft misses: Humphrey

FA: not so much the players but the wasted dollars on average to below players like Star and Murphy. Hated those contracts at the time.

But I still think his biggest miss was not trading for Von Miller. I believe if we had Miller Bills would have won the SB. 13 seconds would have never occurred because Bills would have beaten KC by double digits.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Simply do a Google of Bill Polian and find that he was the Buffalo Bills pro personnel director in 1985 and wasn't GM until 1886. 

Polian didn't draft Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, or Andre Reed as I stated in my post. Both Smith and Reed were drafted in 1985. As I said, Terry Bledsoe was the GM at that time. 

Was Bill Polian great, you bet! I just feel that Beane has managed to do a top job as the Buffalo Bills GM in difficult times. The best has yet to come. 

But as I said, Polian was able to build a team that already had some superstars on it going forward. Yes, he managed to talk the owner into making QB Jim Kelly the highest-paid QB in the league. But then he was also motivated by an empty stadium with fans that did show up wearing bags over their heads. 

I think you are undermining Polian's contribution in 1985. It's widely accepted that he gets credit for Kelly, Smith, and Reed additions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I think he is better than Polian!

This GM had to personally scout all those QBs being drafted in 2018 and he got it 1000% correct in Josh Allen. So many of the fan base here wanted Josh Rosen or to give up the farm to move up to the NY Giants pick to grab Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen. Beane traded up a few times and got it right. Best QB in franchise history!

Made the trade for Stephon Diggs with a #1 pick. Signed Von Miller. 

You guys gotta realize that the GM goes a lot by what his coaches and scouts say as so many have input. Does anyone else notice that the O-line coach that was here when they traded Teller or drafted Ford is long gone? 

I would also suspect that McD has a huge input in drafting defensive players.

Plus, Beane has needed to draft mostly at the back of the draft to find talent. Bill Polian came in after back-to-back 2-14 seasons in 84-85 with a 4-12 thrown in 1986. HoF QB Jim Kelly had already been drafted in 83 and so had DE Bruce Smith, and WR Andre Reed in 1985. Terry Bledsoe was the GM/VP back then. 

Now think about the last few seasons (2019, 10-6.) (2020, 13-3) (2021, 11-6) (2022, 13-3) This has been a great last few seasons for Buffalo fans and so much is because of Brandon Beane. 

to me this is the beauty of this website, you raise good points and  Polian v Beane is a winning thread worthy onto itself...its like being in bar, wearing our zubaj pants and drinking Genny Creams, ordering wings and talking Bills...luv it.

Polian and Beane are the same in that they turned loosers into consistent winners and had help from outstanding coahes with input into building a positive, thriving culture that lures free agents...they also had big balls making big trades (Biscuit for Polian) (multiple swaps to grab Josh for Beane) and both knew to have the franchise qb above all else...Polian with four super bowls and all that goes with it...Beane next with his accomplisments and keeping the championship window open long-term despite the cap and overall league-wide improved front-office competition with analytics, more scouts, quicker firings, etc

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Cody Ford instead of AJ Brown or fan favorite at the time, DK Metcalf. I question whether we would have traded for Diggs if we had drafted one of the two, however. Maybe we'd have Metcalf and Justin Jefferson. Maybe we wouldn't have Allen. Who knows.

All I know for sure is the Cody Ford was not a good football player when he was here.

Cody Ford instead of my gosh-darned laundry hamper... Worst pick, ever!

At least we got a pick back from AZ for him. That's literally the most important thing Ford ever did for us.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

to me this is the beauty of this website, you raise good points and  Polian v Beane is a winning thread worthy onto itself...its like being in bar, wearing our zubaj pants and drinking Genny Creams, ordering wings and talking Bills...luv it.

Polian and Beane are the same in that they turned loosers into consistent winners and had help from outstanding coahes with input into building a positive, thriving culture that lures free agents...they also had big balls making big trades (Biscuit for Polian) (multiple swaps to grab Josh for Beane) and both knew to have the franchise qb above all else...Polian with four super bowls and all that goes with it...Beane next with his accomplisments and keeping the championship window open long-term despite the cap and overall league-wide improved front-office competition with analytics, more scouts, quicker firings, etc

Saying Beane is better than Polian is pretty bold. Polian has four straight super bowl appearances while Beane built teams have fallen short in multiple playoff games since his tenure. Simply put his teams weren't good enough. 

Now, if the Bills can win a Super Bowl then I think it's a different conversation. Gotta win one though. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Trading pick 27 (Justin Jefferson) in 2020 to the Vikings for Diggs. Not saying Diggs has been a bust, but clearly any rational person would take a guy about to turn 24, over a guy about to turn 30. 

If acquiring a vet WR for pick #27 who has had 338 catches for 4189 yards and 29 TD's in the last 3 seasons is an example of Bean's worst move then the man is a genius.

I would say Bean's biggest blunder was to not recognize sooner that the NFL has changed to favor the offense and that the best way to win a SB is to obtain and EMBRACE your elite QB and surround them with the best talent available.  At the same time you have to let your defense make do with the scraps.  IMO the Bills have largely reversed this.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Going into the 2018 season with Nate Peterman and rookie Josh Allen. 

That was pathetic. 

Agree.  Bean & McD were trying to copy KC/Mahomes but in reality Allen succeeded his rookie year in spite of the actions of Bills management. 

They tore down the offense and didn't want Allen to take the mental & physical beating that entailed as a rookie.  But given how awful Peterman was in week 1 they had to throw Allen to the wolves in week 2.  That Allen has worked out as well as he has is a testament to the quality & grit of Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

His trade deadline moves.

Be it trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Hines then not seeing him used on offense because he's "still getting to know the playbook" or standing pat when a move or two could/should be made for a playoff push...Trade Deadline Beane always seems to come up short.

• Like (+1) 1

He was actually saved from making his biggest blunder when Antonio Brown made it clear that he wouldn't play for the Bills.

Brown would have had a huge contract and compensation would have been a first pick plus others.

I remember Beane saying they had checked out Brown thoroughly before making the trade and felt great about him adding to the process! Yikes!

• Shocked 1

37 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If acquiring a vet WR for pick #27 who has had 338 catches for 4189 yards and 29 TD's in the last 3 seasons is an example of Bean's worst move then the man is a genius.

I would say Bean's biggest blunder was to not recognize sooner that the NFL has changed to favor the offense and that the best way to win a SB is to obtain and EMBRACE your elite QB and surround them with the best talent available.  At the same time you have to let your defense make do with the scraps.  IMO the Bills have largely reversed this.

the full embrace would be an offensive head coach who would the OC just as McD is on the defensive side...this is the fire burning inside Diggs belly and the source of his frustration...

ideally, but not realistically, if i were Pegula Sean Payton or Ben Johnson (Lions OC) would coach the O and McD would coach the D and special teams...whoever is on O or D calls the plays and the timeouts, the GM makes the final call on drafting and free agents...so yeah I throw a couple million more around on the coaches and see if it would work on their egos or not.

Edited by First Round Bust

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

How was that a trade? The Bills didn't control who the Vikings drafted. They had no idea who they would draft. Dumb comment.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

The Bils traded pick 27 for Diggs. A total steal. 

They did not trade Justin Jefferson for Diggs. 

Beane has had a lot of blunders, but this was definitely not one of them. Actually, it may have been his best move. 

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

My first thought is this thread was started at around 3 in the morning EST. I hope you’re not in the EST thinking about things like this at 3 in the morning. In the month of May, no less. 

California. But even midnight is way past my bed time!

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.