Beane's biggest blunder?

In your opinion, what is Beane's biggest blunder either draft, free agency or trade? Something that has prevented the Bills from winning it all or putting them in what looks like a downward trajectory in terms of post season finishes since the AFC Championship game appearance in 2020?

For me it is using three day two picks on RB over four consecutive drafts from 2019 to 2022. 

I think Singletary was a solid pick. Other than a case of the fumbles more than you would like he really produced AND he could do it all. A three down back. But using day two picks in 2020 and 2022 meant the Bills neglected the o-line. 

This past draft should have been the draft to use another day two pick on a RB, after Singletary's rookie contract expired. 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Cody Ford instead of AJ Brown or fan favorite at the time, DK Metcalf. I question whether we would have traded for Diggs if we had drafted one of the two, however. Maybe we'd have Metcalf and Justin Jefferson. Maybe we wouldn't have Allen. Who knows.

All I know for sure is the Cody Ford was not a good football player when he was here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

In your opinion, what is Beane's biggest blunder either draft, free agency or trade? Something that has prevented the Bills from winning it all or putting them in what looks like a downward trajectory in terms of post season finishes since the AFC Championship game appearance in 2020?

For me it is using three day two picks on RB over four consecutive drafts from 2019 to 2022. 

I think Singletary was a solid pick. Other than a case of the fumbles more than you would like he really produced AND he could do it all. A three down back. But using day two picks in 2020 and 2022 meant the Bills neglected the o-line. 

This past draft should have been the draft to use another day two pick on a RB, after Singletary's rookie contract expired. 

Not firing Frazier after the 13 seconds and continued playoff failures by the defense.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

51 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Trading pick 27 (Justin Jefferson) in 2020 to the Vikings for Diggs. Not saying Diggs has been a bust, but clearly any rational person would take a guy about to turn 24, over a guy about to turn 30. 

Jefferson was the 5th WR taken in that draft. In no way anybody would have known he'd turn out to be the best WR in the NFL, which he is BTW. Trading for Diggs who was already a star #1 receiver was a sure thing. Betting the Bills picked Jefferson at #22 or #27? Not so much....

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Trading pick 27 (Justin Jefferson) in 2020 to the Vikings for Diggs. Not saying Diggs has been a bust, but clearly any rational person would take a guy about to turn 24, over a guy about to turn 30. 

🤣 Thanks for clearing that up.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not firing Frazier after the 13 seconds and continued playoff failures by the defense.  

Beane doesn't have the power to fire coaches. 

2 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Cody Ford instead of AJ Brown or fan favorite at the time, DK Metcalf. I question whether we would have traded for Diggs if we had drafted one of the two, however. Maybe we'd have Metcalf and Justin Jefferson. Maybe we wouldn't have Allen. Who knows.

All I know for sure is the Cody Ford was not a good football player when he was here.

We already had Allen in 2019. Otherwise I make you correct. In terms of a single draft blunder Cody Ford over AJ Brown stands alone. 

Otherwise 2022 Free Agency is the second answer on my card. 

• Like (+1) 1

Star L contract was a terrible deal…

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Isn’t that up to McD?

58 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Wyatt Teller, and it ain't close for 2nd place.

And yet at the time 90 percent here were stroking themselves over what a “wizard” Beane was 

• Like (+1) 2

Other than Polian have to say Beane has been best GM in franchise history.  Better than Butler and the rest for the most part were terrible.

Beane himself has said there will be misses.

Its the same for all GMs...misses when drafting which is projecting....his biggest draft misses are Ford, Boogie, AJE and and not keeping Teller, with Ed Oiliver on the bubble.

Also neglecting taking OL earlier - relying on lower-round projects and washed-up vet guards...you can likely blame Kromer for Saffold as his recommendation was key I think.

Free agency misses:  parade of DL

Edited by First Round Bust
joemomma
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

No one thought Jefferson would’ve been there.  We needed a WR …. BADLY.  Minny was extremely lucky that Howie made the biggest blunder of his career.  Our franchise has been turned around by the addition of Diggs.  Minnesota is right where it was…. they’re about to rebuild.  

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

Other than Polian have to say Beane has been best GM in franchise history.  Better than Butler and the rest for the most part were terrible.

Beane himself has said there will be misses.

Its the same for all GMs...misses when drafting which is projecting....his biggest draft misses are Ford, Boogie, AJE and and not keeping Teller, with Ed Oiliver on the bubble.

Also neglecting taking OL earlier - relying on lower-round rojects and washed-up vet guards...you can likely blame Kromer for Saffold as his recommendation ws key I think.

Free agency misses:  parade of DL

I think he is better than Polian!

This GM had to personally scout all those QBs being drafted in 2018 and he got it 1000% correct in Josh Allen. So many of the fan base here wanted Josh Rosen or to give up the farm to move up to the NY Giants pick to grab Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen. Beane traded up a few times and got it right. Best QB in franchise history!

Made the trade for Stephon Diggs with a #1 pick. Signed Von Miller. 

You guys gotta realize that the GM goes a lot by what his coaches and scouts say as so many have input. Does anyone else notice that the O-line coach that was here when they traded Teller or drafted Ford is long gone? 

I would also suspect that McD has a huge input in drafting defensive players.

Plus, Beane has needed to draft mostly at the back of the draft to find talent. Bill Polian came in after back-to-back 2-14 seasons in 84-85 with a 4-12 thrown in 1986. HoF QB Jim Kelly had already been drafted in 83 and so had DE Bruce Smith, and WR Andre Reed in 1985. Terry Bledsoe was the GM/VP back then. 

Now think about the last few seasons (2019, 10-6.) (2020, 13-3) (2021, 11-6) (2022, 13-3) This has been a great last few seasons for Buffalo fans and so much is because of Brandon Beane. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

so hard not to be this.  In the alternative my friend preached Creed Humphrey up and down to anyone who would listen (me).  

Creed a solid starter his rookie year, a pro bowler his second and he is plugged in there for 10 years.

Taking Basham over Humphrey was pretty big one.  Mitch honestly could have been switched to guard.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Polian was responsible for landing Jim Kelly a hall a fame QB. He drafted Bruce Smith and Andre Reed two hall of famers. Also, got Kent Hall from the USFL. Made a monster trade to get Cornelius Bennet. That's just a few examples...

His team's went to four straight super bowls.

You can't be serious...

27 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I think he is better than Polian!

This GM had to personally scout all those QBs being drafted in 2018 and he got it 1000% correct in Josh Allen. So many of the fan base here wanted Josh Rosen or to give up the farm to move up to the NY Giants pick to grab Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen. Beane traded up a few times and got it right. Best QB in franchise history!

Made the trade for Stephon Diggs with a #1 pick. Signed Von Miller. 

You guys gotta realize that the GM goes a lot by what his coaches and scouts say as so many have input. Does anyone else notice that the O-line coach that was here when they traded Teller or drafted Ford is long gone? 

I would also suspect that McD has a huge input in drafting defensive players.

Plus, Beane has needed to draft mostly at the back of the draft to find talent. Bill Polian came in after back-to-back 2-14 seasons in 84-85 with a 4-12 thrown in 1986. HoF QB Jim Kelly had already been drafted in 83 and so had DE Bruce Smith, and WR Andre Reed in 1985. Terry Bledsoe was the GM/VP back then. 

Now think about the last few seasons (2019, 10-6.) (2020, 13-3) (2021, 11-6) (2022, 13-3) This has been a great last few seasons for Buffalo fans and so much is because of Brandon Beane. 

No way!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.