Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

50 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Bills can free up 7 million by extending Daquan jones and cutting siran Neal. That is more than enough to sign Hopkins with a 1st year cap hit.

with shorter on the team now who can play special teams and the league de-emphasizing special teams no reason to keep Neal when you already have other special teams only guys  

1.) Beane doesn't do an extension simply to make another move. The player needs to want to do it and he needs to want to lock the player up long term. You don't just snap your fingers and do an extension. It takes time. Beane's already said he wants to wait until Training Camp before extending a DT so he can see who's looking good and see who's all in.

2.) Siran Neal is much more important to Beane and McDermott than fans give him credit for. He's our backup Nickel, our only big nickel, and a key contributor on Special Teams. That's why he's stuck around as long as he is. He isn't going anywhere.

Like Cover1 said, the quickest, easiest moves are to restructure Dawkins and/or Tre. But I fear he hasn't done it yet because he might want to get out from those contracts in the future, if Tre doesn't return to form or Dawkins regresses more. Restructures may make that more difficult.

20 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Hopkins would make them that much better? Hopkins from 3 or 4 years ago sure but not the current version. The Bills WRs have not been the reason they've not advanced in the playoffs.

He’s better than Davis right now for sure as long as he doesn’t pop for PEDs again.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

When it's all said and done...my bet is that he signs with some weird a** team no one saw coming and wasn't ever "in" on him previously. Someone like the Giants or Bears.

Yeah, maybe he'll sign with Carolina, so we can pick him up in 2024.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Westside Madness said:

I am hearing that because they cut him now, they eat a cap hit of 22m. Apparently if they cut him after 01-Jun, they would not have. So, if that is true, why wouldn't they wait a week to cut him?

Because this season is a rebuild year in Arizona & they prefer to take the cap hit this year instead of extending some of it to the 2024 season, where they hope to have a better team.  They really have no idea how long Murray will be out and how effective he'll be in 2023 (Think Tre White 2022) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is shocking. Their GM & leadership should be BLASTED for allowing this to happen & getting nothing in return. 

Great for him though, he'll get to pick his team. Unfortunately, this lessens the Bills chances of making this happen. Sure, he would LIKE to go to a contender, but money talks. Remember JJ Watt? Everyone had a list of contenders he could help, then he surprised everyone & went to the Cards.

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

1.) Beane doesn't do an extension simply to make another move. The player needs to want to do it and he needs to want to lock the player up long term. You don't just snap your fingers and do an extension. It takes time. Beane's already said he wants to wait until Training Camp before extending a DT so he can see who's looking good and see who's all in.

2.) Siran Neal is much more important to Beane and McDermott than fans give him credit for. He's our backup Nickel, our only big nickel, and a key contributor on Special Teams. That's why he's stuck around as long as he is. He isn't going anywhere.

Like Cover1 said, the quickest, easiest moves are to restructure Dawkins and/or Tre. But I fear he hasn't done it yet because he might want to get out from those contracts in the future, if Tre doesn't return to form or Dawkins regresses more. Restructures may make that more difficult.

Question... how can Shnow "regress", if he has been n0-good for a long time...? ...release sarcasm button, now! 🙃

Edited by BuffaL0L0k0
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Great for him though, he'll get to pick his team. Unfortunately, this lessens the Bills chances of making this happen. Sure, he would LIKE to go to a contender, but money talks. Remember JJ Watt? Everyone had a list of contenders he could help, then he surprised everyone & went to the Cards.

I don't think adding him makes any sense for most teams though. He's older and he's going to be expensive. The teams that can most afford to pay him are not really in their Super Bowl window. The one wild card I could see is the Lions maybe.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Chiefs traded Hill and won the SB.  You have shiny object syndrome.

The Chiefs have the current best QB and one of the best coaches of all time and probably the best TE of all time.

If we can get those three guys, then let’s follow the Chiefs model. If we can’t, let’s get Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A game that could have been played against the Jaguars, giving Hyde one more week to come back and maybe we face the Chiefs instead of the Bengals the following week. If you're going to try and make the argument that losing the #1 seed was unimportant, I think you know that that is an unwinnable argument.

I think pinning Davis with them missing out on the one seed is a little over the top as well and frankly its deliberately turning a blind eye to the bigger problems the team had which were not WR issues. Those are problems which are still very unresolved and at least in the case of MLB even more sketchy than last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.