Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I don’t disagree at all. Read my post above… The Chiefs have Andy Reid and a hall of fame TE…. I think an addition like Hopkins makes Dorsey and Allen’s job a hell of a lot easier and the Bills a much more legitimate threat in the playoffs than a player like Floyd does. 

I would say that production wise, Diggs cancels out Kelce. So the difference is Andy vs Dorsey.

First off let me just say I think the "offensive guru" talk about Reid is VASTLY overblown. Now that's not to say he isn't good at his job...but he's not some all knowing all seeing Guru.  No one was saying he was an offensive savant when his QBs were McNabb and Alex Smith. 

That leaves the Ken Dorsey issue. Either he can run an offense or he can't. If he can run an offense he has enough pieces to scheme up some truly fantastic sets. If he can't run an offense getting him Hopkins won't make a difference because he won't know how to use him anyway. It would be like giving my 9 year old a Corvette. Sure it looks pretty in the garage but he can't drive it so it's basically a useless expenditure of money. 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t disagree at all. Read my post above… The Chiefs have Andy Reid and a hall of fame TE…. I think an addition like Hopkins makes Dorsey and Allen’s job a hell of a lot easier and the Bills a much more legitimate threat in the playoffs than a player like Floyd does. 

My worry with Hopkins is as good as he is he hasn't finished the last two seasons. Don't get me wrong I think he still has something but what I think is the true gain from Hopkins is allowing Davis, Kincaid and Shakir to grow a bit more at their own pace to start the season. Even if Hopkins gets hurt 8-10 games into the season and misses a lot of time Hopkins still allows those younger players to step into their role more gradually to start the season. If Hopkins can stay healthy then it is only a bonus. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Offense is king… I’m not one of those that thinks defense doesn’t matter, because it obviously does, but I think this teams best bet on winning a SB is by stacking playmakers on offense for Allen and letting the defensive head coach coach up his defense with some good pieces in place… 

Yea I like Kincaid… but as I said, I’m skeptical a rookie TE(when their starting TE a year ago was no where to be found in some games) will be the difference… Davis is an inconsistent low end #2 and they’ve signed a couple of guys who’ve amounted to not much in the league in FA… 

Success of the offense is much more paramount to this teams overall success.

Offense is king yes. Defensive line is the best way to attack offense.

QB and pass rushers are the premium positions in the league followed by WR1.

Im all for loading up at WR but no one should be upset about loading up at DL.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Mahomes had two players that were among the best at their position on his offense (Kelce and Humphrey), and a top 2 play caller. Allen had one player like that and a rookie play caller. Is it so much to ask for the help given to Allen to be at least equivalent to the help given to Mahomes?

He has the help. Yes, he has 2 top players to Josh's 1. Valid point. However after that...

Our RB room is deeper and better overall

WR room..same and by a country mile.

OL- they had a solid OL. Ours seems to be much sturdier this year. We will see on that.

Now, obviously Reid has a vast bit of knowledge and experience over Dorsey. Which is why I was against that hire in the first place. They handed the keys to a Corvette to someone that had a learners permit. That's the issue. Not getting more WR help. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He has the help. Yes, he has 2 top players to Josh's 1. Valid point. However after that...

OL- they had a solid OL. Ours seems to be much sturdier this year. We will see on that.

Now, obviously Reid has a vast bit of knowledge and experience over Dorsey. Which is why I was against that hire in the first place. They handed the keys to a Corvette to someone that had a learners permit. That's the issue. Not getting more WR help. 

We wanted Dorsey. 

How was the offense a corvette when everyone complains about WRs and OL last year?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

On paper…. No one has proved anything to say we’re better. Just more heads at this point

Edited by BananaB

After signing Leonard Floyd, I see this as even more unlikely than I did before signing him.

While I'm sure the deal is heavily incentive laden, Jeremy Fowler reported that Floyd "had a lot of interest" and another team that missed out on him was "heavily involved". So while I think the deal will be cheaper than most top end DE contracts - I imagine it will cost all or close to whatever space was saved signing Oliver to an extension.

Ultimately, the only way I see this happening is if Hopkins has absolutely no market and takes whatever we're offering to play with Josh this season to try and improve his market next season. I'd be shocked if it comes to that for him. Some team will pay him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's your opinion, not mine. I put our RB rooms on the same level.

Our WR group is deeper, no debate there.

"Solid?" It was the 2nd or 3rd best OL in the entire league.

And the difference between Reid and Dorsey was indeed VAST, even in the most optimistic view of Dorsey's job last year. This is arguably more important than any roster differences between the two offenses.

Anyways you're the one that tried to paint Allen in a bad light because "he needs help." I'm just pointing out that even the perceived best QB in the NFL needed a lot of help to win his Super Bowls too. An all time great TE, an all time great play caller, a top 3 OL. Why does Mahomes need so much help?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's your opinion, not mine. I put our RB rooms on the same level.

Our WR group is deeper, no debate there.

"Solid?" It was the 2nd or 3rd best OL in the entire league.

And the difference between Reid and Dorsey was indeed VAST, even in the most optimistic view of Dorsey's job last year. This is arguably more important than any roster differences between the two offenses.

Anyways you're the one that tried to paint Allen in a bad light because "he needs help." I'm just pointing out that even the perceived best QB in the NFL needed a lot of help to win his Super Bowls too. An all time great TE, an all time great play caller, a top 3 OL. Why does Mahomes need so much help?

You know, when you pick and choose what lines to quote and respond to one by one it leads to taking things completely out of context...which you have done. 

No one is "painting Allen in a bad light". But I do think it's fair to ask the question of if he as as great as WE like to believe he is...he needs to be able to elevate and utilize the playmakers around him. Which HE even acknowledged himself this very off season.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You know, when you pick and choose what lines to quote and respond to one by one it leads to taking things completely out of context...which you have done. 

No one is "painting Allen in a bad light". But I do think it's fair to ask the question of if he as as great as WE like to believe he is...he needs to be able to elevate and utilize the playmakers around him. Which HE even acknowledged himself this very off season.

You realize every single wideout that plays w Allen has a career year lol

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

But I do think it's fair to ask the question of if he as as great as WE like to believe he is...he needs to be able to elevate and utilize the playmakers around him.

How does this differ from Mahomes?

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That overly dramatic Tweet by Wawrow reminds me of his infamous antics on here announcing his departure.

I'll be rooting for Hopkins more than ever. Would love to see Beane put Johnny 🤡 in his place  

Yeah I've been going through the same thing at the Lamboghini dealership. I offered them 10k for the new Revuelto. They said they really like me and were interested but that the price was $400k, sounds like we're just waiting on them to come down on their offer enough to where we can meet in the middle somewhere around 12k. Wawrow is gonna freak.   

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

How does this differ from Mahomes?

What is this hard on you have about redirecting every question about Josh to Mahomes? It's a weird obsession.  

1 hour ago, BillsSbSoon said:

What? Yes they were. 

No. They weren't. 

As I said in the part you conveniently edited out...no one said he wasn't a good to great offensive mind. They were and he was even then.  But there was NO ONE comparing him to the almost Bill Belichick level genius that they have since he had Mahomes. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Disagree. 

I think the glaring and more difference making hole on this team is at WR2… It seems McBeane disagree… they have been wrong before you know…. But maybe I’m wrong and they still have room to bring in Hopkins. 

I am not saying that they are right or wrong, but there is a possibility that the bills think that they have the number to position worked out in Gabe davis

A lot of people don’t really like to talk about this and once again, I’m not saying whether anybody is right or wrong on it, but there is a possibility that Gabe Davis just isn’t a linear production wide receiver, and could have a huge bounce back year

There were many last year they were excited about the concept of having a homegrown second wide receiver option that we drafted being on a cost control contract. That is now an idea that year but the bills may still really like Gabe Davis

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No. They weren't. 

As I said in the part you conveniently edited out...no one said he wasn't a good to great offensive mind. They were and he was even then.  But there was NO ONE comparing him to the almost Bill Belichick level genius that they have since he had Mahomes. 

I don’t agree with that. At all. Andy Reid was always known as a top tier playcaller. When he had mcnabb, Alex smith, etc. and he also got Mike Vick back to a pro bowl level after being in jail. Reid’s problem used to always be clock management particularly at the end of big games. Mahomes has helped him shed that. Reid has always been a genius playcaller

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.