Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Clearly Beane would like to sign him.  It would be great if both sides compromise a bit 

Sounds like the Bills have a number in mind but Hopkins would have to compromise. My guess is it’s mostly incentive laden.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

“And we’d rather give that money to a pass rusher” 

Floyd's signing may not limit them much... let's say he signed for 2.5 mil. 
We had around 2 mil in space before Oliver was extended
His extension clears anywhere from 4-7 million

We may have 5+ mil in space with Floyd, before restructuring Tre or Dion which gets us over 10 mil in space

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

you mean wrt to their salaries or just you think davis+a rookie is better than deandre hopkins

Davis and Kincaid are better than Hopkins. Plus the $$$$ factor plays a huge role… 

Its more like Davis + Kincaid + Leonard Floyd = Hopkins salary. 

• Eyeroll 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

“And we’d rather give that money to a pass rusher” 

I don’t know why this is so hard to understand

DeAndre Hopkins would cost more than what the bills have to give

And I’ll likely our new edge rusher took the money that we had available

They could’ve just paint it and roll it over in the next year. Would you have been happier with that?

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t know why this is so hard to understand

DeAndre Hopkins would cost more than what the bills have to give

And I’ll likely our new edge rusher took the money that we had available

They could’ve just paint it and roll it over in the next year. Would you have been happier with that?

It is not hard to understand.  It does not fit with what he is pushing.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It seems like the best chance for us to get Hopkins is for him to go unsigned long enough that he realizes he isn't going to get the contract he wants. It feels like a slim chance at this point though, unfortunately.

Did anyone hear the Pat McAfee show today? I'm hearing that Beane said the ship is still in port for signing DHop. Anybody else hear this?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, wppete said:

Davis and Kincaid are better than Hopkins. Plus the $$$$ factor plays a huge role… 

It’s more like Davis + Kincaid + Leonard Floyd = Hopkins salary. 

Hopkins and Kincaid are better than Davis and Kincaid…Not my money. If it gets us a Super Bowl the money will never be questioned 

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ok, so I watched the interview and have a few thoughts. Some factual and some I speculate based off what we know and what makes sense.

1.(Fact) Been reported that Buffalo was granted and had talks with DHop prior to his release. 

2. (Speculation) After being released I would figure Beane touches base again to see where he's at and what he's looking for now that he's a FA.

3. (Fact) Beane was presented a golden opportunity to shoot down the rumors that he's in negotiations with DHop. He didn't do that. Now, this could be that he wants to give the allusion to other teams that he's lurking...could also be because he is in fact negotiating.

Summary of thought: I believe that Beane has an offer sheet to DHop and his agent basically saying "This is what we can do. We know it's lower than hoped, but shop around and see what you can find. If you find what you want..good. You deserve it. If not, this offer is on the table....give us a call".

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Disagree. 

I think the glaring and more difference making hole on this team is at WR2… It seems McBeane disagree… they have been wrong before you know…. But maybe I’m wrong and they still have room to bring in Hopkins. 

How do you rank most important positions?

They drafted a first round pass catcher.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Disagree. 

I think the glaring and more difference making hole on this team is at WR2… It seems McBeane disagree… they have been wrong before you know…. But maybe I’m wrong and they still have room to bring in Hopkins. 

There are a ton of ways to win in the NFL. Last year the Chiefs won a SB with their WR2 being who, exactly? The year before sure the Rams had OBJ and Kupp...but lost OBJ. Who stepped into the WR2 then? Look at the complete chit show the Giants had at WR last year...still made a run in the playoffs...WITH DANIEL FREAKING JONES at QB.

Davis meets the production threshold of a logical WR2. Doesn't mean he is good to go. Needs to step up and improve still. Consistency, reliability and durability all need work.

In the event Diggs misses time the pressure, however isn't on Davis to suddenly become Diggs. The pressure is on Dorsey to use the WR room he has, the RB room they worked on and the 2 weapons at TE. 

I've seen the point in another thread about Ed Oliver needing a good 3T to maximize his usefulness. A lot of people there make the point that if he was that good he wouldn't need the help of someone else to elevate him. So, borrowing that logic...how much help does Josh Allen actually need to elevate him? If we need Pro Bowl caliber players at ever skill position to get him to elevate...do we then have a Josh Allen problem? 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There are a ton of ways to win in the NFL. Last year the Chiefs won a SB with their WR2 being who, exactly? The year before sure the Rams had OBJ and Kupp...but lost OBJ. Who stepped into the WR2 then? Look at the complete chit show the Giants had at WR last year...still made a run in the playoffs...WITH DANIEL FREAKING JONES at QB.

Davis meets the production threshold of a logical WR2. Doesn't mean he is good to go. Needs to step up and improve still. Consistency, reliability and durability all need work.

In the event Diggs misses time the pressure, however isn't on Davis to suddenly become Diggs. The pressure is on Dorsey to use the WR room he has, the RB room they worked on and the 2 weapons at TE. 

I've seen the point in another thread about Ed Oliver needing a good 3T to maximize his usefulness. A lot of people there make the point that if he was that good he wouldn't need the help of someone else to elevate him. So, borrowing that logic...how much help does Josh Allen actually need to elevate him? If we need Pro Bowl caliber players at ever skill position to get him to elevate...do we then have a Josh Allen problem? 

Oliver is a 3T … he needs a good 1T next to him 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

how much help does Josh Allen actually need to elevate him? If we need Pro Bowl caliber players at ever skill position to get him to elevate...do we then have a Josh Allen problem? 

Mahomes had two players that were among the best at their position on his offense (Kelce and Humphrey), and a top 2 play caller. Allen had one player like that and a rookie play caller. Is it so much to ask for the help given to Allen to be at least equivalent to the help given to Mahomes?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.