Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Same.

There is a reason why he only got a 1 year deal last season and was available in June of this off-season.

No problem having him on the team and i’m sure he can contribute, but let’s not pretend he is some prize.

This administration has a tendency of signing players after their prime when they have lost a lot of their juice that made them special. Guys like Emmanuel Sanders, Vernon Butler, Mario Addison, etc.

Floyd signed a 4 year 64 mil extension with the Rams in 2021..... he was released because they are rebuilding and wanted cap space

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Same.

There is a reason why he only got a 1 year deal last season and was available in June of this off-season.

No problem having him on the team and i’m sure he can contribute, but let’s not pretend he is some prize.

This administration has a tendency of signing players after their prime when they have lost a lot of their juice that made them special. Guys like Emmanuel Sanders, Vernon Butler, Mario Addison, etc.

Good point. I don't think anyone expects a Bruce Smith level of production, but it is still a good signing especially with Von still rehabbing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Could be a sneaky signing. I believe edge was a need Beane wanted filled. Now the roster is complete. Now is when they can try and search for cap for a “luxury” signing. Hopkins would be a luxury signing.

The Roster is complete when we win the Super Bowl. Until then, Beane should be and is looking to get better in any way possible

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Could be a sneaky signing. I believe edge was a need Beane wanted filled. Now the roster is complete. Now is when they can try and search for cap for a “luxury” signing. Hopkins would be a luxury signing.

what would be sneaky about it?

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

what would be sneaky about it?

I don’t think people believe he’s an option anymore.

Just now, Einstein said:

That was several years ago.

He signed a 1 year deal last season and no-one picked him up until June of this off-season.

There is a reason why.

Same with Hopkins that no one wants to listen to.

Floyd isn’t going to fix a pass rush. He’s a complimentary piece.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ok.

Gabe Davis and Kincaid vs Hopkins

Shaq Lawson, AJ Epenesa, Boogie Basham vs Floyd

It’s not even close.

I’ll take Gabe Davis and Kincaid over Hopkins all day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Much rather Hopkins than Floyd. No question. 

I agree Scott, but I have felt all along that Beane could mange to sign one of the last remaining edge rushers AND Hopkins if he executed all of the necessary restructures. Floyd doesn't change that calculation for me. I am assuming that like anyone signed this late in the offseason his cap number will be reasonably low. In other words I don't believe that signing Floyd prevents us from signing Hopkins. Getting another legit edge rusher in the room was 100% necessary IMO.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

call me skeptical a rookie TE will be the difference maker for an offense that struggled to get the other TE involved last season. 

I think Kincaid will have an immediate impact. Don't think of him as a TE. Think of him as Cole Beasley plus. He played in a pro offense at Utah and will be 24 when the season starts. I don't expect much of a ramp up period. Plus Allen specifically wanted him. I am confident he will look to throw him the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We’ll see. Def agree another pass rusher was a need… I figured they would be fine without another one assuming Von comes back healthy and some progression from AJE/Rousseau while adding Hopkins… but if they can get both then yea. Home run. 

I had a vet pass rusher as one of the pieces that the Bills needed (and could get) on defense. Von is likely going to start on the PUP so having a guy like Floyd who can can add a bit of punch to the pass rush in Von's absence was a nice add. I see 3-4 holes on the roster. WR, swing tackle and MLB. Adding D-Hop would fill the WR need and hopefully, they can find a swing tackle so Dawkins has an actual backup on the roster. MLB is likely not going to be filled but I can live with Klein and the younger players, if a cheap vet is there to kick the tires on why not?

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The teams success rides a hell of a lot more on the offense than it does the defense.

Bills offensive skill set doesn’t match up with the perceived top dogs of the conference IMO… and I like Kincaid… call me skeptical a rookie TE will be the difference maker for an offense that struggled to get the other TE involved last season. 

My point is I’d much rather take my chances with the defense without Floyd(who is a good player)while having an offense with Hopkins opposite Diggs…. But McBeane priorities don’t surprise me. 

The Bengals game was a mess - no arguing that.  But didn't we still have a top 2 or 3 overall offense while playing in one of the better defensive divisions in football?  We scored at will in the 2021 playoffs and where did that get us? (don't get me wrong - i love scoring at will)

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Not worried about MLB. Agree WR and RT are the teams most significant holes. 

The Bills depth need along the O-line is LT in my opinion. I love Dawkins but if he got hurt who the hell is his backup? Doyle was never that great and is coming off a torn ACL. Queese, Snell and Brown are all RT's. I don't mind McBeane brining back Queese he is a solid vet backup and can flex around a bit and Snell was some nice competition for Brown, but why is there not a contingency for Dawkins on the roster?

If the Bills can add a true decent swing tackle and Hopkins they will have done all they can do in terms of roster building. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I agree Scott, but I have felt all along that Beane could mange to sign one of the last remaining edge rushers AND Hopkins if he executed all of the necessary restructures. Floyd doesn't change that calculation for me. I am assuming that like anyone signed this late in the offseason his cap number will be reasonably low. In other words I don't believe that signing Floyd prevents us from signing Hopkins. Getting another legit edge rusher in the room was 100% necessary IMO.

I think Kincaid will have an immediate impact. Don't think of him as a TE. Think of him as Cole Beasley plus. He played in a pro offense at Utah and will be 24 when the season starts. I don't expect much of a ramp up period. Plus Allen specifically wanted him. I am confident he will look to throw him the ball.

Kincaid hasn't proven anything against NFL caliber DBs/LBs. Much rather have a known commodity with all the 1 year deals 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It seems like the best chance for us to get Hopkins is for him to go unsigned long enough that he realizes he isn't going to get the contract he wants. It feels like a slim chance at this point though, unfortunately.

That overly dramatic Tweet by Wawrow reminds me of his infamous antics on here announcing his departure.

I'll be rooting for Hopkins more than ever. Would love to see Beane put Johnny 🤡 in his place  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.