Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It's impossible to be "clutch" if you're not consistent.

It's an oxymoron.

Brady was clutch because he was so consistently good at the end of games.

"Clutch" means making good plays at key moments.  You can be inconsistent but then make excellent plays when needed and be considered clutch. 

And this is exactly what Gabe was doing when he made spectacular toe tapping catches at the end of the first half against Indy in the playoffs, and then the explosion of offense he put up against KC.

51 minutes ago, julian said:

Elam and Cook needed to be on the field more, that was a failure IMHO. Shakir was a much less important piece of the puzzle.

If people are saying McDermott has a long history of mishandling rookies that’s obviously incorrect.

Elam wasn't ready. He's a press corner that needed to learn and get better at zone coverage. Benford played meaningful snaps because he was better suited for the defense.

Cook not being ready was two fold, I believe. One at his position no use running him into the rookie wall early. Two, as he showed even late in the season he had some struggles reading pass protection as well as breaking off his routes a bit early or free lancing...which lead to 2 Allen INTs I can recall off the to of my head. 

Again...not rushing guys on the field due to draft position rather than getting them out there when they are ready is a GOOD thing and the result of a deep roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

"Clutch" means making good plays at key moments.  

Then you have a very different definition of "clutch" than many of us.

If you are not consistent, you can not be clutch. To be clutch, is to be consistent in key moments.

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

And this is exactly what Gabe was doing when he made spectacular toe tapping catches at the end of the first half against Indy in the playoffs, and then the explosion of offense he put up against KC.

So Gabe is "clutch" because of 1.5 good games?

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

There were a few fans who questioned Davis stepping into the #2 role considering his inconsistencies that many here either forgot about or ignored after his big game in the divisional round against KC…. But just a couple weeks earlier against the Jets in Week 18, he was god awful. 

One big game does not equal “upward trend”… see post above. He sucked just two weeks before his big game and struggled in season at times in 2021 like he had this last season.

In both playoff games he came up big.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

"Clutch" means making good plays at key moments.  You can be inconsistent but then make excellent plays when needed and be considered clutch. 

Let's not get carried away with the "clutch" moniker..........yes Gabe Davis has had 3 excellent playoff games........but he has also had 3 bad playoff performances where he totaled just 2 catches on 11 targets for 34 yards. :sick:

The 7th game he played in was the "perfect game" against NE where he had a modest 41 yards receiving in a blowout win.

He is defined by his inconsistency.

Even in big games like the AFCCG where he got shut out..........or just in big moments(like the critical drop late in that terrible Jaguars loss in 2021).

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let's not get carried away with the "clutch" moniker..........yes Gabe Davis has had 3 excellent playoff games........but he has also had 3 bad playoff performances where he totaled just 2 catches on 11 targets for 34 yards. :sick:

I'm not even sure we can call it 3 excellent games.

Everyone remembers the 2 toe-tap catches in the first half against Indi.

But no one seems to remember he only had 1 (ONE) reception the entire second half, in a game that we almost lost.

That's no excellent game in my opinion. He has 2 excellent playoff games, 1 mediocre playoff game, and 3 BAD playoff games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Elam wasn't ready. He's a press corner that needed to learn and get better at zone coverage. Benford played meaningful snaps because he was better suited for the defense.

Cook not being ready was two fold, I believe. One at his position no use running him into the rookie wall early. Two, as he showed even late in the season he had some struggles reading pass protection as well as breaking off his routes a bit early or free lancing...which lead to 2 Allen INTs I can recall off the to of my head. 

Again...not rushing guys on the field due to draft position rather than getting them out there when they are ready is a GOOD thing and the result of a deep roster.

Playing rookies in 2022-23 is not rushing, it’s not 1985.

we can just agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

not rushing guys on the field due to draft position rather than getting them out there when they are ready is a GOOD thing and the result of a deep roster.

If a player can't play year 1, then they shouldn't be a 1st round pick.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The 7th game he played in was the "perfect game" against NE where he had a modest 41 yards receiving in a blowout win.

He is defined by his inconsistency.

Even in big games like the AFCCG where he got shut out..........or just in big moments(like the critical drop late in that terrible Jaguars loss in 2021).

it’s weird that a 4.55 forty guy with lower body issues and an underdeveloped short/medium game is inconsistent. 

honestly, the strangest part is he so often hits deep.

he has to figure out the possession piece of the game if he’s going to be successful. Good hands and move the chains is how a 4.55 guy earns his weekly check, the deep ball is the icing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

it’s weird that a 4.55 forty guy with lower body issues and an underdeveloped short/medium game is inconsistent. 

honestly, the strangest part is he so often hits deep.

he has to figure out the possession piece of the game if he’s going to be successful. Good hands and move the chains is how a 4.55 guy earns his weekly check, the deep ball is the icing. 

Long striding WR's have that advantage over most CB's on the deep ball because CB's gotta' be able to chop it up and cover short routes as well........so they generally aren't going to be long striders.    That said.........when he faces better CB's they tend to be able to track him down and he's not good if those throws are contested(see the 70 yard throw that went thru his arms with Sauce nearby at the end of the loss at Meadowlands last season).

He's just not talented enough to be a top WR2 because there are a lot of good CB2's nowadays.   The problem gets magnified when teams can put CB1 on Gabe and double Diggs.    

But if Gabe is the clear WR3 or is playing a banged up secondary.........he can excel against low quality CB's.......like he did in his great game in KC against their beat up secondary.

2 hours ago, julian said:

Playing rookies in 2022-23 is not rushing, it’s not 1985.

we can just agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

If a player can't play year 1, then they shouldn't be a 1st round pick.

You play the best players. Period. Has nothing to do with what year it is. Case in point Elam didn't start week 1. But Benford (a rookie) DID. He earned it. Rookies on this team get the playing time they earn. We can agree to disagree, but your take on it being a rookies just flat out sit under McD is wrong.

To the second; as I showed up above except for Elam last year traditionally 1st rounders in the McD/Beane era HAVE been starters or taken over by years end. White, Edmunds, Allen, Oliver, Groot....all played significant snaps year one...and Elam saw a LOT of work late and into the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Elam saw a LOT of work late and into the playoffs. 

Not really.

The Bills used him less and less as the season went on.

The first 6 games of the season, Elam averaged 81% of the defensive snaps.

The last 6 games of the season, Elam averaged 35.1% of the defensive, and was a healthy inactive in one of those games.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/30/inside-deandre-hopkins-release-options-bills-chiefs

Some team execs quoted:

"not much left".  "he can't run anymore".

"he's not going to separate, not much of a deep threat"

“Does not love to practice—I can’t imagine that’ll get any better. And when things don’t go well, you’re always gonna be leery, All right, what kind of drama are we gonna get from this guy? When things are great, he’s great. When things go south, his true colors show a little bit."

No teams but Bills and Chiefs gave him a whiff...

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/30/inside-deandre-hopkins-release-options-bills-chiefs

Some team execs quoted:

“Does not love to practice—I can’t imagine that’ll get any better. And when things don’t go well, you’re always gonna be leery, All right, what kind of drama are we gonna get from this guy? When things are great, he’s great. When things go south, his true colors show a little bit."

I saw this earlier today and I think its a bit dramatic.  I do agree on parts of it and I still do not think he is not the missing piece by any stretch in Buffalo.  

The last thing Allen needs is two ego maniac wr yelling at him in the huddle and on the sideline when they are behind or are struggling. 

WR never put teams over the top.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I saw this earlier today and I think its a bit dramatic.  I do agree on parts of it and I still do not think he is not the missing piece by any stretch in Buffalo.  

The last thing Allen needs is two ego maniac wr yelling at him in the huddle and on the sideline when they are behind or are struggling. 

it wasn’t a dramatic piece.  A fact based assessment as to why he’s still not signed.  

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Some team execs quoted:

He NEVER was a DEEP THREAT. Can he catch the ball? I think he can be a better version of Beasley for Josh. A reliable safety valve 

You play the best players. Period. Has nothing to do with what year it is. Case in point Elam didn't start week 1. But Benford (a rookie) DID. He earned it. Rookies on this team get the playing time they earn. We can agree to disagree, but your take on it being a rookies just flat out sit under McD is wrong.

To the second; as I showed up above except for Elam last year traditionally 1st rounders in the McD/Beane era HAVE been starters or taken over by years end. White, Edmunds, Allen, Oliver, Groot....all played significant snaps year one...and Elam saw a LOT of work late and into the playoffs. 

A first round pick who does not play significant snaps as a rookie, has wasted a valuable rookie contract year. 

36 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Most Super Bowls are won by teams with the deepest DT rotation.  You can look it up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.