Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

4 hours ago, muppy said:

I was antsy about this signing thinking that if it were to be Buffalo he would make that decision quickly after he was dropped by AZ

The longer this lags the less I think he will sign here. I could be wrong but my spidey senses say No

Im taking my 🍿 to the movies and out of this thread.

D Hopkins can sign here or not but as of now i give up UNCLE. I'm NOT a patient person.  I dont like being frustrated with something I have zero control over

I’m in the same boat here and I’ve lost steam on this. I think he will sign wherever he gets the most money and that won’t be us. Can’t say I really blame him…..

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A source?  Don't be an idiot. :lol:

That implies it's not public knowledge.

Beane spent upwards of $100M in UFA that year and got Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, Vontae Davis, AJ McCarron, Chris Ivory,  Russell Bodine and Marshall Newhouse.    Star was ultimately paid $40M+ to play 3 seasons.   Murphy got ALL of his money.    

If it makes you feel better to dismiss my takes out of hand that's your prerogative as a message board reader.   As the owner of TBD could tell you.........NOBODY has been more right when assessing the Bills personnel and coaches since this site began in 1998.   And I'm far from only negative.   I have plenty of players or coaches that I defend on TSW against criticism that is wrong.    Incorrect criticisms of Beane as well.

So ignore me telling you that Isaiah McKenzie is too dumb and clumsy to be your starting slot WR and then you can be that guy posting after he's gone asking "what went wrong?".  :lol:

you know some things I agree with you and some I do not. To the bolded at the bottom everything you said is spot on. You and I went back and fourth one time about me having higher hopes on McKenzie and you were right and I was wrong.. So bolded I agree with...

Saying to someone don't be an idiot? i do not lol but that is me.. 

as someone said much of this is said and done anyhow. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, muppy said:

I was antsy about this signing thinking that if it were to be Buffalo he would make that decision quickly after he was dropped by AZ

The longer this lags the less I think he will sign here. I could be wrong but my spidey senses say No

Im taking my 🍿 to the movies and out of this thread.

D Hopkins can sign here or not but as of now i give up UNCLE. I'm NOT a patient person.  I dont like being frustrated with something I have zero control over

My feeling is Beane looks at Hopkins as a luxury item. Maybe he'd like him. But with the additions of Dalton Kincaid and Justin Shorter in the Draft to go with the signings of Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield combined with having Stefon Diggs, Dawson Knox, and Gabe Davis already - he probably doesn't feel he's a "need".

The idea of doing restructures that he may or may not be comfortable with (as if he were, he'd have done those amongst the many he's done already), moving on from someone he had plans for, and/or uncharacteristically backloading a contract with dead cap hit years - doesn't jive with a luxury item. Maybe he'd do some of these things if he felt he needed it. But I think we're beyond that point now.

My guess is he probably looked into it and he's watching how things go. If Hopkins really wants to come here, he'll accept what Beane is comfortable offering. Which won't be on par with what he can probably get elsewhere. Probably incentive laden and not near what Cover 1 has implied we "could" do. Just because we could do that doesn't mean it's something Beane would do. Especially not for a luxury.

In the end, my guess is Beane is waiting for someone to overpay for him and that'll be that. If he comes around to our team friendly offer, great. If he doesn't, he's not stressing it. But one thing is for sure, Beane's not going to go balls to the wall and getting into a bidding war at this point. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

One of those guys is a 5th round pick who underwhelmed in college and the other two are flyer signings… Relying on Kincaid as a rookie to elevate everyone else is a big ask… either way, if Beane doesn’t think he has a need there then I questions his judgement at the position(like I did last season, and the one before that).

You, like many other members of the board, are looking in a "haven't heard of him" Madden sense. There's no saying just because Hopkins is a "name" superstar that he's clearly going to provide our offense more than some of the others.

GM's don't spend 1st Round picks on pass catchers and then go "yeah, we can't rely on them, better get further coverage on top of the 1st we just spent". You spend a 1st Round pick because you have plans for them and big plans. Harty may not be a superstar name, but he got a pretty hefty contract because teams around the league saw his 2021 campaign in his first extended duty as a speed WR instead of simply a return man. Teams, mainly us, saw untapped potential that could lead to a Superstar. That's why we paid what we paid and with that contract comes obviously a plan of usage. A 2 year 9.5m dollar contract is not a "flyer". 

As for Sherfield and Shorter, one is a guy who was the #3 WR for most of his career, including a good year for Miami last season in that role. He'll be asked to do even less here. And Shorter, while "underwhelming" in College, has traits and size that could be untapped potential while developing. Neither of these players are going anywhere. And there's still Gabe Davis. And while most of the board feels he's trash and shouldn't even be here, it's clear Beane doesn't feel the same way.

So while you or others may worry about what could or couldn't be with people like Kincaid and Harty, Beane put heavy assets into them for a reason. He obviously believes in these players. In conjunction with what we already have. We had needs. Those needs have been addressed to a point where there isn't holes anymore. Whether you or others feel those moves were enough is moot. They were made and they aren't going anywhere.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  I don’t think there was anymore more vocal than me all off season last year about McKenzie not being a good slot WR and not a starter in the NFL.  Read my post on it in the McKenzie thread I posted like an hour ago.

And I was poking fun which is why I tagged you in my post about you being negative all the time, I think you took that too literally and less tongue in cheek as it was intended.  

But you are hyper negative plenty of times, but again, it was more tongue in cheek than anything.  

1. McKenzie wasn't a literal example.   It was an example of a newly created thread which asked a question that I had long ago answered in great detail.......with great accuracy........with a thread I started last season.  And in numerous posts ever since.   Point being that if you dismiss my takes out of hand you would have missed the Lil' Dummy takes.

2. You didn't tag me in the post.  This is tagging: @Alphadawg7 .   You added the emoji to make it seem "T-I-C" like 5 hours ago........after my response.......when you edited it. :lol:   So not it wasn't tongue in cheek at the time.   That doesn't bother me one way or the other.   The truth is what it is important......Beane spent a ton of money on garbage in UFA in 2018.......trying to dismiss that fact because you want to discredit the messenger is just perpetuating ignorance.  

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Of course it’s moot… we have no say on personnel signings.

Simply a prediction that Beane will wrong(again) about this WR group if he thinks it’s a good one with what they got IMO.

It's better than last year. With upgrades at Slot with Dalton Kincaid (who is a TE in name only, actually a WR) and better depth underneath Diggs and Davis with Deonte Harty and Trent Shefield. Our core on paper is better than most teams in the league not named Cincinnati. People are obsessed with the idea of taking it from a core that is in the top echelon to the #1 core in the league. But even without Hopkins, we still have a Top 5 WR and have made moves to take things off of his and Gabe Davis' plate - who even in an underwhelming year ranked among the top half of #2 WR's statistically last season. That's what makes Hopkins a luxury, not a "need".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.