Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

8 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

However, isn’t the point of a message board to discuss what WE think as fans, including roster management/depth?\

Only if you agree with the homers.

If not, you're just a "contrarian" who knows nothing.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Players don't realize anything near their contract...Taxes, Agents, Managers, etc.  Shaquille O'Neal was talking about his first season where he had a $100M contract at $20M a season...he only saw $10.9M of that, and after he bought a house and stuff it was gone fast in 3 months.  

And then you factor in how much shorter an NFL players career is compared to other sports, how much less they make, and the contracts not being fully guaranteed and its not a surprise that a guy nearing his last significant earning opportunity in his career is going to look to get as much as he can.  Buffalo was not the only team he wanted to play for...Allen was not the only QB he wanted to play with.  He was always going to take the best contract he can get amongst the teams he is interested in playing for.  And quite frankly, he should, I don't blame him.  

Agreed. After all is said and done players only take home maybe a little over 50% of their contract amount. Then you add in all of their expenses and many high earning players don’t have the cash flow you’d think they do.

I also think it’s easy for fans to say “I don’t get why he won’t take less money. He’s earned a bunch already”…

But I’d be willing to bet that most fans, if faced with the choice of playing for $2M or playing for $10M would choose the $10M nine times out of ten. Not many people are willing to turn down significantly more money. It’s easy to say you would in theory, but a lot harder if actually given the chance.

DHop doesn’t have many payday’s left now and has no loyalties to Buffalo.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

and Terry will have agreed, ( yes he is in on this too) it’s that simple.

lol what?

GM's get fired all the time for making decisions that the owner allowed or agreed to. Literally every year.

Do you think Doug Whaley was making personnel decisions that the Pegulas told him not to? Lol

34 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

I appreciate you explaining this to ME like I’m five. I don’t disagree with you. That is the way it seems. However, isn’t the point of a message board to discuss what WE think as fans, including roster management/depth?

It is MY opinion THEY are taking a serious risk by relying on a rookie tight end to come in and give THEM the immediate and consistent production THEY need week over week. Especially, with a bankable and proven player out there looking for a team that would more likely than not make this offense incredibly dangerous by putting him out there with Diggs.

Get creative and get it done. Or will this be another scenario where Beane’s reluctance to pull the trigger bites him in the ass like the possible Von Miller trade a couple years ago that he balked at? Sometimes this regime is too risk averse. I’m not a fan

who would blame them if I saw they were trying everything by taking a big swing on Hopkins and it didn’t pan out. Plus, if it does work out and, WE (yes, WE because we would all share in that elation) get a ring, how much would we really care what it took from future seasons to get it? FCOL, just get one in my lifetime. 

@Alphadawg7 already spoke to this, quite well.

Maybe we don't hit on all our offseason moves, but odds are in our favor that we will at least be better in the Slot and IOL...which will have a sizeable impact IMO.

I'll add Dorsey too, another polarizing figure around here.  But I'm counting on him doing an even better job in Year 2, and the impact that will have on our offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If that is true, then Beane should be fired as he doesnt understand the current NFL.

I'm hopeful that Beane doesn't in actuality agree with your assessment.

Whether Part 1 is true or not doesn't eliminate Part 2.

And that being a team trading for Ed Oliver on a 1 year deal for 10.75m guaranteed cap hit this late into the Offseason is more unlikely than us landing Hopkins. Hopkins himself probably isn't going to get a 10.75m cap hit with whatever team he signs with this year.

If that was something Beane was interested in doing and if there was a team calling interested in taking him on with that deal, it would have happened by now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

Both the Bills and the Dolphins have VERY full RB rooms at the moment. I don't see either team making a beeline to sign him despite the early off season rumors that Miami wanted him. Minnesota did him a bit dirty hanging onto him this long when most RB needy teams have spent FA money and high draft capital on RBs.

55 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No actually there won’t be hell to pay, Beane will have made his top offer, and Terry will have agreed, ( yes he is in on this too) it’s that simple.

Only fans will whimper and moan, and some will do that for freaking years, much to most of the board members dismay…, 

This thread is devolving into a repeating echo chamber, much like the other Dhop zombie thread that finally got put to death, (thanks Mods 👍) the only relevant information going forward would be one of two things, he was signed, or he was not signed. 

Now everyone go get a beverage of your choice and enjoy it with friends, 🍸🚬 😁👍 Doctors orders, it’s medicinal, 

Go Bills!!!

Now is not the time to be a conservative tight wad now is the time to bring home a Lombardi for Buffalo. If not now, when?

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

But I’d be willing to bet that most fans, if faced with the choice of playing for $2M or playing for $10M would choose the $10M nine times out of ten. Not many people are willing to turn down significantly more money. It’s easy to say you would in theory, but a lot harder if actually given the chance.

DHop doesn’t have many payday’s left now and has no loyalties to Buffalo.

No one cares about a player taking as much money as they can. People get annoyed when players are out there flirting with their franchise just to drive up the price somewhere else. DHop has done nothing but drop hints he wants to play here, I don't really see the point if we've made our best and final offer and he doesn't want to accept it. He should just say he's looking for the best opportunity amongst the teams who will pay him the most and I don't think anyone would begrudge him that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

No one cares about a player taking as much money as they can. People get annoyed when players are out there flirting with their franchise just to drive up the price somewhere else. DHop has done nothing but drop hints he wants to play here, I don't really see the point if we've made our best and final offer and he doesn't want to accept it. He should just say he's looking for the best opportunity amongst the teams who will pay him the most and I don't think anyone would begrudge him that. 

I would add it's not like DHop was the only one playing the Bills. Look at how many here were saying the knew someone who said he is definitely coming. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you need to make peace with the idea DHop likey is not going to be a Buffalo Bill.  You seem to think every vague reference, facial expression, hand signal, smoke signal, etc means we are getting Hopkins but then deny any credible person or report that suggests we are not in on him as much as you think or we may not be in on him at all anymore.  

If Beane was willing to do all things you think he could do, and wanted Hopkins bad enough, he would already be a Bill.  What has most likely gone on is we have made a highest and best offer and left it at that.  If DHop was good with that offer, he would already be a Bill because he stated he wants to play here with Allen multiple times.  But he has also listed a number of other teams and QB's he would like to play with too, so no surprise he is looking for the best offer amongst those teams.  And as of right now, we are not the best offer clearly.  

There is no way Beane feels like DHop is a "must" get player, or again, he would already be a Bill.  We rebuilt the cupboard of weapons for Allen as it is, rebuilt the OL and refreshed the run game.  At this point, it is pretty clear Beane has interest, but only to a certain extent and isn't going to go past that, or once again he would already be a Bill.  

I would love to add DHop, but won't panic if we don't get him either.  And at this point, my expectations are that he won't be a Bill because there is zero reason for him not to already be a Bill if we were offering him enough, which we clearly are not.  So I think the only way he comes here is if he finds the market for him to be lower than he expects and that our offer is competitive enough that he is willing to take it.  

I’m not so sure there’s anything left out there that he’d typically consider taking it. Arizona got back at him by waiting this long to cut him where FA, the Draft and any decent player have found a team and the money is gone for any decent team.

Longer it goes keeps the Bills viable.  They are bot going crazy.  I think if D hop is open to less money Buffalo will be back in.  Too many teams without wrs have money.  I think he will get a real deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Look at how many here were saying the knew someone who said he is definitely coming. 

Where is that high school WR coach who because of the position he coached obviously had ties to and knowledge of the inner workings of NFL GM circles? 😂

I’ll predict that IF he does take a visit here, we sign him

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I take it the Bills not “going All in” on him simply means they aren’t willing to meet his current asking price, which is likely 15-19 mil per.

The longer this goes, it would seem less likely any team will give him that $

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.