Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Remember I’m talking released WR’s, not players traded or their contracts running out. I only went back about 10 years. I tried to only look at top players. 

Dez Bryant - Cowboys released at 30, finished.

Brandon Marshall - Jets released at 32, finished.

Demaryius Thomas RIP -Texans released at 31

Jordy Nelson - Packers released at 32, finished

Julio Jones - Titans released at 32, finished

Golden Tate - Giants released at 32, finished

Jarvis Landry - Browns released at 30, finished

This year 2 former WR1s, Adam Thielan, 32, and DeAndre Hopkins, 31, were released.

AJ Green?

It'd be nice to have him, but I'm hoppin' off the "gotta get him" train. I don't blame him for trying to max his value, this is the money he's gonna live off of forever. However, I don't think we're in a position to overpay for WR2 and I think Beane is of the same mindset. If he's gonna chase money over rings he should just head to Cleveland and be mediocre - no judgement from me on that decision.  

I'd rather take this money and pay Justin Houston, our DEs stink. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

It'd be nice to have him, but I'm hoppin' off the "gotta get him" train. I don't blame him for trying to max his value, this is the money he's gonna live off of forever. However, I don't think we're in a position to overpay for WR2 and I think Beane is of the same mindset. If he's gonna chase money over rings he should just head to Cleveland and be mediocre - no judgement from me on that decision.  

Houston has signed some pretty cheap contracts recently. He may be available for 2-3 million.  You could get both, depending on how the Bills structure a Hopkins deal  (Tre White or Dawkins restructured) 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jerry Rice wasn’t cut until 38 years old. Randy Moss was a physical freak who dogged it in Oakland. Also NE traded for Moss, he wasn’t released.

Im just saying. Hopkins was cut. No team was willing to throw a 6th or anything to get him. He’s been available all offseason, before teams set their WRs rooms.

That is not true though...teams were willing to trade, they weren't willing to take his salary as is because of the cap.  Big difference there.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Houston has signed some pretty cheap contracts recently. He may be available for 2-3 million.  You could get both, depending on how the Bills structure a Hopkins deal  (Tre White or Dawkins restructured) 

I'd do Houston first and then structure DHop around what is left. I wouldn't miss out on a much-needed DE for DHop. I think Kincaid eats into Gabe's reception numbers enough that I'm fine with him as WR2.

26 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Glad you came around

41 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

AJ Green?

I believe his contract with Cincinnati ran out. Was he released by Cincinnati?

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is not true though...teams were willing to trade, they weren't willing to take his salary as is because of the cap.  Big difference there.  

His salary could’ve been cut down to $4-5 million cap hit with a restructure. That wasn’t the reason. Teams had cap space at the start of the offseason. Teams didn’t trade for Hopkins.

What you basically said is teams don’t view Hopkins as a WR1 anymore. Not even a low end WR1. That’s what his contract was. A low end WR1.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

4 hours ago, arcane said:

Nobody thinks they'll be huge contributors. Reasonable people think they can improve on Mckenzie and Kumerow, while the RBs run through a fortified interior OL. And we won 14 football games last season,out of 18.

The Jets finished SIX games behind us. They better hope that they progress a bit!!

The only thing the Jets were missing from last year was competent QB play. They got much much better there and they still went 1-1 with us last year. 

we replaced WRs with other WRs that have never put up statistics of the guys they were brought in to replace. Yet some are thinking they will be sure upgrades to what we previously had. 

yup. Makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I wouldn't mind adding either a pure X or an inside/out guy, as it allows Diggs to be more of an inside/out guy - he's far too perimeter oriented right now. You might see some of that from Kincaid and Knox though, as one of them could play that X spot, allowing the shift.

With Hop, I think he's a pure X, and still a top 20 X in the League, and would be the ideal 2nd perimeter player alongside Davis. Think he's worth breaking the bank for, as he'd be an exponential addition because of how much more lethal Diggs would be, due to being able to create more friendly match ups & space for him

Edited by appoo

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

See above 

I see nothing that says they will be HUGE contributors.  That again is stretching the truth.  

So what the Jets beat us last year.  Upsets happen.  The Super Bowl Champion Chiefs lost to the Colts and rookie Malik Willis to them to overtime.  

Do you think this strengthens your arguments or something?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

The only thing the Jets were missing from last year was competent QB play. They got much much better there and they still went 1-1 with us last year. 

we replaced WRs with other WRs that have never put up statistics of the guys they were brought in to replace. Yet some are thinking they will be sure upgrades to what we previously had. 

yup. Makes sense. 

The Bills are an elite football team that went 13-3, almost certainly got better, and will hopefully be healthier. The Jets won 7 games, didn't score a touchdown in their last 3 and added a 39 year old QB who hasn't shown anything other than mediocrity in at least 16 months now

I don't care that the jets went 1-1 against us in 2022. The Chiefs didn't care in 2021 that the raiders beat them in 2020. It's completely irrelevant 

• Like (+1) 2

This team isn't far from a pantheon level offense folks

• Spencer getting 15% better at RT (which might be much more if he can recover fully from that back injury, and make a mini leap)
  • No longer a disaster at guard (this is done with the addition of McGovern, you can not properly express how much of an improvement this is going to be), which makes the entire line better
  • A better run game with more versatility - check, with the addition of Damien Harris, who forms a formidable 1-2 punch with James Cook, and the Bills finally have a big, fast red zone back not named Josh Allen
  • an effective slot weapon - Dalton Kincaid, enough said here
  • A way to make Diggs an inside/out guy.  This is the the elevator to raise the bills from elite offense to one of the greatest in the history of the league. Without Hop, the Bills will have a top 5 offense with the above Bullets. With Hop? Well good luck to any Defense in the league
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Preston Williams is interesting.  I don't know who the other guy is.

There are currently 13 WR's on the roster.  Camp competition 

Strikes me as a situation where Beane is sitting at a table with Ateman/Williams, Hopkins is at a table with Hoodie/B.O’B, but Beane and Hopkins really just want to keep trying to steal glances at each other.

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

depends on the skill set. many of the guys you have listed fell off a cliff because their games were predicated on their speed & quickness. 

Hopkins' game is not based on speed & quickness, he was never great at getting separation, his game is making tough catches in traffic. Which is what this offense needs desperately. 

The Jets went out and put their balls on the line. It may work out, it may not, but I wish our bills put their balls on the line like that

What would be the equivalent for the Bills? A team that went 13-3 going through an insane level of injuries and bringing back a top 3 roster?

8 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

depends on the skill set. many of the guys you have listed fell off a cliff because their games were predicated on their speed & quickness. 

Hopkins' game is not based on speed & quickness, he was never great at getting separation, his game is making tough catches in traffic. Which is what this offense needs desperately. 

The Jets went out and put their balls on the line. It may work out, it may not, but I wish our bills put their balls on the line like that

bandito?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.