Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just doing some research a lot of big name former WR1’s have been cut around the age 30-32 that didn’t do much for their next team or were simply done. It’s actually pretty interesting.

well....care to share any of your interesting findings?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just doing some research a lot of big name former WR1’s have been cut around the age 30-32 that didn’t do much for their next team or were simply done. It’s actually pretty interesting.

I mean I am sure there are quite a few WRs entering their 30's that weren't able to keep up but why are we all acting like Hopkins is old and washed up? Diggs is 18 months younger. Is Diggs old and washed up next year too?

Edited by What a Tuel

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Randy moss had his most productive year of his career when he signed with the Patriots at age 30.  He still played at an elite level until he retired at 34.

Jerry Rice was having productive seasons up until he was 40.

Edited by Lost
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

but but but, Lofton!  (Kidding, although what a great timely pickup he was back when).

I imagine the #'s are quite glaring. HOWEVER, consider with DHop that speed was never his greatest asset. It's really been positioning and hands with him for his career. Might make him a more valuable add post 30.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

Was it the Audacy app? That is the worst app out there. Absolutely horrible. Not sure how they can't work the kinks out of it. 

Yes, the Audacy app.

I’d be more surprised, but it’s 2023 and the powers that be still can’t even figure out audio for those asking Qs at press conferences…

Plus, my work does not freely provide its wifi password so that doesn’t help. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lost said:

Randy moss had his most productive year of his career when he signed with the Patriots at age 30.  He still played at an elite level until he retired at 34.

Jerry Rice was having productive seasons up until he was 40.

Jerry Rice wasn’t cut until 38 years old. Randy Moss was a physical freak who dogged it in Oakland. Also NE traded for Moss, he wasn’t released.

Im just saying. Hopkins was cut. No team was willing to throw a 6th or anything to get him. He’s been available all offseason, before teams set their WRs rooms.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'd be curious to know what QB they left and then which QB they ended up with. My first instinct is these guys chased the money and ended up with less than stellar QB play. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jerry Rice wasn’t cut until 38 years old. Randy Moss was a physical freak who dogged it in Oakland. Also NE traded for Moss, he wasn’t released.

Im just saying. Hopkins was cut. No team was willing to throw a 6th or anything to get him. He’s been available all offseason, before teams set their WRs rooms.

I’m not sure we know this to be true given his contract likely was a major blockade to dealing him.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone a potential Hopkins destination?

The Dolphins are going to use that space to pick up an edge rusher.
This makes sense I think DHOP is bound for the Browns to finish third in that division too depending what you think of Pitt in year two of Kenny Pickett 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cmon man. You know that was the contract not the talent.  Do better. 

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Spill the Tea then mate

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This ain't the tea you promised.  Tell us about those "lot" of big name former WR1 cut around age 30-32 who didn't do much for the next team or were done.

Hopkins was due $19M and change with a big $$ next contract.  He's coming off a season where he was suspended 6 games for PED, following a season ending injury the previous season.  He hasn't been available as a FA, Arizona wanted to trade him.  His contract severely limited his trade market.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Cards did not cut Hopkins thinking their team would be better this year. They are likely tanking.

27 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

well....care to share any of your interesting findings?

Remember I’m talking released WR’s, not players traded or their contracts running out. I only went back about 10 years. I tried to only look at top players. 

Dez Bryant - Cowboys released at 30, finished.

Brandon Marshall - Jets released at 32, finished.

Demaryius Thomas RIP -Texans released at 31

Jordy Nelson - Packers released at 32, finished

Julio Jones - Titans released at 32, finished

Golden Tate - Giants released at 32, finished

Jarvis Landry - Browns released at 30, finished

This year 2 former WR1s, Adam Thielan, 32, and DeAndre Hopkins, 31, were released.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Remember I’m talking released WR’s, not players traded or their contracts running out. I only went back about 10 years. I tried to only look at top players. 

This year 2 former WR1s, Adam Thielan, 32, and DeAndre Hopkins, 31, were released.

I think there is some validity to what you're saying.  However, I would add in how many games those players missed in their last 3 seasons, and what their production was in their last season.

Hopkins doesn't have either of those concerns.  I have no reason to believe he wouldn't make a huge impact to us.  I'd like to see a 3 year deal, with a way out after 2

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

The Cards did not cut Hopkins thinking their team would be better this year. They are likely tanking.

It’s not about the Cardinals. It’s about all other teams saying no to trading for Hopkins all offseason. 

Money plays a role, but his contract wasn’t bad for a WR1. That means all 32 teams don’t think Hopkins is a WR1 anymore.

His contract was high for a WR2. He’ll likely sign a WR2 contract. I want Hopkins, but there are red flags.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think there is some validity to what you're saying.  However, I would add in how many games those players missed in their last 3 seasons, and what their production was in their last season.

Hopkins doesn't have either of those concerns.  I have no reason to believe he wouldn't make a huge impact to us.  I'd like to see a 3 year deal, with a way out after 2

Injuries are definitely a factor. I think him getting released is the eye opener for me. 

Maybe things changed from the Cardinals point of view but by then teams were set at WR. I think Baltimore would’ve easily traded for Hopkins instead of signing OBJ. But maybe the price to trade for Hopkins was higher when they chose OBJ.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Good info

I still want Hopkins but this helps in context

Only thing I would add is that if he actually had been traded his comps would look a lot better

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.