Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

chiefs beat writer jesse newell of the kc star doesn't believe the chiefs will sign hopkins, per a recent podcast. believes the chiefs did their due diligence earlier in the offseason and moved in a different direction. among the reasons:

1) the chiefs drafted a WR (rashee rice) early. this signaled the chiefs were moving on from hopkins

2) the chiefs believe in toney as a future star and think skyy moore will take another step forward.

3) the chiefs would have to borrow against their future, and veach typically hasn't wanted to do that. 

4) the chiefs don't want to stunt the growth of their younger WRs in favor of an expensive vet who is likely on the downside of career.

he also noted the chiefs wr's this year are likely better than last year. juju was out or injured for the majority of the year; toney missed time with lingering injuries; skyy moore didn't know the offense well and had a very limited role; mecole harman missed essentially the entire season. and yet, the chiefs offense was still essentially the #1 offense in the league and mahomes was the mvp. the chiefs believe moore takes a step forward and rice can contribute right away, with some potential diamonds in the rough on the roster (the two rosses).

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's always funny to pop into a thread to try to read the latest updates on the situation, only to see that it has temporarily devolved into a dick measuring contest. 

12 inches here.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Seems like there is a strong vibe about him now going to Cleveland to reunite with the nfls version of Bill Cosby. 
I could see it I’m starting to think he winds up there as I just don’t think the money works for the Bills.

I think Brandon would definitely make this move if he could but I think Deandre wants bigger money than what the Bills can offer. 

• Agree 1

Just now, beebe said:

chiefs beat writer jesse newell of the kc star doesn't believe the chiefs will sign hopkins, per a recent podcast. believes the chiefs did their due diligence earlier in the offseason and moved in a different direction. among the reasons:

1) the chiefs drafted a WR (rashee rice) early. this signaled the chiefs were moving on from hopkins

2) the chiefs believe in toney as a future star and think skyy moore will take another step forward.

3) the chiefs would have to borrow against their future, and veach typically hasn't wanted to do that. 

4) the chiefs don't want to stunt the growth of their younger WRs in favor of an expensive vet who is likely on the downside of career.

he also noted the chiefs wr's this year are likely better than last year. juju was out or injured for the majority of the year; toney missed time with lingering injuries; skyy moore didn't know the offense well and had a very limited role; mecole harman missed essentially the entire season. and yet, the chiefs offense was still essentially the #1 offense in the league and mahomes was the mvp. the chiefs believe moore takes a step forward and rice can contribute right away, with some potential diamonds in the rough on the roster (the two rosses).

I hope this is all true.  However, Toney only playing about 10 snaps a game after the trade it seems like that's a stretch.

Sky Moore I can see.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hope this is all true.  However, Toney only playing about 10 snaps a game after the trade it seems like that's a stretch.

Sky Moore I can see.

without the benefit of a full offseason leadup, it's always an extreme challenge for any midseason signing to perform immediately in reid's offense historically. moore picked up the offense very slowly per reports. him and toney were primarily used in specific packages, and were not featured.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, beebe said:

Number 4 was always my biggest thought regarding KC.

They make the most sense, imo...  However, even with their strong positive cap position next year, a big chunk of that will go to Chris Jones, and then immediately following that, Kelce comes due... and given Kelce's age, it's tricky to backload a long deal.  

They are in good position, but their cap could be a bit of fools gold given those two and any potential validity to Mahomes wanting to redo his contract. 

They just traded for Toney, a recent RD1 pick on a rookie deal.  They signed MVS who is a legit WR3.  Then they drafted WR's in back to back years RD2.   That's a good bit of draft investment in the position... and at some point, they're going to want to see what they have in Toney, Moore and Rice. 

We're in evaluation mode still with Davis, but more or less know what he is.  Shakir was RD5 and Shorter *RD5... not the same level of urgency to make sure they get snaps.  

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What was their response?  I got cut off and my app died

Sal said he does think it matters who you retain when thinking about next year. He said he asked Beane before the draft about a contract extension for Gabe Davis and Beane said, "After the draft, we'll evaluate what our room looks like going forward" so they do think about that for sure. Joe agreed and said he believes that the Bills operate as though it does play in, as well. Sal finished up with, "Thanks a lot Virgil, it's a great conversation. You have to think of the long-term, you have to think of the short-term and all that goes into it."

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Number 4 was always my biggest thought regarding KC.

They make the most sense, imo...  However, even with their strong positive cap position next year, a big chunk of that will go to Chris Jones, and then immediately following that, Kelce comes due... and given Kelce's age, it's tricky to backload a long deal.  

They are in good position, but their cap could be a bit of fools gold given those two and any potential validity to Mahomes wanting to redo his contract. 

They just traded for Toney, a recent RD1 pick on a rookie deal.  They signed MVS who is a legit WR3.  Then they drafted WR's in back to back years RD2.   That's a good bit of draft investment in the position... and at some point, they're going to want to see what they have in Toney, Moore and Rice. 

We're in evaluation mode still with Davis, but more or less know what he is.  Shakir was RD5 and Shorter RD6... not the same level of urgency to make sure they get snaps.  

Shorter was a 5th rounder as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Had it on but the app stopped working - care to summarize por favor?

Was it the Audacy app? That is the worst app out there. Absolutely horrible. Not sure how they can't work the kinks out of it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Was it the Audacy app? That is the worst app out there. Absolutely horrible. Not sure how they can't work the kinks out of it. 

The most glitchy app I've ever used.  

Just randomly stops working for no reason, won't reload, if it does it's somehow 30 minutes behind.  

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Look one post above yours. De nada.

Thank you.  I was able to rewind and listen to it.  It’s so strange to hear your voice on the radio.  

Full disclaimer, I use Virgil when I call because someone from here is always listening.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Thank you.  I was able to rewind and listen to it.  It’s so strange to hear your voice on the radio.  

Full disclaimer, I use Virgil when I call because someone from here is always listening.  

Wait, Virgil isn't your name? I don't believe that. Next thing you'll try and say is that isn't actually you in the profile picture. We aren't falling for your tricks, Virgil...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.