Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That is a cherry picked summary of what Schefter said.

Nothing new is really reported here. The Bills and seemingly every other team are unwilling to give Hopkins the contract he wants. It will be a long process to get the right deal that both sides are happy with.

I don't know what will happen, but it may not be a very long "while" he'll be on the market as he predicts. I mean it seems since OBJ got signed then it might be easier for Dhop probably. No telling though

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t follow hockey, but in the event I’ve got the Sabres on the Telly, who are the two superstars? Did Dahlin ever pan out or live up to the hype? Haven’t heard his name since he was drafted. 

F : Tage Thompson (47 g, 94 pts, 18:35 TOI)

D Rasmus Dahlin (15g, 73 pts, 25:48 TOI) 

Edited by Jon in Pasadena
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just looked up Hopkins career earnings which appear to be just north of $111 Million. I won’t judge anyone else by how they handle their money, but if it’s me I try to get close on money, but pick a good place to finish my career. A place I’d be happy. Now, I can just hope to be presented such a dilemma and see how I actually decide. 

A lot of people say if it's about the money, we're done.  But they don't seem to consider it's not black and white.  For instance if the Pats* put out an offer $1M more than the Bills, it probably isn't cut and dry - especially if the competing offer contains incentive clauses.  It's just how close does our offer have to be for him to take ours over the competition.

I think part of the hold up is, if true, that no one has offered up OBJ money.  I think DHop has a legitimate gripe, I think DHop is more valuable than OBJ.

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t follow hockey, but in the event I’ve got the Sabres on the Telly, who are the two superstars? Did Dahlin ever pan out or live up to the hype? Haven’t heard his name since he was drafted. 

Dahlin did develop into a Norris candidate level defenseman. Tage Thompson surprised everyone and became a legit 1C. They have a lot of great young forwards, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka just to name a few, with three top picks from last year and one from the year before (Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, and Rosen that all appear to be progressing well) along with Owen Power, Mattias Samuelsson and Dahlin that form the young core of a top 4D. Devon Levi is very young, but looks promising as a potential NHL goalie. They need blueline depth and a vet goalie to pair with Levi, but the team is set to be good for a decade if they play it right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

A lot of people say if it's about the money, we're done.  But they don't seem to consider it's not black and white.  For instance if the Pats* put out an offer $1M more than the Bills, it probably isn't cut and dry - especially if the competing offer contains incentive clauses.  It's just how close does our offer have to be for him to take ours over the competition.

I think part of the hold up is, if true, that no one has offered up OBJ money.  I think DHop has a legitimate gripe, I think DHop is more valuable than OBJ.

I think it's more along the lines of, if the contenders are offering say 8-10m and a lower tier team is offering 15m that's when "if it's about the money" might come into play.

If the difference is closer, I think he would be more motivated to win a championship than get paid more.

Edited by The Wiz

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree with you because OBJ’s most recent body of work is catching a Super Bowl-winning TD, which probably inflates his value higher than it should be. Hopkins has been and clearly is the better overall WR. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, teef said:

i know you think being contrarian makes you seem intelligent...i'd re-evaluate that.  

I'd re-evaluate what you think you "know".

I am not a contrarian, I am a realist. There are people who agree with me, and to them I would be a conformist. I am only a contrarian to you (and other homers) because I do not prescribe to what you think is true.. 

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

He's bounced between 3 teams in 3 seasons, signed by Miami last September because of all their injuries.

Likley a similar 1 year deal to Quess ($1.6m).  He's sitting there on May 29th for a reason.

Again, I like the signing.  But it's depth and if he has to play meaningful snaps, then that means Spencer played horrible.  

My point is let's not act like we just upgraded the RT position, best chance of that happening is Spencer playing his A game.

I agree brother 

I have Brown penciled in as our day 1 starter. Expect and at this point demand a big jump in play

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah, Dahlin has panned out, to say the least.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

yeah well where have I heard that before. (a lot over the last 12 years)

by the way, I'm not a big hockey guy but I did see two of their previous "superstars set up for long term success" are playing for the Cup. Albeit with other cities 

They had the youngest team in the NHL this season and missed the playoffs by 1 point. The future is so bright I gotta wear shades. 

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

We don’t have to sit in the whiners room with the folks who didn’t make it. That’s worth something.   😋

Yeah it's worth a lower draft pick.

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

OH! AND…….if you are IN the playoffs, your chances of winning a SB go WAY up! I checked the math, and that is true. 

You need the stars to align, but with a few good bounces along the way we have a team that CAN win it all. I like being in the running most years over taking huge swings and missing. I liked getting Von last year, but the ball bounced the wrong way. It happens. 

If teams had equal odds (or even close to equal odds) to win the Super Bowl, by simply making the playoffs, then you would see a large variety of teams winning the Super Bowl.

Instead, five teams have won 13 of the last 20 Super Bowl's. 

Because there is a formula to Super Bowl teams.

And just making the playoffs is not the formula. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Billl said:

Mahomes isn’t getting a new contract.  That’s all been made very clear.

Schefter today said that behind the scenes Mahomes wants a new contract.

If he wants one they'll have to give him one. When the best player in your franchise's history says jump you say how high.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

You have a telling proclivity to cherry pick certain points, and ignore others.

Example: Admitting to two big signings, and ignoring the numerous other moves that built a team coming off a 17 playoff drought, to a perennial playoff contender.

We were discussing "big" signings. Not average-to-good signings that turned a middling team into a playoff team. I have a proclivity to following the conversation, yes.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah it's worth a lower draft pick.

If teams had equal odds (or even close to equal odds) to win the Super Bowl, by simply making the playoffs, then you would see a large variety of teams winning the Super Bowl.

Instead, five teams have won 13 of the last 20 Super Bowl's. 

Because there is a formula to Super Bowl teams.

And just making the playoffs is not the formula. 

I promise, if you do NOT make the playoffs, you will NOT win the Super Bowl. I’ll give you your money back if I’m wrong. 

I do hope you are the best in your industry every day of the year, and your child is always valedictorian. 

I’d love a Super Bowl. I don’t NEED a Super Bowl. We have a good and full life, and I enjoy watching our Bills on most weekends during the season.  The deeper they run in the playoffs, the more I enjoy it. But even if you DO win it all, you get ready for a new season. It’s not just about the moment of winning. For me I can enjoy going thru the seasons without having to be an obsessive malcontent. I do this for FUN. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Schefter today said that behind the scenes Mahomes wants a new contract.

If he wants one they'll have to give him one. When the best player in your franchise's history says jump you say how high.

I've always wondered what would happen if a HOF QB (like Brady or Manning or Mahomes) pulled a power move, asking for something crazy like $100M per season and not playing until they get it.

What would the Chiefs do? You're fresh off of a Super Bowl and Mahomes is in his prime, and you let him sit? Waste a year (or more if he's stubborn) of his prime?

QB's seem to be the least likely players to use their power.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I've always wondered what would happen if a HOF QB (like Brady or Manning or Mahomes) pulled a power move, asking for something crazy like $100M per season and not playing until they get it.

What would the Chiefs do? You're fresh off of a Super Bowl and Mahomes is in his prime, and you let him sit? Waste a year (or more if he's stubborn) of his prime?

QB's seem to be the least likely players to use their power.

I would sit him, just like I would have done with Bruce after someone else got a raise to make more than him. Let them feel the pain. My list of faults is virtually endless, but I’d be stubborn over someone getting more than they should (which is obviously nebulous). 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I would sit him, just like I would have done with Bruce after someone else got a raise to make more than him. My list of faults is virtually endless, but I’d be stubborn over someone getting more than they should (which is obviously nebulous). 

I think I would too.

However, the flip side to that is... As a GM and Head Coach, you have to wonder how long you can let a HOF'er sit before the fans uproar so loud (via loss of ticket sales as well as verbally), that you yourself are on the hot seat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.