Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

18 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Adam S  "I think the public is a lot more interested in Hopkins than NFL Teams are"   

Predicts he will be on the market for a while.....

Sigh. Carry on then 

Yes I can definitely see that.

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What trophy do we get for making the playoffs?

You are a unique joy , also positive and upbeat, each day is a new ray of sunshine for you.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Don’t be bringing that stuff up, Von was the entire defense..,, in some folks minds…, 

I can almost laugh about it now, but what happened to our DB’s last year was just ridiculous

• Like (+1) 1

1. I am definitely in for Hopkins and think he makes us better.

2. I like Davis. I think he makes us better, regardless of Hopkins landing spot.

3. Many are overrating how good Hopkins is and was last year. Top 10 WR he is no longer. 

My questions:

What would Davis garner in a trade this offseason? During the season? What is his value if you are an interested GM?

3 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

2. I like Davis. I think he makes us better, regardless of Hopkins landing spot.

3. Many are overrating how good Hopkins is and was last year. Top 10 WR he is no longer. 

My questions:

What would Davis garner in a trade this offseason? During the season? What is his value if you are an interested GM?

Those are both # 2, #3, excellent comments and your question is key, how much would Davis get us in a trade.  If not much, the point of trading him is moot.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Cleveland showing interest, apparently. Not sure how Hopkins feels about DeSean Watson, but the dude can sling the ball. And Cleveland does have more cap space than us.

Aside from it being the Browns, I'd consider it if I were him.  Cleveland would be loaded on offense.  

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s time.

🤨

That is a cherry picked summary of what Schefter said.

Nothing new is really reported here. The Bills and seemingly every other team are unwilling to give Hopkins the contract he wants. It will be a long process to get the right deal that both sides are happy with.

5 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

My questions:

I agree with your top 2 points for sure. While some may be overrating Hopkins, I do think he is still a high quality receiver. He had 717 yards last year (which would make him an average #2), but that was in only 9 games, which paces out to 1354 yards which would have been 8th in the league. He may not be a top 10 receiver next year, but I’d expect him to be somwhere in the top 5-25, combine that with Diggs and a revamped Oline and we would give defenses fits. 

As for Gabe Davis, he is a UFA after this season, so we will not be able to trade him this offseason without extension. He is on a cheap contract for us right now, and even if we signed Hopkins and he were on the bench, it would be difficult to get depth of his caliber that cheap, and having Davis will help keep Diggs/Hopkins fresh. Also because Davis’ contract is expiring after this season, any team paying for him likely is trying to make a push and we would be helping a team that we may have to face come playoffs, and they would likely want to give futures. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We don’t have to sit in the whiners room with the folks who didn’t make it. That’s worth something.   😋

OH! AND…….if you are IN the playoffs, your chances of winning a SB go WAY up! I checked the math, and that is true. 

You need the stars to align, but with a few good bounces along the way we have a team that CAN win it all. I like being in the running most years over taking huge swings and missing. I liked getting Von last year, but the ball bounced the wrong way. It happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

i know you think being contrarian makes you seem intelligent...i'd re-evaluate that.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We don’t have to sit in the whiners room with the folks who didn’t make it. That’s worth something.   😋

OH! AND…….if you are IN the playoffs, your chances of winning a SB go WAY up! I checked the math, and that is true. 

You need the stars to align, but with a few good bounces along the way we have a team that CAN win it all. I like being in the running most years over taking huge swings and missing. I liked getting Von last year, but the ball bounced the wrong way. It happens. 

why bother?  a few on here have taken the view that since there's no super bowl trophies yet, everything is lost and the staff/team is terrible.  i'm going to choose to have fun this season, but to each their own.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s time.

🤨

This has always been the case. I've been called a pessimist and someone who "rationalizes" him signing elsewhere. Truth is, I want him to sign here and be on the Bills. But realistically, the means of doing so don't seem to add up with Beane's motus operandi and Hopkins is less about wanting to play on the Bills and more about money than fans want to admit to themselves.

I remember watching this from the Rich Eisen show earlier this week. It's mentioned that his main issue with Arizona was wanting a deal that paid him big money up front and that he wasn't willing to renegotiate his contract with other teams that involved back end language to facilitate a trade:

As I said in earlier posts, this magical Cover 1 offer that fans think would get the deal done with him is the same exact deal he wasn't interested in doing via trade. So why would he want to do it now?

Also, it's not the type of deal Beane traditionally does. He's hyper focused on the condition of the cap years ahead of time. He may put himself over in future years, but he does so around plans of restructures, extensions, and releases that can get us under the cap when the time comes. He seems to have done as much as he's comfortable with already. I can't see him adding more hits, especially that far into the future.

Fans got punchdrunk on listening him talk about Josh and the Bills and thought that means he was willing to make things easy on us to come here. But it appears his main motivation (as it is and honestly should be) is money first. 

As I've said from the beginning, the only way he's coming here is if wants to be here bad enough that he's willing to take less and have an incentive laden deal with back end language. I never saw that as realistic.

I personally don't look at his hiring an agent as a good thing, as @HappyDays alleges. I don't see that as his offers suck and so he's hired someone to navigate language. Agents are about 1 thing and 1 thing only, the bottom line. He's hired him to get him the most amount of money and create a market.

Ultimately, the Chiefs situation may make them less likely than us to get him. But there's 29 other teams in the league, not counting Arizona. And my guess is neither of us get him. He listed the Ravens, Chargers, and Eagles in the same breath as the Bills and the Chiefs. And all 3 teams have cap space in the double digit millions.

If this is about the most money he can get up front and not back loading his deal, we can't compete with other teams. Him liking us and Josh is nice. But it's not the bottom line. It's not over until it's over. But realistically, what Schefter is saying makes the most sense.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

An ESPN Radio  personality @EShunESPN claims Hopkins is close to an agreement with the Patriots.  The guy does have 13k followers and is a former Colts WR Coach

Hopefully that's a false report 

I wouldn't care much if they sign him, Mac is still their QB. Would be better than having him go to the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Depends how you look at it.  They are worse, right now (with about a 500k left in cap space).  However, they will be at 52m above the cap next year and we will be -14m.

Now keep in mind, Mohames is going to get a new contract based on all the off-season talk and Chris Jones is going to get another 20m+ deal that is going to probably eat 80% of that money.

Mahomes isn’t getting a new contract.  That’s all been made very clear.

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Hopkins has great hands. I thought OBD wanted guys who can catch?

In a vacuum, I'm sure they want him. And if money wasn't a thing, I'm sure he'd prefer to be here.

But getting the most money (as it is with any player or employee anywhere) is the most important thing. And when it comes to 31 options, he and his agent are going to choose the best team fit offering the most amount of money.

It's not as simple as just "we either want him and he's ours or we don't and he's not" like fans of this board like to make it out as. We have to make it work in a fiscally financial manner and he also has to choose us over 30 other options.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Mahomes isn’t getting a new contract.  That’s all been made very clear.

It’s more of a “living document” that is intended to be played with, I think. 

I just looked up Hopkins career earnings which appear to be just north of $111 Million. I won’t judge anyone else by how they handle their money, but if it’s me I try to get close on money, but pick a good place to finish my career. A place I’d be happy. Now, I can just hope to be presented such a dilemma and see how I actually decide. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/deandre-hopkins-12307/cash-earnings/

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not as simple as just "we either want him and he's ours or we don't and he's not" like fans of this board like to make it out as. We have to make it work in a fiscally financial manner and he also has to choose us over 30 other options.

Well if it's fiscally financial I think we're probably done out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

My questions:

Given we already have a comp 3rd in this next draft, and Gabe likely brings back another comp 3rd in the following draft, I’d say (should we sign Hop to a multi-year deal) that I would start listening at a 2nd Round Pick.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Hopkins has great hands. I thought OBD wanted guys who can catch?

True. But he’s beginning to slow and has never been a precise route runner. That combo forecasts a steep decline into his 30s. Also not a locker room guy and wants the payday. The negatives tip the scales.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Sabres have two bonafide (one fringe) superstars on the roster and what looks to be at-least 3 more future superstars.  The future is very bright for the Sabres.  

I don’t follow hockey, but in the event I’ve got the Sabres on the Telly, who are the two superstars? Did Dahlin ever pan out or live up to the hype? Haven’t heard his name since he was drafted. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.