Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

the discussion was on WGR & the Buffalo News. Do you listen to WGR? All they do is praise the Bills, then they bring a special guest on, usually just another WGR employee and he praises the Bills. Call with some criticism and you get hung up on

The Buffalo News is going through journalists like my wife does shoes. Ask yourself why is that

62bf8e1ab3eb2.image.jpg?resize=386,500

5 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

the discussion was on WGR & the Buffalo News. Do you listen to WGR? All they do is praise the Bills, then they bring a special guest on, usually just another WGR employee and he praises the Bills. Call with some criticism and you get hung up on

The Buffalo News is going through journalists like my wife does shoes. Ask yourself why is that

The local media praises a team that went 37-12 the last 3 years!  What a bunch of hacks! I guess they just don't know how to "keep it real".  It must be so frustrating dealing with optimistic fans and media while the Bills only have the second most wins in the NFL over that time frame.  You are very brave to fight against the rose colored propaganda! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

WGR is the flagship station of the Buffalo Bills. If you go to any NFL city and you have a station that is the flag station of the team, they act in exactly the same way.

So, once again, I ask, could you please give a specific gripe other than media is nice to the team

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Breer's SI article didn't leave me feeling enthused.  If this has been posted before, apologies...  Here's what Breer's heard from NFL execs:

I asked one veteran team executive what’s still there, and he answered, via text, “Not much. He can’t run anymore.” Another answer was pretty different—“He’s still a good player. Good route runner, big, physical target that can play a ball in the air. He’s still a threat.” And a third played both sides of it.

“Still great hands, he is not going to separate, not much of a deep threat, but very strong, and makes contested catches as well as anyone in the NFL,” the AFC exec said. “Does not love to practice—I can’t imagine that’ll get any better. And when things don’t go well, you’re always gonna be leery, All right, what kind of drama are we gonna get from this guy? When things are great, he’s great. When things go south, his true colors show a little bit.

“But he always shows up on game day. He’s gonna have to go to a team that knows what they’re getting. You cannot expect a perfect-attendance type of worker.”

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/inside-deandre-hopkins-s-release-why-he-had-no-value-to-teams/ar-AA1bT9cK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3a7b4480e80e426a827b9155715181a8&ei=32

More info from that article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/30/inside-deandre-hopkins-release-options-bills-chiefs

The Cardinals were giving any teams who wanted to talk to Hopkins permission to do so. Two teams that got such permission, the Chiefs and Bills, spoke to Hopkins and Omni, and those two were the only two that engaged Arizona in trade talks. So the interest in giving up a pick or two to get Hopkins was pretty tepid.

Kansas City made progress toward a deal, but things went a little sideways when Odell Beckham Jr. got $15 million in base pay from Baltimore, making Hopkins feel like he should land at least that much, given that Beckham didn’t play last year. The Chiefs wound up giving free-agent left tackle Donovan Smith a deal structured similarly to the offer they made Hopkins, which will make it more difficult for Kansas City to circle back.

The Bills, similarly, were willing to do a pay-for-play sort of deal loaded with incentives. My feeling is that it leaves them in the same place the Chiefs are with Hopkins—the only way it happens is if his price comes down.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah I take him hiring an agent as a good sign. It's a sign that he isn't getting the offers he expected so he wants an agent to figure out the best offer he can get. If the Chiefs spent their Hopkins money on Donovan Smith that makes us the front runner.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

"The Bills, similarly, were willing to do a pay-for-play sort of deal loaded with incentives. My feeling is that it leaves them in the same place the Chiefs are with Hopkins—the only way it happens is if his price comes down."

Well, we originally offered Poona Ford a lesser deal, then came back to him and upped the offer enough to get him. He still got less from us than what other teams had offered.

Could we see that type of thing happen here? 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

53 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Breer's SI article didn't leave me feeling enthused.  If this has been posted before, apologies...  Here's what Breer's heard from NFL execs:

I asked one veteran team executive what’s still there, and he answered, via text, “Not much. He can’t run anymore.” Another answer was pretty different—“He’s still a good player. Good route runner, big, physical target that can play a ball in the air. He’s still a threat.” And a third played both sides of it.

“Still great hands, he is not going to separate, not much of a deep threat, but very strong, and makes contested catches as well as anyone in the NFL,” the AFC exec said. “Does not love to practice—I can’t imagine that’ll get any better. And when things don’t go well, you’re always gonna be leery, All right, what kind of drama are we gonna get from this guy? When things are great, he’s great. When things go south, his true colors show a little bit.

“But he always shows up on game day. He’s gonna have to go to a team that knows what they’re getting. You cannot expect a perfect-attendance type of worker.”

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/inside-deandre-hopkins-s-release-why-he-had-no-value-to-teams/ar-AA1bT9cK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3a7b4480e80e426a827b9155715181a8&ei=32

If you could get the bolded from Gabe you’d be ecstatic.

Even if Hopkins isn’t the player he used to be his presence makes everyone else in the WR corps better; he provides someone other than Diggs, which helps Diggs, and he knocks everyone else down a spot making them more effective. 

58 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Uhhh dude you realize hopkins got dumped by Bill Obrien for peanuts you really think he's gonna go play for him again? 

I mean I just have a hard time believing it. And the patriots would honestly be one of the least threatening places for him to land.

Lol, I'm with ya here.....that's exactly what immediately popped in my mind when I saw that also.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

He does well once he gets going. He's not that good with short and intermediate routes -- but he also has drops when he is wide open.

I hope he has attended the offseason Dawson Knox Advanced School of Catching. That, and maybe watching Kincaid catch everything thrown in his direction will help. 

As I’ve said on numerous occasions I expect Gabe Davis to have a solid year, even if he gets fewer reps if we were to sign DHop.  I can live with losing him because he does so well we can no longer afford him. That likely means he had a good year personally which could mean all kinds of great things for the team! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

WGR is the flagship station of the Buffalo Bills. If you go to any NFL city and you have a station that is the flag station of the team, they act in exactly the same way.

So, once again, I ask, could you please give a specific gripe other than media is nice to the team

go listen to the boston station. or go listen to the browns station (atl east 5-10 years ago). those stations rip them apart and are honest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

An ESPN Radio  personality @EShunESPN claims Hopkins is close to an agreement with the Patriots.  The guy does have 13k followers and is a former Colts WR Coach

Hopefully that's a false report 

LOL, imo, that is not the worst outcome of this.  DeAndre will be horribly wasted with pop gun arm Mac Jones.  Furthermore Mack Jones is a bit of a hot head, not a good mix with a prima donna WR and all eyes will be on the two.  Hopefully they wildly overpay for him.

49 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Sullivan was okay, I didn't love his work but it was nice to have a counter perspective once in awhile

when Hopkins signs with KC or a division rival, the latest mouthpieces in Buffalo media will praise the Bills for not going out of their way to sign such a player.

And if he signs with Buffalo (unlikely)? they will praise the Bills for taking a chance on such a player

So no matter what happens, you have your narrative totally covered up.  If they do sign him or if they dont. Yep you seem like a very open minded individual.

And Sullivan was ok was he,  ofcourse he was to you, a good match....a total redundant negative personality.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

the Sabres are not “outstanding.” In fact they have the longest playoff drought in American sports. On planet earth that is not usually seen as outstanding 

The sabres have turned the corner now your just being a drama queen. The sabres are setup for long term success...  and have 2 superstars on that team, with the potential of more....   let me guess you wanted them to trade prospects just so that you could feel better this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.