Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If KC gets him the seasons a wrap is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. DHOP is a damn good receiver but he’s also in his 30s and coming off an injury. 

Yes 

why does everyone look at games played and think the dude coming off injury?

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If KC gets him the seasons a wrap is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. DHOP is a damn good receiver but he’s also in his 30s and coming off an injury. 

Yes 

Do you mind sharing what injury he's coming off of? And when exactly did he get injured. I'd like to let him know he's hurt cause I'm sure he's also not aware of this injury, with the rest of us

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

People seem to be overthinking the "perennial contender" concept.  With a 14 team playoffs, the Bills are perenial contenders as long as Josh Allen is the QB, and he is healthy.  You put him on any of about 24 rosters in the league and about the same number of coaches, and it would be shocking if his team didn't make the playoffs. 

Similarly, you put a Derek Carr clone on the Bills with this exact same roster, and the exact same coaching staff, and no one would expect them to make the playoffs this year (Frankly, many would see them as battling to stay out of the AFC east basement with the patriots).    Josh Allen having Dan Marino's career results would be horribly disappointing.  Beane needs to figure out how to get Allen to the Super Bowl.  

Allen needs to figure out how to get to a Super Bowl. Beane can only give him some ingredients, it’s up to Josh to cook. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

DeAndre Hopkins has suffered at least fifteen recorded injuries in his nine-year NFL career, that might be it.

He averages 1 missed game per year. 

Diggs averages more missed games per season (across his career) as Hopkins.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He’s been very healthy as a Bill.

Nonetheless, he's disappeared in quite a few playoff games. Adding Hopkins might help alter that because the defense won't be able to concentrate solely on Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Nonetheless, he's disappeared in quite a few playoff games. Adding Hopkins might help alter that because the defense won't be able to concentrate solely on Diggs.

To be clear I am definitely not against getting DeAndre Hopkins if we can make it work

It will probably mean no veteran edge defender from the pool that are still out there but I was all about making this office. The best that it can be over improving Defense anyway.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Chiefs were the anti-Bills last season.

Bills started strong and then faltered.

Chiefs started weak and then got stronger.

phew-relieved.gif

I wouldn't say the Chiefs got stronger. As I said, they struggled against the Chargers, Denver 2x, Houston OT in their last 8 games. The other 4 opponents were the Rams, Bengals (Lost), Seattle, and run for the buses Raiders). They nearly lost more of those games than they dominated in the 2nd half of the season.

Playoffs I'll give you. A gimpy Mahomes got it done against a chippy Jaguars team, and Bengals, and Eagles.

The question is, would they have been as effective if Kelce or Jones were out from game 9 and through the playoffs? I don't think so.

Edited by What a Tuel

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

To be clear I am definitely not against getting DeAndre Hopkins if we can make it work

It will probably mean no veteran edge defender from the pool that are still out there but I was all about making this office. The best that it can be over improving Defense anyway.

I believe Kincaid is going to be very good. If this was his second year, I think one could anticipate he might emerge as a second threat the opposing D has to account for. But that's a lot to ask from a rookie, so Hopkins, while a risk, more than likely fulfills that role. On paper, it would be a very potent offensive roster that should open up the entire field and create uncertainty on the other side of the ball. Even without Hopkins, if Dorsey takes advantage of all the weapons, it should be a much more versatile offense. Hopkins just adds that degree of stress associated with a special talent with a habit of clutch plays. I am guessing veteran edge is plan B if Hopkins goes elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Don’t get me wrong, I really hope we can sign him.  But I think the thought that going all in will net you a Super Bowl is bs.   It can…. But what happens when someone gets hurt?  Or multiple people get hurt?  Or the opposing coaches in the playoffs devise the perfect game plans to beat you? 

talent is a big part of winning a Lombardi, but other aspects of the game can overrule talent. Injuries and coaching being the biggest aspects. 

those that are ok going all in for ONE season better be ready to put a gun to their head if some of those acquisitions get hurt.  See Von and Daquan.  Plus Hyde and Poyer and Tre and Damar.  It’s extremely risky due to so many things possibly going wrong

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I wouldn't hate the way the Rams did it either. 

As a Bills fan, I'm not against the "all in" mentality.  One might say with validity the Von Miller move applies as such. Dhop would probably be seen as such a move. 

Obviously, big moves don't always equate to the coveted prize. Often, the bigger moves are short term boost while sacrificing the long term philosophy.  I suppose that's why the the term all in" applies. 

I don't mind the Bills swinging for the fences. 

5 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Sign him.  Whatever it takes.  Having a perpetual contender is great, but when you're this close to being able to win a Super Bowl, and have the chance to sign DHop, you swing for the fences.

I have often supported Beane's stated goal to field a perennial contender as a valid counterargument against going "all-in" or mortgaging the future now that we have this fairly expensive franchise centerpiece in place longterm. 

I no longer have any patience for that nonsense. (And I think on some levels, Beane has used that more conservative, "sustainability" refrain only when the really aggressive personnel acquisitions don't come to fruition. After all, he IS the GM who signed a 32/33 year-old HoF pass-rushing/edge legend (a "ledgend"™️) to a 6-year deal despite bad/at-risk knees (as determined by medical imaging team). That's not a draft-and-develop, re-sign-your-own, Pitt or GB type of move. And I'm here for it.)

Win ONE championship. Just win ONE effing championship. THEN we can worry about the future. (I would be fine with just one, to be honest. The catharsis of that alone would be powerful and lasting.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I have often supported Beane's stated goal to field a perennial contender as a valid counterargument against going "all-in" or mortgaging the future now that we have this fairly expensive franchise centerpiece in place longterm. 

I no longer have any patience for that nonsense. (And I think on some levels, Beane has used that more conservative, "sustainability" refrain only when the really aggressive personnel acquisitions don't come to fruition. After all, he IS the GM who signed a 32/33 year-old HoF pass-rushing/edge legend (a "ledgend"™️) to a 6-year deal despite bad/at-risk knees (as determined by medical imaging team). That's not a draft-and-develop, re-sign-your-own, Pitt or GB type of move. And I'm here for it.)

Win ONE championship. Just win ONE effing championship. THEN we can worry about the future. (I would be fine with just one, to be honest. The catharsis of that alone would be powerful and lasting.)

You have to wonder if Beane's regretting signing Von now making it more unlikely he'll take a similar swing on a soon to be 31 year old WR.  It has to be going through his mind and rightfully so.  If Hopkins wants more than he's comfortable offering he shouldn't make the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I hear ya.  I just don’t think it’s gonna happen that way.  As in, going all in with a 1 year window.  

I think Beane has 2-3 years max if he doesn’t win a SB in that time.  Same for McD.  I see them as a package deal.  The pressure is on, but I’m worried that last year really scared them.  Huge investments with nothing to show for it.  They assembled the best roster the world agreed. Then they broke.  There’s a chance it happens again. 

I really hope we buck up for hopkins, I just think the Jets (or another team not named KC) are going to see this as their chance and bust their nut on him.  Some 30M guaranteed over 2 years, 17M per season type deal.  I think that’s too steep for Beane

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

I wouldn't say the Chiefs got stronger. As I said, they struggled against the Chargers, Denver 2x, Houston OT in their last 8 games. The other 4 opponents were the Rams, Bengals (Lost), Seattle, and run for the buses Raiders). They nearly lost more of those games than they dominated in the 2nd half of the season.

Playoffs I'll give you. A gimpy Mahomes got it done against a chippy Jaguars team, and Bengals, and Eagles.

The question is, would they have been as effective if Kelce or Jones were out from game 9 and through the playoffs? I don't think so.

Good question.  Without Jones, no chance and they letting their best pass rusher frank Clark leave 

Buf is sooooo close. 

That Bengals game was an outlier

We played 17 other games , tough opponents and lost 3 games by a combined 8 points 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.