Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

On 5/28/2023 at 12:05 PM, pennstate10 said:

Serious question. How is it clear that Brady was taking HGH?

I know that there can be physical signs of anabolic steroid use, but what is the evidence Brady was using hgh?

Hgh isn't what most ppl think of it as. It's not changing muscle growth considerably or any of that. I'd argue it's biggest mainstream is in Hollywood. Will help get you past normal person lean into Hollywood lean.

Hair skin and nails. Brady has been looking younger all the time. Sure avocados lol. But the #1 reason in sports is just repair/recovery lengthening of the career. Helps joint/muscle injuries, gives elasticity back in tendons which is huge for longevity. Someone like Brady likely wouldn't benefit much from hoping on the sauce, but growth certainly seems like something that could help extend a career... which I think is a good thing, and would bet the NFL does too.

Here's a question.... how many players have ever been suspended for growth?

The answer is literally zero lol

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We are accustomed to WR's fetching big hauls in trade now but at the time they ended up over-paying by the standards of the time to get Diggs because of that desperate need..........meanwhile Arizona got the at-the-time MUCH better Hopkins from Houston for a second round pick.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this leaves out context. 

We didn’t have the ability to acquire Hopkins for a 2nd rounder. Bill O’Brien wouldn’t trade him in the AFC and was notorious for making head scratching moves during his time as the main decision maker.

It was agreed on as a clear loss by the Texans at the time and there’s no doubt  the league saw it that way as well. Nobody was using Bill O’Briens’ haphazard decision making as a blueprint. 

Earlier this week, NFL executives slammed O'Brien and Texans for the move in a scathing piece in The Athletic.

“It is amazing in the NFL that some trades are so lopsided still,” an executive said, according to The Athletic's Mike Sando. “The Hopkins thing was a joke. How the David Johnson contract was included in the deal just astounds me.”

18 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well we got several good years out of Diggs already and he is under contract so while I hope he doesn’t decline, I have to acknowledge the possibility.  Why double your risk especially when Diggs health and non-cheating record is already better than Hopkins?

I am all about the RIGHT NOW.

I do not care about 3 years from now, or 5 years from now, or 10 years from now.

I don't want to waste Allen's career like the Dolphins wasted Marinos.

We need to strike while the iron is hot. All hands on deck right NOW. Allen's career could (in theory) go the way of Cam Newtons and he be out of the league in 5 years. I hope not, of course, but its possible, so we need to go all in NOW.

I said it before, but i'd trade a decade of 12-6 for just ONE Super Bowl. That one trophy is worth far more than year after year after year of "good but not good enough".

Plus, if KC gets Hopkins, it's a wrap for the AFC.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well we got several good years out of Diggs already and he is under contract so while I hope he doesn’t decline, I have to acknowledge the possibility.  Why double your risk especially when Diggs health and non-cheating record is already better than Hopkins?

Wouldn't signing Hopkins be spreading out that risk? I think doubling the risk is continuing to rely almost exclusively on Diggs

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Not disagreeing that Dhop helps us immediately over Gabe, but weren't you the poster trying to make a point that a stud QB can carry an offense? 

IIRC, using Mahomes and this past KC team as an example.  KC with a stud #1 option to go with a generational QB/coach, and an OL to give him plenty of time to throw.  

I admit that I may have you confused with someone else, if so my apologies.  

But I thought that poster had a solid point.  Either way, hopefully our IOL moves pan out quickly. McGovern is a rising player, and the addition of Kincaid.  Dorsey has the pressure on his shoulders to make this work.

No I've always been a guy who wants weapons around their QB.  

My philosophy is that job #1 of any organization is to make their QB position look great.

The poster you are talking about seems to have the long time Green Bay mentality of never needing to draft offensive weapons early because a franchise QB can elevate those around him.   That is just bad strategy IMO.

People mistakenly think the Chiefs didn't have much invested at receiving targets last season but they have always had multiple big $ targets or several guys with early round pedigree since Mahomes has entered the league.  

Talented weapons make a big difference, especially in the playoffs when every defense is playing like there is no tomorrow.   Time and again that undermined Aaron Rodgers.  

The Bills seemed to be using the Green Bay model.......hopefully the Kincaid pick is a sign that they've learned that defense is the more inconsistent side of the ball regardless of how much you invest........so throwing all your big assets at that side of the ball is not good strategy.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but this leaves out context. 

We didn’t have the ability to acquire Hopkins for a 2nd rounder. Bill O’Brien wouldn’t trade him in the AFC and was notorious for making head scratching moves during his time as the main decision maker.

It was agreed on as a clear loss by the Texans at the time and there’s no doubt  the league saw it that way as well. Nobody was using Bill O’Briens’ haphazard decision making as a blueprint. 

Earlier this week, NFL executives slammed O'Brien and Texans for the move in a scathing piece in The Athletic.

“It is amazing in the NFL that some trades are so lopsided still,” an executive said, according to The Athletic's Mike Sando. “The Hopkins thing was a joke. How the David Johnson contract was included in the deal just astounds me.”

Right........Houston wasn't going to trade Hopkins to Buffalo and he was a steal for Arizona.  

First team All Pro with a HOF trajectory.   Diggs wasn't even in the same discussion as one of the top WR's in football at the time.   He was WR2 in Minnesota.   

Diggs brought a lot more in return.   A lot.

That's all the context needed really.    Beane was over a barrel.   Minnesota was OK with not trading Diggs so Beane had to go big to get it done.  

Said to my buddy at work the other day when he got released that all the talk about Buffalo, KC and NO being landing spots… Cleveland is the most probable IMO. He loved playing with Watson, they need the talent at the position and can provide him with better financial compensation than Bills and Chiefs. They also aren’t that badly built a team and have the possibility to make some ground in the division prodviding Deshaun was just rusty the remainder of last year…

Edited by BBFL

2 hours ago, julian said:

I think the argument is they needed a #1 right away and Diggs was just that, Jefferson or any of the other WRs were more of hope they’d be a #1 at some point.

It was the right move at the time got the Bills.

As for the Justin Jefferson issue, the way I remember it is that almost the entire Bills FO, including BBB, went to Clemson for Tee Higgins pro-day.   It was just a few days, or so (iirc), later that BBB pulled the trigger on Diggs.  

So, I think they were looking at Higgins at that point.  Conjecture, but plotting the dots.  

Edited by CNYfan
grammar
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Terry Glenn was NEVER that guy. Parcells thought a lot about Keyshawn Johnson!! Took him everywhere he went (Jets, Cowboys). 

Keyshawn was never great. He believed he was in his mind but he wasn't. When the Bills played the Jets I never thought about him 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Terry Glenn and Keyshawn both declined rapidly when they hit their decline.

Keyshawn did but Glenn didn't.

Glenn had a great 05 after missing most of the 04 season with an injury.  He was good in 06 also before never playing again.

4 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I don’t like that people are calling Hopkins old when he’s 2 years younger than I am 

Your a youngster, 😁, I’m so damn old that no one had computers in there homes when I grew up…😂

• Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

As for the Justin Jefferson issue, the way I remember it is that almost the entire Bills FO, including BBB, went to Clemson for Tee Higgins pro-day.   It was just a few days, or so (iirc), later that BBB pulled the trigger on Diggs.  

So, I think they were looking at Higgins at that point.  Conjecture, but plotting the dots.  

Yeah I’m sure they were prepared if the trade option for a #1 wasn’t available 

On 5/28/2023 at 1:51 PM, BananaB said:

So last year we entered the season handing Gabe the #2 because of a few good games and he was a disappointment. So this year we bring in another guy who had a few good games to compete with him, that will be the answer?  Last year if we traded for Harty instead of signing McKenzie this board would have went berserk.  TE also ain’t a position you see big impacts out of rookies either.  Right now we have some  new faces, more guys and more question marks on how and who will produce in this lineup.  We are set🙄, yeah I heard that before.

Thanks Debbie.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  I mean, I like the idea of Hopkins, but the truth is that if Dorsey does his job and Allen does his job, the Bills already have enough fire power. 

Exactly. The new guys (Harty, Sherfield and even Kincaid) along with Harris and second year Cook will add competition amongst this team, required depth and a lot of talent. Beane made it loud and clear in the draft when he took Kincaid that this is our new "WR"/hands. I like it!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.