Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Gabe’s catch % was in the 50s. That’s awful. 

No need to sugar coat his play. Gabe was Mr inconsistent last season, like the season before…. And the season before that. 

James Cook?

I got news for you, if Cook becomes a “star” back the Bills aren’t resigning him no matter how much cap space they have….there is literally no point in wasting cap on that kind of back with this offense…. My guess is he’ll be very easily replaced by a lower wage FA signing or mid round pick when the time comes. 

Kincaid is on his rookie contract for at least the next four… and Elam the next three with the option.

Come on, are we really worried about cap three years down the line? 

Yes. The deal being floated around is for 2-3 seasons with up to 3 dead cap years tacked on to the end until 2028.

Do the math.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes. The deal being floated around is for 2-3 seasons with up to 3 dead cap years tacked on to the end until 2028.

Do the math.

Monopoly money. There’s your math.

The Cap is a guideline that can be worked around, especially by franchises with generous owners. It’s not a major concern. The Cap will also continue to increase

Beane!! It’s time to give DHop some FUN COUPONS! Lets Go!!!

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, arcadia bob said:

Update....See previous post.... Bills made DH a offer on a 2-year deal. Told it was a very good offer with great bonuses etc. but DH wants a few things in the contract that BB doesn't want to include. I asked if he was still in play for KC and he said he doesn't know. Just passing on what I've been told ,,,,,,

Are we still trading for Sean Payton too?

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Also America in 1823, 1923, 1953, 1973 and all the other years leading up to 2023.  This is how life works. 

Not for me. My family being comfortable is the most important thing in my life.  I turn down more lucrative jobs on the reg.  Probably 2-3 jobs a year on average.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And adding 2-3 dead cap years where he isn't on the team. Which is what he's talking about. 

Players like Dalton Kincaid, James Cook, Kaiir Elam, etc could become superstars in the league that we have to pay a premium for and the belt will be tightened by a deal we made this season for a player who will probably no longer be on the team.

Pegula should fire Beane on the spot if he ever gave a RB a lucrative second contract.  It's the one position where you just draft them on day two or three, let them play out their rookie deal, and then pray you get a comp pick for them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fans don't actually believe gabe Davis is a number 2 receiver do they? Could he eventually develop into one, of course

But number 2 receiver needs to be improved if the bills want to be a super bowl winner 

At this point it's hoping Davis improves a good amount to become a 2, so if a receiver is available that can be the bills number 2 you need to be interested 

16 minutes ago, arcadia bob said:

Never said we were trading for SP go back to sleep.

Should and would  are different.  I’ll grant that.  Still, both notions were and are ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Fans don't actually believe gabe Davis is a number 2 receiver do they? Could he eventually develop into one, of course

But number 2 receiver needs to be improved if the bills want to be a super bowl winner 

At this point it's hoping Davis improves a good amount to become a 2, so if a receiver is available that can be the bills number 2 you need to be interested 

We don’t have the 53 best players in the NFL therefore Beane is a failure.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Monopoly money. There’s your math.

The Cap is a guideline that can be worked around, especially by franchises with generous owners. It’s not a major concern. The Cap will also continue to increase

The cap is real. You can't just spend whatever, whenever. It isn't "just a guideline". When you have a team of stars, spending and pushing the can down the road time and again comes at a cost. 

And yes, as many like to point out, the cap is going to increase. But you know what else increases when the cap does? The price of contracts. Teams spend more to compete with other teams for players when they have more.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The cap is real. You can't just spend whatever, whenever. It isn't "just a guideline". When you have a team of stars, spending and pushing the can down the road time and again comes at a cost. 

And yes, as many like to point out, the cap is going to increase. But you know what else increases when the cap does? The price of contracts. Teams spend more to compete with other teams for players when they have more.

Killjoy.  Why ruin the 400 page dreamworld where Hopkins isn’t AJ Green part 2 and there is no cap?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Still, we are in a position where we can pull some levers and make this happen

I would like to see a Super Bowl win before I die

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Should and would  are different.  I’ll grant that.  Still, both notions were and are ridiculous.

We don’t have the 53 best players in the NFL therefore Beane is a failure.

Not really sure where I mentioned beane and needing the top 53 in the NFL but

Beane obviously agrees with my statement in upgrading the receiving options as he tried to sign obj, trade for Hopkins and drafted Kincaid in round one 

18 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Killjoy.  Why ruin the 400 page dreamworld where Hopkins isn’t AJ Green part 2 and there is no cap?

I think Hopkins is still an Elite WR. And I would like us to get him.

But these ideas that there is absolutely no pitfall to the type of contract it would take to get him and that if Hopkins himself chooses to sign elsewhere that it's Brandon Beane's fault and he needs to pay are ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think Hopkins is still an Elite WR. And I would like us to get him.

But these ideas that there is absolutely no pitfall to the type of contract it would take to get him and that if Hopkins himself chooses to sign elsewhere that it's Brandon Beane's fault and he needs to pay are ridiculous.

What do YOU actually envision the long term cap consequences being if they sign Hopkins?    

As a professional numbers person myself..........I'm quite certain the the consequence may be just one very silent offseason where they lose a good young player in UFA and have to cut some veteran defenders they'd prefer not to..........followed by a year with a bottom third of the league defense and the Bills offense having to win a lot of shootouts.........and then the following offseason being back in the market for free agents and balancing the roster again.

There isn't going to be any big roster teardown that isn't going to have to come ANYWAY.    In the next few years Von, Diggs, Hyde, Poyer, White, Dawkins, Morse, Milano and Taron are all going to age out most likely.     They started this ball rolling when they traded the chance at a 21-22 year old rookie WR to get Stefon Diggs.  It accelerated their development but sure.......that comes at a cost.   You aren't going to get 10 years out of a 26-27 year old acquisition.  

If they draft smartly and do what it takes to make Josh Allen look like a $50M QB year-in-and-out.........which is easier to pull off when he has a Lombardi trophy to his name...........then they will have access to very good replacement personnel at team friendly prices.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

Per a buddy of mine that knows the KC director of player personnel Tim Terry, Hopkins to KC. No idea on any details or if it’s actually a done deal but I know that he knows Terry and he’s never given me a scoop or anything so take it for what it’s worth. 

My girlfriend's cousin's neighbor's aunt works for the Atlanta Falcons, and per her, the Falcons are not signing D-Hop................so take it for what it's worth..............

(Seriously, I hope you are wrong!)

1 hour ago, arcadia bob said:

Update....See previous post.... Bills made DH a offer on a 2-year deal. Told it was a very good offer with great bonuses etc. but DH wants a few things in the contract that BB doesn't want to include. I asked if he was still in play for KC and he said he doesn't know. Just passing on what I've been told ,,,,,,

what does DH want that BB does not?

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They started this ball rolling when they traded the chance at a 21-22 year old rookie WR to get Stefon Diggs.  

Great point.

We have now traded both the Mahomes pick, and the Jefferson pick.

We traded the picks that became the best QB in the league, and the best WR in the league.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

here we go again with the CAP!! 

Teams who have Owners that are willing to throw Cash $ around get to play by a slightly different set of rules.

How would anyone be against this?

I actually like Gabe and think the injury really affected him last year and think he's due for a bounce back year...

BUT...

3 years with Diggs & DHop along with Gabe's final "prove it" year plus Knox, Kincaid, & Cook for multiple years

vs

Praying for Gabe to finally be the #2 we all hoped for along with giving us a hometown discount 

choice seems obvious...

Especially when you consider all the draft picks we still have next year. Who's to say we also don't just trade up for Marvin Harrison Jr. as Diggs and Nuke settle into their 30s?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.