Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For me adding Hopkins isn't about adding production. It's about adding someone that can make critical plays in critical moments. Allen and Diggs were the only two that consistently did that last year. A championship offense needs more than just two guys with that ability.

Every Bills loss last year you could point to at least one drop that arguably lost us the game:

Dolphins loss:

-Davis drop in the endzone, taking 4 points off the board in a game we lost by 2

Jets loss:

-Davis drop on 3rd down, forcing us to punt

-Davis drop on 4th and forever in the final seconds, ending the game

Vikings loss:

-Diggs drop on 3rd down, forcing a punt on a critical drive

-Knox drop in the endzone in OT right before Allen's game-ending interception

(I'll also throw in as an honorable mention that Davis 100% dropped the ball on 3rd down on our game-tying drive at the end of regulation, the officials just missed it)

Bengals loss:

-Davis drop on a vertical route on 3rd down which effectively ended the game

There were of course other plays and other failures that led to each of these losses, but we now have the ability to fix this one glaring issue just by adding Hopkins (and for that matter Kincaid) to the picture. According to ESPN, Hopkins has just three drops on 315 targets over the past three seasons - this 1% drop rate is the best in the NFL over that time span.

Nobody will care about the additional 15 yards per game or so that Hopkins may add to the offense, but we will care about that one extra critical catch in a critical game that ultimately leads to us getting the #1 seed. Like you point out we already have the production. We're missing the moments.

That's excellent.   I didn't need the list of drops, because the fundamental point is obvious.  The Bills don't have a lot of guys to catch a Hail Murray.  Diggs maybe.   Davis occasionally.   DHop is definitely one of those guys.  

So, that makes the question a little bit different.   I agree, I guess, that adding him would be about adding a playmaker just so that you have him when you need him to make a play, at the end of the season and in the playoffs.   It's similar to, but not exactly the same as, signing Miller last year.  Regular season production is nice, but the Bills were clear that they brought him to make crucial fourth quarter plays, particularly in January.   He's nice to have on the field at other times, and he contributes, but that's not what he's here for.  

Miller's different because everything indicated that he had more miles left, that he could be that guy for three years or more.   So, he filled both a longer-term need and a win-now need.  Clearly, I don't know, but Hopkins feels more like a one-and-done guy, which is not McBeane's style.   If he projects as a three-year contributor, and if the chemistry works, then he would be a more important acquisition.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's excellent.   I didn't need the list of drops, because the fundamental point is obvious.  The Bills don't have a lot of guys to catch a Hail Murray.  Diggs maybe.   Davis occasionally.   DHop is definitely one of those guys.  

So, that makes the question a little bit different.   I agree, I guess, that adding him would be about adding a playmaker just so that you have him when you need him to make a play, at the end of the season and in the playoffs.   It's similar to, but not exactly the same as, signing Miller last year.  Regular season production is nice, but the Bills were clear that they brought him to make crucial fourth quarter plays, particularly in January.   He's nice to have on the field at other times, and he contributes, but that's not what he's here for.  

Miller's different because everything indicated that he had more miles left, that he could be that guy for three years or more.   So, he filled both a longer-term need and a win-now need.  Clearly, I don't know, but Hopkins feels more like a one-and-done guy, which is not McBeane's style.   If he projects as a three-year contributor, and if the chemistry works, then he would be a more important acquisition.

I think you're subtly reducing Happy's point by equating the clutch moment with catching a Hail Mary or as something that is only relevant end of the season and playoffs. Clearly, it is a property of every game, even the early ones, and those contribute just as much as the late ones to playoff seeding. Regardless, I've already stated my views several times and rather comprehensively on Hopkins. He's a risk. I would take it. I understand the rationale of those who conclude otherwise.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He stops the double teaming of our best player. That alone is huge.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Harty in the slot combined with Kincaid in the slot at times. Big improvement.

Sherfield/Davis as #2 - may the best man win. Sherfield looked good last year at times.

Shakir and Shorty - good depth.

Knox and Diggs.

New RB's that can pound for the 3rd and 1 yards we never seem to get.

Hopefully a fresh Defense.

POONAH!!!

We are set.... If anything, we need another pass rusher to cover while Von heals.

DHOP aint even close to coming here.  

So last year we entered the season handing Gabe the #2 because of a few good games and he was a disappointment. So this year we bring in another guy who had a few good games to compete with him, that will be the answer?  Last year if we traded for Harty instead of signing McKenzie this board would have went berserk.  TE also ain’t a position you see big impacts out of rookies either.  Right now we have some  new faces, more guys and more question marks on how and who will produce in this lineup.  We are set🙄, yeah I heard that before.

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Your takes are as bad here on Hopkins as they were in the 300 page thread.

They’re sooooo bad.  I took yesterday off and I’m catching up with this thread now. I should thank him for the amount of laughs I’ve had.  Epically terrible takes

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just know there’s no such thing as supernatural beings and the whole tweet is pure trash.

But, what does this mean for the Easter Bunny? 

I’m in wait an and see mood. I don’t want to get all excited, only to be disappointed. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

For me adding Hopkins isn't about adding production. It's about adding someone that can make critical plays in critical moments. Allen and Diggs were the only two that consistently did that last year. A championship offense needs more than just two guys with that ability.

Every Bills loss last year you could point to at least one drop that arguably lost us the game:

Dolphins loss:

-Davis drop in the endzone, taking 4 points off the board in a game we lost by 2

Jets loss:

-Davis drop on 3rd down, forcing us to punt

-Davis drop on 4th and forever in the final seconds, ending the game

Vikings loss:

-Diggs drop on 3rd down, forcing a punt on a critical drive

-Knox drop in the endzone in OT right before Allen's game-ending interception

(I'll also throw in as an honorable mention that Davis 100% dropped the ball on 3rd down on our game-tying drive at the end of regulation, the officials just missed it)

Bengals loss:

-Davis drop on a vertical route on 3rd down which effectively ended the game

There were of course other plays and other failures that led to each of these losses, but we now have the ability to fix this one glaring issue just by adding Hopkins (and for that matter Kincaid) to the picture. According to ESPN, Hopkins has just three drops on 315 targets over the past three seasons - this 1% drop rate is the best in the NFL over that time span.

Nobody will care about the additional 15 yards per game or so that Hopkins may add to the offense, but we will care about that one extra critical catch in a critical game that ultimately leads to us getting the #1 seed. Like you point out we already have the production. We're missing the moments.

it’s the classic conversation about needing both depth and superstars 

you need the guy that on the biggest stages in the biggest moments are going to snag the ball miraculously. Also if diggs rolls an ankle, we aren’t totally without and stuck crowdsourcing and relying on scheme to create all the production. 

long story short- we need a second weapon. Not dhop specific but I’m not sure there’s another true option between now and week one

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

He stops the double teaming of our best player. That alone is huge.

There is that, 👍

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I gave you a while to apologize/retract calling me a racist but crickets.  I’m sure you don’t care but congrats on being first ever and probably last ever report to moderators.

I don’t think you’re being racist either…and I don’t blame you for wanting an apology from that other poster…

But…it is a little telling that your Hopkins takes are so extreme, so bad, so over the top, and so ridiculous that some people are looking for equally extreme reasons to try and figure out how your takes could be this bad.  

So maybe you’re also just being a little bit over the top with your Hopkins bashing crusade too.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you're subtly reducing Happy's point by equating the clutch moment with catching a Hail Mary or as something that is only relevant end of the season and playoffs. Clearly, it is a property of every game, even the early ones, and those contribute just as much as the late ones to playoff seeding. Regardless, I've already stated my views several times and rather comprehensively on Hopkins. He's a risk. I would take it. I understand the rationale of those who conclude otherwise.

That's not what I intended.  Of course, a big play can come anytime in the season, but short-term acquisitions of talent are always done with the late season in mind, not October.  

Its easier to win In October, and if you need Hopkins to win there are other things wrong with your team. 

Happy said the point is not production, which is a season-long thing.  The Hail Murray was great, but when the season came to an end, the Bills were the team to beat, not the Cards.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.