Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I have never said Hopkins career was a bad one.  It wasn’t; he was really good.  But it is on the decline, he cheats, he pouts and he’d be expensive. Bad investment.  

Brady was on the decline, cheated, pouted, and was expensive.  I don’t.think the Bucs regretted that contract.  He wasn’t his best version, but with the defense and surrounding cast, they didn’t need him to be.  Hopkins wouldn’t need to be an all pro, he wouldn’t even be the #1.  What he would be is a very good / reliable #2 WR.  Something we don’t have on this roster and IMO something we really need.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'll start by saying that every individual is different and every rule has its exceptions.

That said, reading this (from The Athletic) gave me pause:

No matter where he signs, though, temper expectations slightly. Hopkins is two years removed from his last All-Pro season and played in only 19 of 34 regular-season games over the past two seasons because of injuries and a suspension. Receivers at his age have struggled to recapture their early career successes; the last 31-plus first-team All-Pro receiver was Reggie Wayne ... in 2010. There’s a reason the Cardinals couldn’t find a deal.

That was Wayne's 9th NFL season.  As I try to recall recent late career seasons of superstar receivers, I can't forget A.J. Green falling off the performance cliff at age 29 in his 8th season and Julio Jones doing the same at age 30 in his 9th season.

In 11 days Hopkins will turn 31 years old as he prepares for his 11th NFL season.

Also WR is a position where age is mostly unforgiving... I think due to the fairly extreme level of physical excellence needed to play the position. I don't know how credible this is but according to Statmuse there are only 11 NFL WRs over the age of 30.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-current-wide-receivers-over-the-age-of-30

The downfall usually starts with nagging injuries. Often the WR still plays well when healthy but has a hard time staying healthy.

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Brady was on the decline, cheated, pouted, and was expensive.  I don’t.think the Bucs regretted that contract.  He wasn’t his best version, but with the defense and surrounding cast, they didn’t need him to be.  Hopkins wouldn’t need to be an all pro, he wouldn’t even be the #1.  What he would be is a very good / reliable #2 WR.  Something we don’t have on this roster and IMO something we really need.  

I agree with most of this.  The way he left NE he looked like a shadow but he still won one.  You did leave out that the kind of cheating he did was different than Hopkins kind which draws long suspensions.  And loss of athleticism was impossible for Brady since he never had any.  Oh, and Brady plays QB.

17 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not responsible for your poor reading comprehension but I’ll hold your hand this one time.  The poster said he averaged 80 yards a game…..WHEN HE PLAYED.  I pointed out that he missed a lot of games and that he is getting older,  I mocked the misuse of stats.

I have never said Hopkins career was a bad one.  It wasn’t; he was really good.  But it is on the decline, he cheats, he pouts and he’d be expensive. Bad investment.  

What? It's not 'misuse of stats' it's average yards PER GAME PLAYED. Who would look at someone's average yardage and include games they didn't play? THAT would be a misuse of stats.

There is a stat for his average yards per game: 80 and a stat for his games played/missed and both of you have a point on those valid statistics. 

On one hand, he's one of the best WR to ever play the game and is still capable of putting up numbers as evidenced by 80 yards per game. On the other hand, he's injury prone and has missed a lot of games for injury/suspension over the past 2 years. 

It's DHOP.... get it done beane!

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

What? It's not 'misuse of stats' it's average yards PER GAME PLAYED. Who would look at someone's average yardage and include games they didn't play? THAT would be a misuse of stats.

There is a stat for his average yards per game: 80 and a stat for his games played/missed and both of you have a point on those valid statistics. 

On one hand, he's one of the best WR to ever play the game and is still capable of putting up numbers as evidenced by 80 yards per game. On the other hand, he's injury prone and has missed a lot of games for injury/suspension over the past 2 years. 

It's DHOP.... get it done beane!

So if I find some dude who played in one game and got 85 yards we should give him 25 million?  

• Vomit 1

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

So if I find some dude who played in one game and got 85 yards we should give him 25 million?  

No, that is too small of a sample size. Half a season isn't though. But the Sample size for DHOP goes back 11 years as well so it's not a small sample size at all. It only becomes a small sample size when you try to misuse the stats (as you so eloquently put).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

No, that is too small of a sample size. Half a season isn't though. But the Sample size for DHOP goes back 11 years as well so it's not a small sample size at all. It only becomes a small sample size when you try to misuse the stats (as you so eloquently put).

Was Hopkins 30 eleven years ago or was that last year?  Should we sign Randy Moss?  He has a good sample size.

There are too many people with shiny object syndrome..

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Was Hopkins 30 eleven years ago or was that last year?  Should we sign Randy Moss?  He has a good sample size.

Did randy moss average 85 yards per game last season? I'm confused. We're talking about one thing and you nonsensically bring up something completely stupid. Strange stuff.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Did randy moss average 85 yards per game last season? I'm confused. We're talking about one thing and you nonsensically bring up something completely stupid. Strange stuff.

Dude he is an established cheater who missed roughly half of last season.  Do players typically get healthier as they age.?  Wishful thinking.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What you’re failing to acknowledge is he’s produced at this level his entire career. It’s not a small sample size. The injury and suspension limited his games played the last 2 years, but his production while on the field remained elite. It’s not an anomaly, it’s how he’s always produced. 

If you wanted to argue that he’s at the age where WR’s tend to start to decline and the chance of regression is high, you’d have a point. That’s the risk of investing in a 32 year old WR. It’s possible he starts to slip. It’s also possible he keeps producing at the same level. 

I for one like the fact that his hands, size, and craftiness are the key factors to his success. He’s never been a burner so he’s less reliant on skills that are likely to fall off at this age. At least that’s how I see it. 

There is risk involved, but I think it’s far outweighed by the potential reward of an absolutely monster season as our #2 WR. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

No one knows or can know how much Hopkins has left in the tank. All you can do is conjecture. It doesn't really matter what is the norm for older receivers. That is common knowledge. Assessment has to match the unique player. Hopkins is over thirty. He has begun to accrue injuries. He did get caught taking a proscribed substance, though it was not a steroid. Nonetheless, he looked to still have a high degree of ability playing with lesser qbs when he came back from suspension. Do you gamble Hopkins will retain health and quality of play for a season or two and offer a competitive contract to go get him? I think it more likely than not he will be enough of the player he has been in the past to be a difference making playmaker the opposing defense cannot ignore for a couple of seasons. I would do it. Folks on the other side of the argument can make a plausible case for caution. If he decides to chase the money, I don't think we're in. If he is willing to sacrifice a bit from what a team like the Lions could offer to play with Allen and have a legit chance at a ring, Beane has enough resources to make that work. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not responsible for your poor reading comprehension but I’ll hold your hand this one time.  The poster said he averaged 80 yards a game…..WHEN HE PLAYED.  I pointed out that he missed a lot of games and that he is getting older,  I mocked the misuse of stats.

Lol at you trying to save face….its not fooling anyone. 

1 hour ago, arcane said:

This poster is not particularly bright. 

Comes off like "black guy = trouble"

"Roidster" in a league of Greek statues running 4.3s, having tendons and muscle tears heal 3xs faster than regular humans.

Being an athlete and having muscle tears heal infinitely faster than Joe blow, are not related. These guys aren't healing faster because they're athletes, 99% of the league is using sh**.

Dude still thinks hulk hogan just ate his veggies 🤣 

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Beane is a genius with the cap.

Find some way to dump all the money we pissed away on Knox, and use it to buy this guy.

We need a new loophole.

Add in Jim Overdorf and Kevin Meganck and you have three individuals who know how to manage the cap well.  There will be years when the Bills will use multiple players they would love to keep like Edmunds. The performance bar will be pretty high to stay on the roster as a vet looking for a lucrative second deal...that's what the draft and $1.7M per year UFA deals are for...but the Bills are in great shape with a QB who cares more about winning than year to year money.

52 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree with most of this.  The way he left NE he looked like a shadow but he still won one.  You did leave out that the kind of cheating he did was different than Hopkins kind which draws long suspensions.  And loss of athleticism was impossible for Brady since he never had any.  Oh, and Brady plays QB.

Lol! Clueless. Brady was clearly taking a chit ton of growth hormone, but he's "less cheating" than Hopkins.

You. Are. Clueless!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.