Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

They had one of the best drafts in recent memory (for ANY team) last season. Their first pick is already an All-Pro. Their second pick was great even with Zach Wilson and I believe will be an All-Pro by next year. Their 3rd pick was better at DE in his first season that Rousseou was in his second season, and had a top PFF ranking.  Their 4th pick was a top 10 player at his position before he got hurt last season. 

They just NAILED that draft.

Yeah they had a great draft, they had 4 top 40 picks and 2 top 10 picks. They seem to have hit on them, that’s what you want. 

That comment about Jermaine Johnson and Greg Rousseau is wrong though. I don’t know where you got that information. 

Johnson 

OVERALL/RUN/PASS/SNAPS

71.7/68.7/64.6/309

Rousseau

OVERALL/RUN/PASS/SNAPS

83.6/67.9/82.7/450

42 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Why would he be a problem in the locker room? I don’t think he’s been a problem in the locker room in the past. Even his recently-former Arizona teammates all seem to be wishing him luck (and this is with him potentially forcing himself off the team because they are tanking).

I believe he and diggs would clash. hence bringing problems. just my thoughts, not in stone. just as I feel he will be a raider. after all the smoke and dust clear he will wear silver and black. again, not popular, not in stone, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol averaged 80 yards a game…….in the games that he played.

And oooh…. 3 touchdowns.  20M for that?  Brilliant.  That’s too more than Tommy Doyle’s entire career.

Guys he needed the roids to recover from injuries which do not exactly tend to decrease after 30 and if he uses the roids again….. boom full season.  

80 yards a game puts him at #8 in the NFL last year.

In fact, only 5 players in NFL history have an 80 yard game or above average in their career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_per_g_career.htm

And you spelled “two” wrong.

Nice job in this post.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The typical salary cap frightened posters like @Thurman#1 and @4merper4mer are out in full force in this thread.😅

I’m not frightened of the salary cap.  I’m against burning it on losers.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In fact, only 5 players in NFL history have an 80 yard game or above average in their career.

Nice job in this post.

Swizzle around stats all you like but when he is not playing he gets zero yards.

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Nice job in this post.

Who were the QB's throwing to him last year?  If I'm not mistaken there were quite a few backups in the mix, all considering, 80 yards a game with a mish mash of backups isn't too shabby.

The guy still plays at a high level and undoubtedly would be a major upgrade to the team.

• Like (+1) 2

I'll start by saying that every individual is different and every rule has its exceptions.

That said, reading this (from The Athletic) gave me pause:

No matter where he signs, though, temper expectations slightly. Hopkins is two years removed from his last All-Pro season and played in only 19 of 34 regular-season games over the past two seasons because of injuries and a suspension. Receivers at his age have struggled to recapture their early career successes; the last 31-plus first-team All-Pro receiver was Reggie Wayne ... in 2010. There’s a reason the Cardinals couldn’t find a deal.

That was Wayne's 9th NFL season.  As I try to recall recent late career seasons of superstar receivers, I can't forget A.J. Green falling off the performance cliff at age 29 in his 8th season and Julio Jones doing the same at age 30 in his 9th season.

In 11 days Hopkins will turn 31 years old as he prepares for his 11th NFL season.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane got burned by spending huge money on an aging vet just this year.  Do you think he is going to do it again when the player in question is also a cheater and has pouted his way out of town twice now?  Miller was a roll of the dice that came up snake eyes.  It happens.  Hopkins would be more like buying 2000 Powerball tickets.

The reason Beane has to spend money on vets is because our rookies hardly make any impact. So that’s on him, he’s drafting. Or you can blame McD for not getting these guys ready to play on Sunday. 

Whose idea was it not bring any real competition for Gabe last year?

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'll start by saying that every individual is different and every rule has its exceptions.

That said, reading this (from The Athletic) gave me pause:

No matter where he signs, though, temper expectations slightly. Hopkins is two years removed from his last All-Pro season and played in only 19 of 34 regular-season games over the past two seasons because of injuries and a suspension. Receivers at his age have struggled to recapture their early career successes; the last 31-plus first-team All-Pro receiver was Reggie Wayne ... in 2010. There’s a reason the Cardinals couldn’t find a deal.

That was Wayne's 9th NFL season.  As I try to recall recent late career seasons of superstar receivers, I can't forget A.J. Green falling off the performance cliff at age 29 in his 8th season and Julio Jones doing the same at age 30 in his 9th season.

In 11 days Hopkins will turn 31 years old as he prepares for his 11th NFL season.

I think its a bit steep to use “1st team All Pro” as a measuring stick.

Josh Allen wasn’t a 1st team All Pro last year and we all know how good he is.

If Hopkins puts up 80-85 catches with 800-900 yards and 5-7 TD’s….absolutely worth it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Beane got burned by spending huge money on an aging vet just this year.  Do you think he is going to do it again when the player in question is also a cheater and has pouted his way out of town twice now?  Miller was a roll of the dice that came up snake eyes.  It happens.  Hopkins would be more like buying 2000 Powerball tickets.

I HOPE he does.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think its a bit steep to use “1st team All Pro” as a measuring stick.

Josh Allen wasn’t a 1st team All Pro last year and we all know how good he is.

If Hopkins puts up 80-85 catches with 800-900 yards and 5-7 TD’s….absolutely worth it.

I was going to say similar, DHop doesn't have to be All Pro for him to have a huge impact.  If DHop is substantially better than Davis, the Bills will be a better team with DHop.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am still laughing that you used an 80 yard a game average as a reason to mock his performance last year.

It’s still a bad idea to assess his season on games played only when he missed half of it.  He has also shown that his recovery methods include cheating.

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I HOPE he does.

Right.  Like the Powerball.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am still laughing that you used an 80 yard a game average as a reason to mock his performance last year.

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Nice job in this post.

This poster is not particularly bright. 

Edited by arcane
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s still a bad idea to assess his season on games played only when he missed half of it.  He has also shown that his recovery methods include cheating.

LOl what?  You’re the one who mocked him for his 80 yard per game average.  Its now a bad idea to assess his season last year because you just now found out 80 yard average is actually great 😂 

Oh and Hopkins averages just under 80 for his career which is 7th all time.  So he’s still at his career pace…with terrible QB play.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOl what?  You’re the one who mocked him for his 80 yard per game average.  Its now a bad idea to assess his season last year because you just now found out 80 yard average is actually great 😂 

Oh and Hopkins averages just under 80 for his career which is 7th all time.  So he’s still at his career pace…with terrible QB play.

I’m not responsible for your poor reading comprehension but I’ll hold your hand this one time.  The poster said he averaged 80 yards a game…..WHEN HE PLAYED.  I pointed out that he missed a lot of games and that he is getting older,  I mocked the misuse of stats.

I have never said Hopkins career was a bad one.  It wasn’t; he was really good.  But it is on the decline, he cheats, he pouts and he’d be expensive. Bad investment.  

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Maybe I'm the only one or at least one of the few but I'm not really all that impressed or obsessed with this player like those on this board. Personally I believe he'll be more of a problem in the locker room than he will be a benefit on the field. I know so many are just so enthralled by his gifted athleticism as a wide receiver but I am not and I will see no problem moving on from him whether it be this thread the other thread or the other 10 threads. I believe he goes to the raiders.

I'll politely disagree. Dhop has never been a locker room issue and he has always put up numbers regardless of his QB.

Guy is as close to a HOFer without being one as you can be. He has never won Jack in the NFL, that's his biggest resume downside.

I mean his 3 wants is 1) QB 2) DEF 3) Stable front office 

Oh yeah, definitely sounds like a locker room issue.

Not sure the money works out, as Beane would have to deem the future salary cap sacrifices worth the player, but just Dhop as a player I'd like him to be a Bill.

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Maybe I'm the only one or at least one of the few but I'm not really all that impressed or obsessed with this player like those on this board. Personally I believe he'll be more of a problem in the locker room than he will be a benefit on the field. I know so many are just so enthralled by his gifted athleticism as a wide receiver but I am not and I will see no problem moving on from him whether it be this thread the other thread or the other 10 threads. I believe he goes to the raiders.

WR is the most important position on the field other than QB. This is what IMO people are missing, football was a better game in the past and we all remember that. But it's different now. The Bills are very unlikely to win a championship with bith Gabe Davis as #2 WR and Ken Dorsey as OC; just leaves you too short in offense to keep up with the Chiefs and Bengals of the world.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.