Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Is your goal to win a SB? If, so... when? These next two years, IMO, are the best chances to achieve this goal. Strike while the iron is hot!! Diggs, Hopkins, Davis, Allen would be our version on Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Burrow. Bengals have been the only team to beat KC in playoffs. Kincaid, Knox, Harty, Sherfield would be considered bonuses to the equation. Let's make this happen Beane!! Let's get over this mountain sooner than later. 

This team as is, can compete and win the SB.  Just like LY and the year before.  Nobody was complaining after the KC loss, except about 13 seconds and lack of DL pressure (maybe toss RT into that too).

All of a sudden, after the team (entire group) played poorly against Cincy, we need another all pro WR?  Makes no sense.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

This team as is, can compete and win the SB.  Just like LY and the year before.  Nobody was complaining after the KC loss, except about 13 seconds and lack of DL pressure (maybe toss RT into that too).

All of a sudden, after the team (entire group) played poorly against Cincy, we need another all pro WR?  Makes no sense.

No sense?? The Bills were tops in the league with dropped passes. Hopkins would not only solve that problem, but take attention from Diggs. Smoke and Beasley were actually brought in to help and that failed. Get a bonafide threat in here to help Josh and the offense. Like I said, Harty and Sherfield are bonuses

4 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

If he goes to Philly that would be insane

Can't let that happen, IMO

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he had 64 receptions in only 8 games last season….

with less than ideal QB play to say the least

And probably not near enough space to fully lose whatever gains he may have had and only half a season to make it through.

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

No sense?? The Bills were tops in the league with dropped passes. Hopkins would not only solve that problem, but take attention from Diggs. Smoke and Beasley were actually brought in to help and that failed. Get a bonafide threat in here to help Josh and the offense. Like I said, Harty and Sherfield are bonuses

Can't let that happen, IMO

The dropped passes stat, can you please share the specifics/source?  It's been said alot, assuming someone actually provided our stats from LY by player. 

Smoke got meaningless snaps.  Beas was brought back because our top slot option broke an ankle, Isiah was inconsistent/struggled against zone, and our 5th round rookie was learning the ropes.

Beane has since talked up Shakir, brought in Harty, and used a 1st on Kincaid.  That's an upgrade, and this isn't enough for you?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Hopkins doesn’t draw a lot of coverage while he is hurt, pouting or suspended for roids…..which is a lot…..but his contract burns cap anyway.

hes been incredibly healthy, you outted yourself as a casual

pouting? he's never pouted unless you consider wanting off a team thats in a full rebuild in his prime, pouting........ casual

"roids"..... it was a peptide to help recover from injury, same class of stuff 99% of the league turns to when injured (would bet Josh used stuff for his elbow)... or you can live in a shell and think these guys muscles and tendons that tear have some magic ability to heal that nobody else does lollll (they dont)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

The dropped passes stat, can you please share the specifics/source?  It's been said alot, assuming someone actually provided our stats from LY by player. 

Smoke got meaningless snaps.  Beas was brought back because our top slot option broke an ankle, Isiah was inconsistent/struggled against zone, and our 5th round rookie was learning the ropes.

Beane has since talked up Shakir, brought in Harty, and used a 1st on Kincaid.  That's an upgrade, and this isn't enough for you?

Beane talked up Cody Ford too!! I'd rather have a proven commodity to get me over the hump. If your car needed repair, would you take it to a reputable mechanic or let a jack leg work on it? 

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

This is a weak argument. Just because you got better, if your not the best, you need to keep trying to improve any way possible. 

We don't have the best receiving core. We still need to get better if we can. End of story.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Sharky7337 said:

This is a weak argument. Just because you got better, if your not the best, you need to keep trying to improve any way possible. 

We don't have the best receiving core. We still need to get better if we can. End of story.

At what cost?  Or does that not matter

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Beane talked up Cody Ford too!! I'd rather have a proven commodity to get me over the hump. If your car needed repair, would you take it to a reputable mechanic or let a jack leg work on it? 

If you're ready to bucket Shakir with Ford, that's a you problem. 

I'll take it to the reputable mechanic, ***that's not overpriced. That's what this boils down to me, is cost for Dhop...

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Name a a player that would have more impact. None of the DEs out there would have as much impact on our team as much as Hopkins would be added to the O.

I'd totally let Davis walk to keep hopkins.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

If you're ready to bucket Shakir with Ford, that's a you problem. 

I'll take it to the reputable mechanic, ***that's not overpriced. That's what this boils down to me, is cost for Dhop...

Regardless!! It's gonna cost you to get the job done right 🙂

29 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Depends if you think Dhop puts us in SB contention/how much does it move the needle?

Yes our offense is likely better, but by how much?  We've been a top scoring/top end offense and the defense failed us against KC 2x, then against Cincy that was a complete team failure.

Beane might not need to buy patience, Pegula might not agree with you.  And everyone has a different risk level, depends what you define as too much caution....again, likely not Beanes view.

I understand your stance and I would guess Beane is likely to hold a perspective closer to your own. I think in a couple of years, Kincaid might very well be a force. By that time, Diggs will be near the end of his prime WR1 threat years. Hopkins adds that pressure now. The two together should make everyone else's job easier because the defense is spread thin. As I've said elsewhere, you need a good defense. It's not prudent in today's game to try and build a dominant defense like the '85 Bears. You win by outscoring opponents. Scare them with playmakers all over the field and a bold, franchise qb. Pegula may be complacent, or he may not. Another season that ends in a whimper playoff time might alter levels of content. I assure you Diggs and Allen are not going to be happy with another early failure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You’ve stated this a dozen times. Is it important that you do this?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I understand your stance and I would guess Beane is likely to hold a perspective closer to your own. I think in a couple of years, Kincaid might very well be a force. By that time, Diggs will be near the end of his prime WR1 threat years. Hopkins adds that pressure now. The two together should make everyone else's job easier because the defense is spread thin. As I've said elsewhere, you need a good defense. It's not prudent in today's game to try and build a dominant defense like the '85 Bears. You win by outscoring opponents. Scare them with playmakers all over the field and a bold, franchise qb. Pegula may be complacent, or he may not. Another season that ends in a whimper playoff time might alter levels of content. I assure you Diggs and Allen are not going to be happy with another early failure. 

Very fair and well said!  Can't argue the merits of this, we will see how this shakes out.  

Either way, I'm feeling good about our current group...Dhop would be a nice bonus, but not necessity to me

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’ve stated this a dozen times. Is it important that you do this?

I guess it's just as important as others posting a dozen times on their thoughts, or posting eye roll emojis,, or someone who spends time as a moderator.

People quote you and you respond, it's a message board...figured that comes with the territory. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, Capco said:

I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think he's at least in the ballpark.  As I understand it, the concept of dead money is simply that every dollar paid to a player has to be allocated against the salary cap eventually, one way or another, even if that player is no longer on the roster.  

For example, a deal can be structured so that a player gets paid $10 million in real, actual dollars in Year 1, but his Year 1 cap hit is only $5 million.  If that player gets cut after Year 1, the team will have $5 million in dead money.  That is because the player was already paid $10 million, but only $5 million has been counted against the cap so far.  The other $5 million has to be accounted for, and so the team will carry a $5 million dead cap hit in Year 2.  The player doesn't actually have to receive any real, actual dollars from the team in Year 2 for there to be dead money counted against Year 2's salary cap.  

Bonuses (prorated signing) and guaranteed money all accelerate to the current cap year.  If they do a post June 1 designation or cut ties after June 1, they can split it across the current year and next year.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Zach Wilson disaster, Aaron Rodgers overdpaid and over the hill, yes the MAY have had a good draft

They had one of the best drafts in recent memory (for ANY team) last season. Their first pick is already an All-Pro. Their second pick was great even with Zach Wilson and I believe will be an All-Pro by next year. Their 3rd pick was better at DE in his first season that Rousseou was in his second season, and had a top PFF ranking.  Their 4th pick was a top 10 player at his position before he got hurt last season. 

They just NAILED that draft.

Beane has been in on OBJ, he’s had interest in other WR’s as well

Its clear he’s trying to upgrade the WR2 spot so I’m guessing the interest in Nuke is genuine 

Hopefully he can pull it off!

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, nucci said:

it does not. This team is built to contend for SB now and maybe next 2 years. Future not important at this point

Exactly, regardless of what anybody says, when you have a team that’s been right on the cusp for two years, you add the difference makers to get it done.  All the teams that try to keep their window open by minding the cap get to watch their window shut with nothing to show for it.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.