Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

9 minutes ago, Shemp said:

There are things I'm concerned about if the Bills get Hopkins. How many ways can you split the rock? The Bills already have Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Sherfield, Hardy, Shorter, Knox, Kincaid, Cook, Harris, Hines, Murray and more, not to mention Allen who likes to hang onto the ball. Will Diggs be P-Oed that the Bills would be getting someone who might take away from his touches? It would be an embarrassment of riches on the offensive side, but wouldn't the Bills be better off to invest more on the defense, which have been gashed by the elite teams?

It's simple. Diggs and Hopkins will demand coverage and that will open up the field for everyone on the team. And the way you win in the current NFL is always be good enough on offense to be able to outscore the opponent. You need a good, but not great defense. We have that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Shemp said:

There are things I'm concerned about if the Bills get Hopkins. How many ways can you split the rock? The Bills already have Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Sherfield, Hardy, Shorter, Knox, Kincaid, Cook, Harris, Hines, Murray and more, not to mention Allen who likes to hang onto the ball. Will Diggs be P-Oed that the Bills would be getting someone who might take away from his touches? It would be an embarrassment of riches on the offensive side, but wouldn't the Bills be better off to invest more on the defense, which have been gashed by the elite teams?

Why you talking about all these guys like they are all proven players on Sunday? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Why you talking about all these guys like they are all proven players on Sunday? 

He just wants to expand the numbers to make it seem ridiculous to think there are enough snaps for everybody. Of course, there aren't, but many of the names are JAGs, and the ones who aren't will benefit when they get single coverage in advantageous positions of the field because Hopkins and Diggs have to both be accounted for.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

No matter what happens to me if the bills take the next step it is going to be because of the offensive line play was better, they run the ball more traditionally and are able to execute in the redzone because of it better.

We were 3rd in rush YPC last year. That is not the missing ingredient. What the Bills need more than anything is another playmaker. When it's 4th and forever and the QB has a torn elbow and still manages to drop a 70 yard bomb into a bucket, we need a player on the other end that comes down with the ball and somehow turns a hopeless loss into a probable win. That's what championship teams are made of.

You're crazy if you try to downplay how impactful the additions of AJ Brown and OBJ were to their respective teams. Even Toney, the reason I brought him up is that his punt return may have won the Chiefs a Super Bowl. It's not just about production, it's about the ability to create moments of magic. Hopkins has the production and the playmaking, as Bills fans know very well.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Receiver DeAndre Hopkins is free to sign with anyone. But the contract won’t be anywhere close to free.

As one source explained it to PFT on Saturday morning, Hopkins currently expects to secure a significant contract on the open market. The problem, however, is that no one wanted to trade for his prior deal, which paid less than $20 million this year.

Early in the process, there was a belief that Hopkins would want an adjustment that replaced the back end of his existing contract, which had two years remaining.

There’s another complication. Although Hopkins said during an early March appearance with Pat McAfee that Hopkins has hired an agent for this next phase of his career, NFL Players Association records reveal that he is unrepresented.

Per multiple sources, the notorious Saint Omni is “running the show” for Hopkins. At least one viable contender for Hopkins’s services is leery about dealing with Omni. And for good reason. Last year, the NFL specifically warned all teams not to deal with Omni or any other non-certified agent in connection with linebacker Roquan Smith.

Although Omni has managed to work in the shadows, or more conspicuously, on behalf of players like Smith and Texans tackle Laremy Tunsil, if a team that otherwise would be aggressively pursuing Hopkins opts to back away because it’s not comfortable dealing with Omni, that necessarily limits the player’s potential options.

Thus, between the player’s expectations and unofficial representation, it might not be as simple and as seamless as it would seem for Hopkins to land on a new team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Shemp said:

Your starting looks are:

11 personnel..

Diggs/Hopkins/Davis

Knox or Kincaid

Cook or Harris

12 personnel..

Diggs/Hopkins

Knox/Kincaid

Cook or Harris

Depth..

Davis still get significant snaps in 11 and as primary depth to Diggs and Hop

Harty stays as WR4 and rotates in as the speed option inside & outside 

Shakir, Sherfield, Shorter all fight for snaps and Shakir/Shorter continue their development for potentially bigger roles in the future 

Murray is the short yardage back

Hines is our KR/PR and who cares if we get him involved a ton on offense 

Looks like well defined roles to me. 

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Not to be a debbie downer - but I bet the Bills brass is fine with what we have. We have a top 5 receiver in Diggs and a strong cast of other WR's in Sherfield, Harty, Davis, and then Kincaid and Fort Knox. I seriously doubt we go for Dhop. Just don't see it. It would be cool but so unrealistic to an actual Football mind outside of the 2 Bills Drive fanhood.

I FULLY agree. Bills are set on receivers. Of course, in a fantasy world, stack up the talent. But with the salary cap, egos, etc. I just don't get how so many fans are desperate for it. 

52 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He just wants to expand the numbers to make it seem ridiculous to think there are enough snaps for everybody. Of course, there aren't, but many of the names are JAGs, and the ones who aren't will benefit when they get single coverage in advantageous positions of the field because Hopkins and Diggs have to both be accounted for.

Poor Kincaid, going from first round best TE prospect in college football to JAG without ever playing a snap in the NFL :(

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We were 3rd in rush YPC last year. That is not the missing ingredient. What the Bills need more than anything is another playmaker. When it's 4th and forever and the QB has a torn elbow and still manages to drop a 70 yard bomb into a bucket, we need a player on the other end that comes down with the ball and somehow turns a hopeless loss into a probable win. That's what championship teams are made of.

You're crazy if you try to downplay how impactful the additions of AJ Brown and OBJ were to their respective teams. Even Toney, the reason I brought him up is that his punt return may have won the Chiefs a Super Bowl. It's not just about production, it's about the ability to create moments of magic. Hopkins has the production and the playmaking, as Bills fans know very well.

That is why I said traditional running game.  The ypc comes a lot from allen's amazing abilities.  

I want to see them be able to line up on first down and run out of an 11 set forcing to teams to adjust later in the game to it.  Not scrambles or reverses etc.  Straight running.  If they can do that it sets up lots of 3rd down short yardage situations where the team would have three options, running with a back, going to the big tight end or a wr or allen running it.  Teams do not fear and certainly did not fear the bills running last year in that situation.  Now they feared allen but that is not the same thing.

yea dropping touchdowns is not good and it sucked when that happened last year.  There are a few games over the last 3 years they have lost which they should not have.  

I did not downplay brown those are your words.  I am simply stating the facts.  He did not lead to a championship.  The eagles did also not have a number 1 wr at his level the way the bills already do.  They made just as  impactful additions in reddick, bradberry, CJ Gardner johnson and drafting jordan davis.  They were just excellent up front on both sides of the ball.  That allowed them to play the game the way they wanted to and dictate the tone of the game each and every week.

Again I said my peace on toney.  He is not the same level of player nor was he expensive.  He made a big punt return yes but he is always injured and wasn't the reason the chiefs did anything.  They improved their offensive line and allowed mahomes to have time to play the game.  Their defense always makes timely plays.

Will hopkins get them over the hump?  In a perfect situation where all the personalities can handle the expectations, the players can handle sharing the spotlight and the ball and keeping trouble out of the locker room when the team loses close games, then sure.   That is the perfect situation though and it never works out that way for anyone sans a few teams across sports in history.  

To me no matter if hopkins signs or not the team is going to get over the hump by being more physical up front (AKA running the ball), having their star defensive players healthy and playing well when the playoffs start and just having some good old fashioned luck.  I think they have improved the O-Line and I really like the backs they have and think the Running game is going to be different and better this year.  In the end they will win if allen is clean in the pocket and they can run the ball and score in multiple ways in the redzone.  Having the guys they were missing on defense available will be as big a pickup as any.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shemp said:

Hopkins takes Davis's spot.

An upgrade is needed there

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Your starting looks are:

11 personnel..

Diggs/Hopkins/Davis

Knox or Kincaid

Cook or Harris

12 personnel..

Diggs/Hopkins

Knox/Kincaid

Cook or Harris

Depth..

Davis still get significant snaps in 11 and as primary depth to Diggs and Hop

Harty stays as WR4 and rotates in as the speed option inside & outside 

Shakir, Sherfield, Shorter all fight for snaps and Shakir/Shorter continue their development for potentially bigger roles in the future 

Murray is the short yardage back

Hines is our KR/PR and who cares if we get him involved a ton on offense 

Looks like well defined roles to me. 

Good luck trying to stop that offense

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Poor Kincaid, going from first round best TE prospect in college football to JAG without ever playing a snap in the NFL :(

That's not what I said. In addition, I was one of the fellas who was pushing for taking Kincaid over a month before the draft. Diggs and Hopkins on the field won't take snaps from Kincaid who will line up at big slot most of the time. It won't hurt Knox, either.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Hopkins doesn’t draw a lot of coverage while he is hurt, pouting or suspended for roids…..which is a lot…..but his contract burns cap anyway.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Also, if I’m Davis, seeking that lucrative second contract…

He should absolutely dominate as WR3 out there. 

If he puts up numbers in that role, with what he’s already put on tape and his big play advanced metrics .. someone is going to pay him big $$$, especially when they can convince themselves he’s now ready for a starring role after being behind Diggs and Hopkins.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.