Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is our decade. Decade and a half. Going all in on this year, meaning sacrificing the future, is nuts.

I very much  disagree. I rather get the first Lombardi and worry about the next decade later. It's better to win at least one than be above average for 10 years

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I have some bad news for you then

every single player on the Bills is only motivated by money

Yes.   But I view that motivation in different ways, there are subtle differences to how each player is motivated by money.  

for some guys it really is about money and ego, some guys it is about money to be a leader on their team.  

I do not view it as black and white.  

23 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, yeah, I do realize it.

There is always money left on the credit cards too. But the people who think that means it's a great idea to max out those cards because they can don't end up having successful financial lives.

There are always more shiny objects out there too. 

Always.

Sports is very much different than personal and corporate finances

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Signing D-Hop, unless were paying him something crazy, isn’t “mortgaging the future”… at least not while Josh Allen is here. 

What we will need to do is hit at a better rate on our impact draft picks moving forward.   The money to backfill if we don’t won’t likely be as available. 

Unfortunately, it really is mortgaging the future. Precisely that.

Unless D-Hop somehow comes here on the cheap. That would be fantastic but I don't see that happening, unfortunately. 

We're only $1.6M under the cap right now. Everybody knows this. What many don't know is that  we're already $35M OVER the cap for 2024. 

And yeah, it would be great to draft better. Any team can say that regardless of their cap status. We already draft pretty well. I'm for drafting better, though. But teams drafting late in the round simply don't have the opportunities or likelihood of getting the best results out of their draft. 

Give D-Hop a big signing bonus and you've kicked money down the road ... and that $35M has gone up, as has the cap figure for each year of the rest of the contract. 

It's precisely mortgaging the future. You can do it, but there are limits and very very real consequences.

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Sports is very much different than personal and corporate finances

Sure, sure.

But the salary cap and credit card analogy is really right on target. Excepting interest, of course. 

But a team paying a signing bonus and the way the amortization works is a near-exact match to how credit cards work. You borrow the money? You have to account for it. Borrow enough money from future years and you'll destroy your freedom to spend in those future years.

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I very much  disagree. I rather get the first Lombardi and worry about the next decade later. It's better to win at least one than be above average for 10 years

I personally think you're crazy. But it's a legitimate view.

I'm sure you don't care if I don't share that view. Why would you? Thing is, it's a view that is also not shared by Beane and Co. They've said multiple times that their goal is to be competitive every year.

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would expect our main formations to be

3 WR  1 TE  1 RB

2 WR  2 TE  1 RB

4 WR  1 TE

Hopkins took 27% of his snaps in the slot in 2022. Moving him and Diggs around could create a lot of problems!

In terms of whether we could use D-Hop and whether he would improve us, I totally agree with you. He'd cause opponents problems. He's a great player.

30 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is our decade. Decade and a half. Going all in on this year, meaning sacrificing the future, is nuts.

Nonsense.

Somewhere there was a Green Bay version of you that was saying "this is our decade and a half,   going all in this year would be nuts" after they won the SB in 2011.

Aaron Rodgers never even reached another Super Bowl in the next 11 seasons despite being the most talented QB in the NFC every year.

Meanwhile........Josh Allen plays in a conference loaded with elite young QB talent like Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow,  Trevor Lawrence and a bunch of other QB's capable of taking teams to a Super Bowl.    If it didn't work out for the Packers with THAT cakewalk of a setup then presuming that it will for the Bills is idiocy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Unfortunately, it really is mortgaging the future. Precisely that.

Unless D-Hop somehow comes here on the cheap. That would be fantastic but I don't see that happening, unfortunately. 

We're only $1.6M under the cap right now. Everybody knows this. What many don't know is that  we're already $35M OVER the cap for 2024. 

And yeah, it would be great to draft better. Any team can say that regardless of their cap status. We already draft pretty well. I'm for drafting better, though. But teams drafting late in the round simply don't have the opportunities or likelihood of getting the best results out of their draft. 

Give D-Hop a big signing bonus and you've kicked money down the road ... and that $35M has gone up, as has the cap figure for each year of the rest of the contract. 

It's precisely mortgaging the future. You can do it, but there are limits and very very real consequences.

Sure, sure.

But the salary cap and credit card analogy is really right on target. Excepting interest, of course. 

But a team paying a signing bonus and the way the amortization works is a near-exact match to how credit cards work. You borrow the money? You have to account for it. Borrow enough money from future years and you'll destroy your freedom to spend in those future years.

the cap keeps going up & there are ways to structute contracts to limit their impact

GO FOR IT!  

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Nonsense.

Somewhere there was a Green Bay version of you that was saying "this is our decade and a half,   going all in this year would be nuts" after they won the SB in 2011.

Aaron Rodgers never even reached another Super Bowl in the next 11 seasons despite being the most talented QB in the NFC every year.

Meanwhile........Josh Allen plays in a conference loaded with elite young QB talent like Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow,  Trevor Lawrence and a bunch of other QB's capable of taking teams to a Super Bowl.    If it didn't work out for the Packers with THAT cakewalk of a setup then presuming that it will for the Bills is idiocy.

You said nonsense, and then didn't say a single word that put any logical pressure on what I said. Not a single word. So your response wasn't nonsense. But it was irrelevant to what I said.

Green Bay had  a terrific run during that period. Didn't win another one, but came close numerous times and it was a great time to be a Packer fan.

You can pretend that bringing in D-Hop would guarantee a title this year. It would only be pretending. It would raise the chances this year but drop them for years after.

This absolutely is going to be our decade to decade and a half as long as we have Allen and don't put ourselves in cap jail at some points and throw away a few of those years.

• Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You said nonsense, and then didn't say a single word that put any logical pressure on what I said. Not a single word. So your response wasn't nonsense. But it was irrelevant to what I said.

Green Bay had  a terrific run during that period. Didn't win another one, but came close numerous times and it was a great time to be a Packer fan.

You can pretend that bringing in D-Hop would guarantee a title this year. It would only be pretending. It would raise the chances this year but drop them for years after.

This absolutely is going to be our decade to decade and a half as long as we have Allen and don't put ourselves in cap jail at some points and throw away a few of those years.

the future is uncertain. God forbid, Allen could have an awful injury, or leave Buffalo. 

the next 10-15 years of winning at a high level  is not promised, especially in this league.

adding this player gives us the best chance we can get to win a championship

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the cap keeps going up & there are ways to structute contracts to limit their impact

GO FOR IT!  

Your salary can keep going up and there are ways to structure your personal loans so that they ... Same deal. Those things aren't get out of jail free cards. They just mean borrowing more from future years.

And no, there aren't ways to structure contracts to limit their impact, in terms of playing games with the cap. There are ways to structure contracts to limit their impact in specific years. I mean, sure, you're right, you can structure a contract to limit impact. You could make it totally non-guaranteed, give zero signing bonus and vet min all four years. Very very limited cap impact. But D-Hop doesn't sign that contract. You've got to write a contract the player will sign. They want bonuses and guaranteed money and big money. 

The fact that the cap is going up is already cooked into the financial decisions Beane's already made. They reached the point where they 

Go for it ... if it makes sense. Otherwise, pass.

I don't think there's a zero chance this happens. But the current situation makes it pretty damn unlikely.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

But personal finances are for the long term. Slow and steady is a good philosophy

NFL is very very different. We have suffered long enough. I just want to win one now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.