Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

9 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Then Cardinals are overtaking the Texans as the worst run NFL franchise followed closely by the Browns and the Jests   and no we cant afford it unless he wants to come ridiculously cheap..

So what you're saying is that DHop is a cancer who destroyed both the Texans and Cardinals.  Go ahead, sign with the Jets then lol.

5 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Git. Er. Dun. Don’t listen to the make believe capologists here. 

As I've said in another thread, it's great to want him here and figure out ways it could be done. But just because fans are comfortable with doing certain things and see a possible way to do it, doesn't mean Beane will be comfortable doing it and sees things the same way.

Per my usual source, word for word from them - "The Bills are HEAVILY interested in DHop. It's already beyond a call being made. Work is being done."

Teams became aware that Hopkins would be released several days ago. Around that same time the Bills conducted an imaging review of Tre White's knee to make sure they would be comfortable tying themselves to his future in the event of a necessary restructure. White has performed very well at OTAs and the team is more confident than ever about his future.

That's all I have.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 9

1 hour ago, BLizzyMeock said:

Pretty sure you are wrong.... Dead money for the NFL salary cap is guaranteed cash and bonuses for a player who no longer is on that particular team. The dead money comes from what the player was owed before the team decided to move on

I don't pretend to understand all the nuances of NFL contracts fully...  I was just going by a story I read in USA Today (who admittedly may have it wrong as well ...)

Analysis of why the Arizona Cardinals decided to release Deandre Hopkins

Knowing the upcoming 2023 season is going to be a difficult one with Murray still months away from returning from a torn ACL and facing having to pay Hopkins $19.4 million this year and $14.9 million in 2024, it was no longer going to work.

Things unraveled to the point that it wasn’t going to happen here. The Cardinals knew it and that’s why they are willing to eat $22.6 million in dead cap money now to move on from Hopkins, clear $7.3 million in cap space this season, and continue with their rebuild.

10 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

Still can’t afford it. Moot. 

Yeah, this.

Unless he gives a hometown discount regardless of this not being his hometown.

I mean you always can.

But there are consequences that make it a bad idea in the current situation.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Eyeroll 1

33 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I absolutely  loved this.  Let's make this happen.  Idc about mortgaging the future.  Make this our year,  go all in

This is our decade. Decade and a half. Going all in on this year, meaning sacrificing the future, is nuts.

• Haha (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ya know, if we would have kept this to THE DeAndre Hopkins thread, it would have been over 300 by now. Here's hoping the mods merge.

Meanwhile, the thread about Hopkins on the Cardinals forum is just 10 pages.

Just now, FluffHead said:

When will you all realize there is always money in the banana stand? 

Yeah, yeah, I do realize it.

There is always money left on the credit cards too. But the people who think that means it's a great idea to max out those cards because they can don't end up having successful financial lives.

There are always more shiny objects out there too. 

Always.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is our decade. Decade and a half. Going all in on this year, meaning sacrificing the future, is nuts.

You can reset any year at any time. When you have an elite qb, you go for it. The cap is malleable 

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, yeah, I do realize it.

There is always money left on the credit cards too. But the people who think that means it's a great idea to max out those cards because they can don't end up having successful financial lives.

There are always more shiny objects out there too. 

Always.

I hope you’re currently saving for 4 christmases from now 

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

“This is not the way”

-Brandon Beane

Meh,  don't you know the "Beane is a wizard" movement is dead?   When it comes to UFA Beane is a total rando with an objectively terrible decision making track record.   When it comes to signing free agents save the wax.......just show us the baby Beane. 😉

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Per my usual source, word for word from them - "The Bills are HEAVILY invested in DHop. It's already beyond a call being made. Work is being done."

Teams became aware that Hopkins would be released several days ago. Around that same time the Bills conducted an imaging review of Tre White's knee to make sure they would be comfortable tying themselves to his future in the event of a necessary restructure. White has performed very well at OTAs and the team is more confident than ever about his future.

That's all I have.

If HAPPY DAYS says it you can take it to the bank. Thank you my good fellow!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Per my usual source, word for word from them - "The Bills are HEAVILY invested in DHop. It's already beyond a call being made. Work is being done."

That's all I have.

this is fantastic news!!!! You / your source have a proven record of being right, and very recently!! Appreciate you sharing!

I wish we would extend DaQuan as well to free up more $

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Signing D-Hop, unless were paying him something crazy, isn’t “mortgaging the future”… at least not while Josh Allen is here. 

What we will need to do is hit at a better rate on our impact draft picks moving forward.   The money to backfill if we don’t won’t likely be as available. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

AJ Brown was a missing piece for the Eagles last season.    They narrowly lost the SB but that acquisition changed them from a wild-card-round-losing type of team to a #1 seed SB team.

The year before OBJ rounded into form about 13 months post ACL surgery and was great in the playoffs and the disappointing regular season Rams won a SB where he was trending to be the SB MVP before tearing his ACL.

"40 years" is just way, way too far to go back and use as a gauge.     For about half of the past 40 years who your RB was actually mattered........which is almost an absurd notion today.  There are a lot of things that were a certain way for much of that period that are largely irrelevant to how the game is played now.  

Yes the game is vastly different...I would make the case that the NFL today resembles college football about 15 years ago.  

anyway, I don't buy OBJ as any missing piece to that rams championship.  The piece they were missing was stafford.  They had the defense and the running game of a championship team and upgraded at qb.

AJ Brown does not have  championship.  He is no different than Randy Moss, Owens etc.  They did not get over the hump and win a championship because of them. 

The biggest change in the eagles last year was hurts terrific play, their outstanding offensive and a defensive line about 8 deep that was all over the quarterback.  

I would rather the bills have an excellent defense and an excellent running game than another superstar wr on the decline.  Give Allen a real running game and an excellent defense and he will take care of the rest. 

I just think chasing aging expensive wr is the wrong approach.  They have a great #1 and what looks to be a good cast around him on offense.  If the running game improves allen will make one of the other wr into above average players. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Capco said:

I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think he's at least in the ballpark.  As I understand it, the concept of dead money is simply that every dollar paid to a player has to be allocated against the salary cap eventually, one way or another, even if that player is no longer on the roster.  

For example, a deal can be structured so that a player gets paid $10 million in real, actual dollars in Year 1, but his Year 1 cap hit is only $5 million.  If that player gets cut after Year 1, the team will have $5 million in dead money.  That is because the player was already paid $10 million, but only $5 million has been counted against the cap so far.  The other $5 million has to be accounted for, and so the team will carry a $5 million dead cap hit in Year 2.  The player doesn't actually have to receive any real, actual dollars from the team in Year 2 for there to be dead money counted against Year 2's salary cap.  

Yeah, that's right. Particularly with already paid bonuses, (signing bonuses, roster bonuses and any other kind that they guy already received for future performance) must be taken away from the team's cap.

There's no way to pay a guy a bonus for future performance, have it not count against that year's cap, and then when he's cut have it not count against the cap in any year. Can't happen. With the exception of money the team's sue to get back if a guy retires or something and the team feels they've been deceived about the player's commitment and intent to finish up the contract.) Think Vontae Davis requiring at halftime and voluntarily coming to Beane and returning the unused part of his signing bonus voluntarily. But other than that, if you already gave the player the bonus, it MUST be accounted for on the cap in the next year or the next two years depending when it all goes down.

However, dead money also includes one other kind of money for guys who are cut rather than traded. If the team guaranteed future years of salary and then cuts rather than trades them, that same team is still on the hook for the guaranteed future salary, even if the guy isn't on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.