Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

9 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

And even if he DOES care about the money, he's getting 22 mil not to play for Arizona, so he can afford to play somewhere cheap.

I want to go on the record as also being willing to not play for the Cardinals for $22 Mil. You read it here first. 

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Going from Arizona to Buffalo for Mexican food?

Yikes 

Mighty Taco, baby! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

My personal opinion after watching football for 40 years, Wide Receivers are never the missing piece and do not put teams over the top in winning championships.  All the wr trades and big signings through the years and very few have resulted in championships.  

High end wr who were released traded and never won a championship

Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chris Carter, Joey Galloway, Antonio Brown, Brandon Marshall, andre rison, Roy Williams, etc. etc.

Its usually the guys in the trenches who make the biggest differences and the WR are usually home grown on the championship teams.  I would be really careful about giving money to an older wr who is expecting to come in and automatically win just because.  Teams with those types of guys always seemingly get beat in the playoffs.  

Outside of Quarterback, it's hard to point to any single position and say definitively that it was THE missing piece in the championship.

Obviously Matthew Stafford was the biggest move for the Super Bowl Rams two years ago.  But it could certainly be argued that Odell Beckham and Von Miller helped give them the final push in the last quarter of the season.  

From your short list of receivers above, I would point out that adding Randy Moss almost helped the Patriots complete an undefeated 19-0 season.  You can't really blame him for the team falling short in the Super Bowl.  Adding Terrell Owens in free agency helped the Andy Reid-led Eagles finally get over the NFC Championship hump.  And many believe that if he was healthy in that Super Bowl, Philly might have ended up winning.  

It could also be argued that drafting Reggie Wayne was ultimately the missing piece that pushed the Colts to the next level.  Even if it didn't result in an immediate ring.  Same argument could be made for Jamar Chase and the current Bengals.

The point is... adding DeAndre Hopkins to an offense that already has Stefon Diggs is borderline unstoppable.  He makes this team better, gives them a better chance of getting past the Chiefs/Bengals and ultimately winning the Super Bowl.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

My personal opinion after watching football for 40 years, Wide Receivers are never the missing piece and do not put teams over the top in winning championships.  All the wr trades and big signings through the years and very few have resulted in championships.  

High end wr who were released traded and never won a championship

Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chris Carter, Joey Galloway, Antonio Brown, Brandon Marshall, andre rison, Roy Williams, etc. etc.

Its usually the guys in the trenches who make the biggest differences and the WR are usually home grown on the championship teams.  I would be really careful about giving money to an older wr who is expecting to come in and automatically win just because.  Teams with those types of guys always seemingly get beat in the playoffs.  

I don’t disagree, but it’s about who’s available. If you know of any linemen that are available right now and would make a bigger impact than Hopkins then I’m all ears.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, gobills404 said:

I don’t disagree, but it’s about who’s available. If you know of any linemen that are available right now and would make a bigger impact than Hopkins then I’m all ears.

this isn't the time of year to make those signings obviously.  

My point is that you cant put the organization in a bad position going forward to fit a large salary for a wr who looks to be on the decline and has had some issues.  Also these types of guys always think they are coming is as hero's and just expect to win...when it doesn't happen they are not good locker room guys.

on the flip side of that, he is the type of wr buffalo does not have, he is big and makes catches in difficult positions at odd angles and in traffic.  

I just personally think making adjustments to contracts to squeeze in 15+ million for a wr at his age is not a smart move.  It is a win now at all costs move however and if they feel they only have 1 or 2 more seasons with this group before they have to make some sort of major changes to the roster or staff I could sort of understand.

I think he ends up in baltimore and I kind of want that to happen so I can watch the ravens meltdown late in the year with a bunch of guys who seem only motivated by money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

this isn't the time of year to make those signings obviously.  

My point is that you cant put the organization in a bad position going forward to fit a large salary for a wr who looks to be on the decline and has had some issues.  Also these types of guys always think they are coming is as hero's and just expect to win...when it doesn't happen they are not good locker room guys.

on the flip side of that, he is the type of wr buffalo does not have, he is big and makes catches in difficult positions at odd angles and in traffic.  

I just personally think making adjustments to contracts to squeeze in 15+ million for a wr at his age is not a smart move.  It is a win now at all costs move however and if they feel they only have 1 or 2 more seasons with this group before they have to make some sort of major changes to the roster or staff I could sort of understand.

I think he ends up in baltimore and I kind of want that to happen so I can watch the ravens meltdown late in the year with a bunch of guys who seem only motivated by money.

I have some bad news for you then

every single player on the Bills is only motivated by money

• Like (+1) 1

My son just called casa azul, they said DeAndre Hopkins is not there. But the girl that answered the phone also wasn’t sure who that is soooo 😂

Edited by 0017
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I have some bad news for you then

every single player on the Bills is only motivated by money

I would say that claiming they are ONLY motivated by money is a bit of an overstatement. Sure, money matters. Matters to everyone no matter what their job is, right? But some guys do have other things that motivate them.  Some do want to win. Some want to play with guys they know.  And yes, some are just hired mercs looking for a payday. 

Everything that would factor into you taking a new job factors in for them too. What's the pay? What's the company like? Where is it? What's the atmosphere?  Believe me, if a guy would make a million or so less playing here or for Philly, KC or another top team over making more playing for a crud franchise...that extra million or so doesn't carry much weight for some.

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

I would say that claiming they are ONLY motivated by money is a bit of an overstatement. Sure, money matters. Matters to everyone no matter what their job is, right? But some guys do have other things that motivate them.  Some do want to win. Some want to play with guys they know.  And yes, some are just hired mercs looking for a payday. 

Everything that would factor into you taking a new job factors in for them too. What's the pay? What's the company like? Where is it? What's the atmosphere?  Believe me, if a guy would make a million or so less playing here or for Philly, KC or another top team over making more playing for a crud franchise...that extra million or so doesn't carry much weight for some.

I think they all want to win and they all want to play w guys they like but to a man every single NFL athlete cares predominantly about how much they earn, way above all else. And I think that's largely in their best interest because that's how their employer views them

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.