Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

27 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Glad Beane doesn't see it your way.

We needed improved slot/middle of field targets, and better IOL play.  Check and check, by how Beane attacked FA and draft.

An aging Dhop isn't the answer, unless Diggs goes down.  

We have 1 all-pro WR, a lot of other weapons: Davis, Knox, Kincaid, Shakir, Harty, Cook/Harris, and just 1 football to go around.  Beane built this right, the NFL salary cap isn't designed to pay 2 all-pro caliber players at WR...some teams struggle to pay 1.

Way too many ppl hung up on what Cincy has, this is a child like envy behavior.  Cincy soon won't have that luxury when those rookie deals expire.

Davis is a weapon for a couple games a year, the rest of the games he’s  a ghost.  All the excuses for him are hilarious. He was handed the job and didn’t consistently get it done. He hasn’t done anything to prove we can rely on him on a week to week basis. He works hard, so does everyone else. He’s a nice guy, there are a lot of them around.  He’s had some big games here and there, but that’s it. 

Edited by BananaB

3 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I am hearing that because they cut him now, they eat a cap hit of 22m. Apparently if they cut him after 01-Jun, they would not have. So, if that is true, why wouldn't they wait a week to cut him?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deandre-hopkins-released-by-cardinals-why-team-couldnt-find-a-trade-partner-and-why-all-pro-wr-was-cut-now/

Why didn't the Cardinals designate the Hopkins release as a post-June 1 designation? Per CBS Sports' former agent Joel Corry, Arizona couldn't have used that designations on Hopkins even if they had wanted to. Teams can use only two of them per year, and Arizona had already used theirs on J.J. Watt and Rodney Hudson. If the Cardinals could have used their post-June 1 release, they would have spread out that dead cap over the next two years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Don't rule out the Jets. They are also in win now mode and having Rodgers as the QB makes them a decent option.

Rodgers wasn't one of the 5 Qbs he said he'd like to play with.  Now that maybe changed since Rodgers became a Jet, but then again might well go down to players he wants as teammates.  Maybe there already are plans in motion as we speculate.  

49 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

and with that overly simplistic mindset, Beane should have spent all this "potential dhop $" on improving RT, LG, and RG in FA.  

instead he upgraded our guards, and found supporting options.  This is a better team already, on paper, than LY.  It's not supporting Gabe vs Josh, it's understanding this isn't the last year of the NFL and Beane is wisely considering future salary cap impications/roster build.

You like your people, I like mine. Your argument is weak, but I don't expect much from you. The choice is between 2 players, I like one and you like the other. Arguing with me about why your opinion is correct when it's based on a disagreement is a waste of time. As another poster said, let's hang that "Managed the salary cap efficiently 2019-2023" in the rafters if that's what you're after. Signing Hopkins to a deal that gives him a reasonable signing bonus this year while restructuring Dion and setting a lot of his base salary to be unlikely to be earned bonuses that don't count against the cap is a very reasonable way to structure a 13-16M/yr contract and should not preclude us from being in good cap position in the future. 

58 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

This decision should rest on one thing and one thing only: we have been waiting for a QB like Josh since Jim Kelly - whose career are you more concerned with supporting, Josh or Gabe? Dhop helps Josh now more than Gabe. Gabe isn't a #1 receiver. You take Dhop in a SB window every time. 

Agree and I like Gabe Davis and hope he earns a 2nd contract here.  If D Hop would sign a 1 yr deal then both guys get to compete for who is the better weapon for Josh.  A top class competition over the season would likely pave a path for the first Josh Allen SB win.  You worry bout who you need to extend after they win.  Players will negotiate more a team they enjoy and if it also wins .....

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.