Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Exactly.  Which makes no sense at this point.  Basically relegates Davis to a glorified backup, and no chance of signing him long term (which would contradict what Beane has said).

If we're looking to spend big $$$s still, it would be better used at a position of weakness, ie: possibly RT, improving pass rush

Are there any potential post-June 1st cuts at RT or pass rusher that makes it imperative that we hold onto whatever remaining cash we have?  I definitely agree with your overall point.  You only sign Hopkins if you are okay putting Davis on the bench.

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

People keep saying WR3....what does that mean to you specifically?

Because Davis isn't playing the slot, which means if we have our top 3 on the field that puts either Diggs or Dhop in the slot.   Which to me, is a waste of resources.  That's where Kincaid and Shakir will split reps.

So basically Wr3 means backup/limited snaps, is that what you mean?

There's a locked on podcast by Joe Marino where he talks about Davis and WR3 a fair bit. Of course, maybe he's wrong in his assessment. I take it the position is largely the long ball routes Davis does well with minus the short and mid-range routes that WR2 also incorporates. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The teams that can most afford to pay him are not really in their Super Bowl window. The one wild card I could see is the Lions maybe.

Exactly. I don't think teams in the SB window are the ones that are going to offer the most money. There are plenty of times optimistic or desperate teams overpay for a star FA. 

Teams like the Bears or Jags who want to show they're giving their young QB help, or the Lions, as you mentioned, wouldn't surprise me. Bills & Chiefs are 2 of the 3 teams with the least cap space, so I don't expect them to sign him. Either way, I'd think the Ravens or even Eagles would have a better shot than Buffalo (even if it'd be kind of a luxury pickup). I'm sure the Eagles would like him next to AJ Brown & Devonta Smith, even if it's not "necessary."

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

There's a locked on podcast by Joe Marino where he talks about Davis and WR3 a fair bit. Of course, maybe he's wrong in his assessment. I take it the position is largely the long ball routes Davis does well with minus the short and mid-range routes that WR2 also incorporates. 

So Davis goes back to being a rotational player, at best?  That essentially goes against everything Beane has said and other players, about Davis.  

I'd be shocked if this happens

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

So Davis goes back to being a rotational player, at best?  That essentially goes against everything Beane has said and other players, about Davis.  

If Beane is playing it straight with his rhetoric, I think he overvalues Davis. He should definitely go get Hopkins if he can do it.

Edited by Dr. Who

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Davis was given a chance to be a #2 last year and did not succeed. He is a rotational player.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

People keep saying WR3....what does that mean to you specifically?

Davis would become what the Bills call WR4. Right now that is supposed to be Harty's role but Davis has been more consistent than Harty. WR4 in the Bills offense is the primary backup/rotational outside WR who also plays some in the slot. Davis was excellent in that role in 2020 and 2021. He is at his best when defenses aren't paying close attention to him because they have too many other weapons to worry about. He had a number of deep catches on blown coverages in 2020 and it's easier to make some of the contested catches he made that year when he's matched up against the 3rd CB on the opponent's depth chart.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Davis was given a chance to be a #2 last year and did not succeed. He is a rotational player.

Glad Beane doesn't see it your way.

We needed improved slot/middle of field targets, and better IOL play.  Check and check, by how Beane attacked FA and draft.

An aging Dhop isn't the answer, unless Diggs goes down.  

We have 1 all-pro WR, a lot of other weapons: Davis, Knox, Kincaid, Shakir, Harty, Cook/Harris, and just 1 football to go around.  Beane built this right, the NFL salary cap isn't designed to pay 2 all-pro caliber players at WR...some teams struggle to pay 1.

Way too many ppl hung up on what Cincy has, this is a child like envy behavior.  Cincy soon won't have that luxury when those rookie deals expire.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.