Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

On 5/26/2023 at 11:12 PM, Buffalo716 said:

We were 17 years without the playoffs before McDermott

the ranking is asinine… he’s not a bottom feeder 

What he did with the bills organization is a miracle worker

The fact that the Bills were horrible for a generation is not evidence that McDermott is a top coach.  What McDermott’s done the past three seasons—with Josh Allen at his peak—is the opposite of “miracle work.”

• Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't clickbait. He admits that after hearing the arguments he might put McDermott ahead of Staley. For the rest of them he says he is ranking them based on what they did with the roster they had. He thinks most coaches would have more than just one AFCCG appearance and no Super Bowl appearance to their name with 5 years of Josh Allen. I don't think that is an out of line statement. To me it seems obviously true.

1. We lost to a "higher ranked" coach and QB, in 2 of those playoff seasons.  

2. Cincy loss, this team was outcoached but more so OUTPLAYED.  This was a complete failure top to bottom.  Excuses aside, just a poor showing all around

I'm not advocating McDermott ahead of Reid or Taylor, but 22 and the reasoning above to defend that is just dumb/click bait.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, mannc said:

Did you listen to the pod?

I will today if I get a chance. I am very familiar with Ross though and he has fairly regular appearances on WGR. Plus Happy Days did a fine job explaining what was said. This sounds like typical Ross, which is thought provoking but I find myself fairly regularly not agreeing with his takes. His points that take away from McD are fine in a vacuum, but NOT fine relative to many of the other coaches listed ahead of him.

But seriously Dabol?? ( took a better roster than the 2017 Bills and did the same thing McD did with less) McDaniel?? (underachieved and mismanaged a life threatening injury to his starting QB)... Lots of the names ahead of McD are clown level.

Ok I've already spent way too much time on this topic. :)

If anyone listens to Locked On Bills, Joe Marino had Ross on, he explained his position.   I understand some of his reasoning but some of his "facts" don't add up to me.  He gives credit to Kevin Stefanski for making the playoffs and winning a playoff game with a lesser roster.   Most of the reason for the low ranking was 1) lots of good coaches in the NFL, he considers McDermott a good coach, 2)  playoff failures is the big driver to him, he made the point that McDermott has one of the best 3 QB's in the AFC and the Chiefs are in the AFCCG/SB routinely, Bengals in the AFCCG last two years and one SB and the Bills have one AFCCG appearance, no SB's to speak of.  I can listen to that to a degree, I think the 13 seconds debacle and lack of adjustments for field condisions vs Cinci deserves a lot of criticism.  However, I also think the overall body of work shows he should be ranked much higher, but it is clear what needs to happen for him to be considered a great coach.  He challenged Bills fans to consider if McDermott is a problem and most of us probably have some blinders on. 

Some of his weaker arguments was the "Bills lost to the Jets"  that cannot happen.  This is nonsense, all teams lose games in the regular season and against teams they should beat.  He gives Daboll a 8 ranking for a 9-8 record, he like McDaniels and he was 9-8.  McDermott took a crap team to a 9-7 record with Tyrod and made the playoffs....he did say that is the "best argument for McDermott", but he admitted recency bias is strong with his approach.  He thinks the coach in Atlanta would have won more in Buffalo and McDermott would not have gone 7-10 with Atlanta's roster, this is a joke.

In conclusion, he made some good points and some in my opinion awful points.  I believe McDermott is strong in his position, the seat is not warm and he has done a great job of building this team, they need to take the next steps.  I think McDermott has evolved a tremendous amount since taking the job, he was so conservative early on, and now one of the more aggressive coaches in terms of down and distance, going for it etc.  I believe he is going to make the D more aggressive now also.  I am all in with McDermott even though I know not everyone feels that way.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Cincy loss, this team was outcoached but more so OUTPLAYED.  This was a complete failure top to bottom.  Excuses aside, just a poor showing all around

The level of play can also be reflective of the coaching. Nobody on the team looked prepared for anything Cincy did on either side of the ball. If the team is completely unprepared how is that not on the coaches? Ross talks about this game on the podcast. He says Burrow was getting the ball out in 2 seconds while Allen was patting the ball forever and he attributes this to coaching. I don't need to make excuses. The Bengals came in with a banged up OL and designed a game plan around it. They designed a game plan to account for the snow. What was our game plan on either side of the ball? I couldn't tell you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The level of play can also be reflective of the coaching. Nobody on the team looked prepared for anything Cincy did on either side of the ball. If the team is completely unprepared how is that not on the coaches? Ross talks about this game on the podcast. He says Burrow was getting the ball out in 2 seconds while Allen was patting the ball forever and he attributes this to coaching. I don't need to make excuses. The Bengals came in with a banged up OL and designed a game plan around it. They designed a game plan to account for the snow. What was our game plan on either side of the ball? I couldn't tell you.

Hey man I'm in agreement on Cincy game. 

I also think Josh missed some easy passes/he typically connects on, early in that game.

Defense just looked like garbage.  Yes injuries on Cincy OL and our DL/secondary, but our scheme was awful.  Agree, this has been discussed alot.

Just don't like Ross' justification for #22, it doesn't add up to me that's all.

25 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

We lost to a "higher ranked" coach and QB, in 2 of those playoff seasons.  

Those higher ranked coaches are going to have their job for at least as long as Allen is our QB. So if McDermott can't topple them in the playoffs, isn't that one more reason to move on from him and try for somebody that can go further?

By the way I'm not saying McDermott should be fired now but I agree with Ross when he says this is a big year for him. If we lose a couple stupid regular season games and just miss the #1 seed and then get bounced in the divisional round again, you don't think that is a reason to think McDermott isn't the guy?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Those higher ranked coaches are going to have their job for at least as long as Allen is our QB. So if McDermott can't topple them in the playoffs, isn't that one more reason to move on from him and try for somebody that can go further?

By the way I'm not saying McDermott should be fired now but I agree with Ross when he says this is a big year for him. If we lose a couple stupid regular season games and just miss the #1 seed and then get bounced in the divisional round again, you don't think that is a reason to think McDermott isn't the guy?

Every team loses a stupid regular season game each year. Did Ross use that against Taylor, losing week 1 to Steelers, and costing them a high seed?

Look I'm just against ranking Coach at 22, way too low.

I'm not for replacing Coach at all.  He's proven to beat KC, on the road, he needs to make it happen in the playoffs.

Cincy, I'm less concerned matching up with their team if our secondary is healthy.  Not an excuse, but their strength became a weakness for us by seasons end.  

I have faith in Coach getting us over the hump, taking over playcalling and improvements we've made elsewhere to the roster.

IMO, McDermott is a top 10 coach during the regular season but a bottom 10 coach in the playoffs, where competition and coaching is much more intense. Sure McD shepherded us through Damar, the snowstorms etc. but :13...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.