Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I personally would have Shanny just ahead of him actually. 

Shanny is the younger, fit version of Andy Reid. That guy appears to be a legit offensive genius like Reid. He gets the absolute most out of every QB just like Reid has always done since his early days in Philly. I'd probably have Reid and Shanny as #1 and #2 respectively. I'd be tempted to put Jon Harbough #3. Tomlin is #4 or #5. Would have Belicheck in the top 5 as well I guess. I'm just not sure I like this current Belicheck enough to put him in the top 3 though. 

For me Payton is a guy I want to see fail in Denver. I think he is massively overrated. He was in N.O. for a longtime so of course he had some great years where they won 13 games and even a Super Bowl. But how in the heck do you put up four 7-9 seasons with possibly a top 10 QB of all-time in Brees? A 7-9 season with Josh Allen seems literally impossible. Like you would have to throw a game to only win 7 games with Josh Allen as the QB. To do that four times? That is not good. 

Unfortunately for McDermott, while he is solidly top 15, he has enough warts on a now long resume where one year wonder coaches like Daboll are leap frogging him. Doesn't seem fair on the surface but I understand the logic of giving a new head coach the benefit of the doubt when projecting them out.

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

In one of those seasons (last season) our team was decimated with injuries.  We didn’t have a championship caliber roster on the field when we got smacked by Cinci.   I remember watching Mahomes get destroyed in the SB after losing Eric Fisher vs us and their entire OL was backups.  Injuries matter. They mattered last season and I don’t put that on McD.  

The blame clearly falls on him for the first 2 other two seasons.  And in both of those seasons, he lost to the best QB/coach combo in the league.  Does that mean he’s not a very good coach?  

I don't blame McDermott at all for 2020. I think that would be incredibly unfair to him. The 2020 team came out of nowhere. The took a massive step up. In many years they would have been the #1 seed and clear best team in the conference. It was just unfortunate timing with history that they happened to breakout in the middle of a Chiefs dynasty. 

I submit a little more blame on McDermott for 2022 though than you do. The Bills were hit with injuries on the defensive side of the Ball. But they did not lose at home to the Bengals 28-31. They only managed 10 points on the scoreboard. I'm still not sure which unit was worse, the offense or the defense. I know McD is a defensive coach but he's also the head coach so it all falls on him ultimately. 

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Having a player die on the field didn’t help matters.  

We can talk about it now since Hamlin has fully recovered. 

I agree it didn't help but not in the way that you probably think. I think the Bills would have fared better on the road in the divisional at Cincinatti rather than hosting the Bengals. And had the game played out I think it likely would have been close but also leaned towards a Bills loss. I think they would have at least played a close game in Cincinatti in the playoffs rather than what we saw in Buffalo. 

• Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

22 is ridiculously low. But he may be out of the top 10 until he can find more postseason success. Think he has a 4-5 postseason record to date. Trending backwards in the postseason since the 2020 AFC Championship game appearance. Blew a 16-0 half time lead against the Texans. Failed to win a game with a lead and 13 seconds left. 

But you can't rank him in the bottom third of coaches when he broke the Bills playoff drought with a regressing Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman. And when he has two 13 win seasons in two of the last three seasons. 

We were 17 years without the playoffs before McDermott

the ranking is asinine… he’s not a bottom feeder 

What he did with the bills organization is a miracle worker

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Shanny is the younger, fit version of Andy Reid. That guy appears to be a legit offensive genius like Reid. He gets the absolute most out of every QB just like Reid has always done since his early days in Philly. I'd probably have Reid and Shanny as #1 and #2 respectively. I'd be tempted to put Jon Harbough #3. Tomlin is #4 or #5. Would have Belicheck in the top 5 as well I guess. I'm just not sure I like this current Belicheck enough to put him in the top 3 though. 

For me Payton is a guy I want to see fail in Denver. I think he is massively overrated. He was in N.O. for a longtime so of course he had some great years where they won 13 games and even a Super Bowl. But how in the heck do you put up four 7-9 seasons with possibly a top 10 QB of all-time in Brees? A 7-9 season with Josh Allen seems literally impossible. Like you would have to throw a game to only win 7 games with Josh Allen as the QB. To do that four times? That is not good. 

Unfortunately for McDermott, while he is solidly top 15, he has enough warts on a now long resume where one year wonder coaches like Daboll are leap frogging him. Doesn't seem fair on the surface but I understand the logic of giving a new head coach the benefit of the doubt when projecting them out.

I think Shanny is the best offensive mind in football. Reid is a better gameday playcaller but Shanny's creativity in scheme design is exceptional. But he has warts too as a Head Coach. He has blown two Superbowls - one as an OC and one as a HC - by getting away from the run game that got him there. If Bills fans are going to hold 13 seconds against McDermott (and it's fair) they have to apply that same standard to other coaches when evlauating them. He is also almost universally disliked by everyone other than his little clique of buddies. There is a personality thing there that has always rubbed people up the wrong way. It's why San Fran were really smart to give him essentially his own hand picked buddy as GM. The Pegulas interviewed him in 2015 when looking for a Marrone replacement and could not get him out of the room fast enough. And they are not the only ones around the league to feel that way about him. Both Mike Pettine and Dan Quinn found him a difficult coordinator to work with. While he produced results he was not an easy employee. Similarly he has been accused of giving up on seasons when things haven't gone well through Jimmy's million injuries and of sulking. He is a top 5 Xs and Os coach, for sure. Coaching is about more than Xs and Os. That knocks him down a bit for me. But I do still think he is a top 10 HC. 

The top 3 for me is Belichick, Harbaugh and Reid. I'd have them in that order. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ross Tucker was on Locked on Bills today defending his ranking. Skip to 4:45.

He talks like a meat head but you know what he makes some very good points. His overall point is that if Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are the 3 best QBs in the world, Allen shouldn't be lagging so far behind Mahomes and Burrow in their playoff success. He attributes that difference to coaching. He makes the argument that if you traded McDaniel for McDermott in the wildcard game this year, no way the Bills squeak by with a 3 point win. He says in the divisional game Burrow knew exactly where to go with the ball in 2 seconds while Allen had no clue and he attributes this to coaching as well.

It's a good listen. I highly recommend it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He talks like a meat head but you know what he makes some very good points. His overall point is that if Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are the 3 best QBs in the world, Allen shouldn't be lagging so far behind Mahomes and Burrow in their playoff success. He attributes that difference to coaching. He makes the argument that if you traded McDaniel for McDermott in the wildcard game this year, no way the Bills squeak by with a 3 point win. He says in the divisional game Burrow knew exactly where to go with the ball in 2 seconds while Allen had no clue and he attributes this to coaching as well.

Yep. Lost a lot of respect for Ross, but McDermott DOES suck in playoff games. 😡🤷‍♂️

Sustained success is the hardest thing to accomplish and I would argue that it’s even more difficult that winning a Super Bowl. 5/6 making the playoffs alone is reason to be higher on the list. In a league where coaches wash out every few years, McDermott has become a model of consistency. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That’s a fair point but there’s coaches above him who in can’t win period. Failing to mention he’s the one who took the chance on allen, developed hi and change his identity cause of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

There is no way that even Ross Tucker actually believes that there are 21 guys better than McD. McDaniel? O'Connell? LaFleur?, Dabol? Rivera? Staley???? LMAO. Just no way. Pure 100% unadulterated click bait (and its working).

11 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

There is no way that even Ross Tucker actually believes that there are 21 guys better than McD. McDaniel? O'Connell? LaFleur?, Dabol? Rivera? Staley???? LMAO. Just no way. Pure 100% unadulterated click bait (and its working).

It isn't clickbait. He admits that after hearing the arguments he might put McDermott ahead of Staley. For the rest of them he says he is ranking them based on what they did with the roster they had. He thinks most coaches would have more than just one AFCCG appearance and no Super Bowl appearance to their name with 5 years of Josh Allen. I don't think that is an out of line statement. To me it seems obviously true.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. Lost a lot of respect for Ross, but McDermott DOES suck in playoff games. 😡🤷‍♂️

Listen to the whole podcast and then decide if you’ve lost respect for Tucker, who is a big Bills fan BTW. You could quibble about whether he should have had McDermott a little higher, but Tucker defends his McDermott ranking very well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't clickbait. He admits that after hearing the arguments he might put McDermott ahead of Staley. For the rest of them he says he is ranking them based on what they did with the roster they had. He thinks most coaches would have more than just one AFCCG appearance and no Super Bowl appearance to their name with 5 years of Josh Allen. I don't think that is an out of line statement. To me it seems obviously true.

That's fine. I just find it to be BS, and therefore clickbait. You do you, man... I respect it. He just "Found a way" to make his current shtick work, and set the bar there. I still don't think he actually believes he's that low. That's crazy. McD has been just as big a part in developing the players on the team as with coaching them. A part of why they are so good is credited to him. There is no one in the world that can tell me those coaches I listed are better than McD. Its just stupid on an extreme level. McD is a top 10 head coach in the NFL. Top 15 at worst. When you can take the dog crap we had in 2017 and bring it to a 9-7 record, then also not disappoint consistently year after year with 11 to 13 wins on a better roster, that's a very good coach. a top 10 coach. Tucker got exactly what he wants to get out of this.

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

That's fine. I just find it to be BS, and therefore clickbait. You do you, man... I respect it. He just "Found a way" to make his current shtick work, and set the bar there. I still don't think he actually believes he's that low. That's crazy. McD has been just as big a part in developing the players on the team as with coaching them. A part of why they are so good is credited to him. There is no one in the world that can tell me those coaches I listed are better than McD. Its just stupid on an extreme level. McD is a top 10 head coach in the NFL. Top 15 at worst. When you can take the dog crap we had in 2017 and bring it to a 9-7 record, then also not disappoint consistently year after year with 11 to 13 wins on a better roster, that's a very good coach. a top 10 coach. Tucker got exactly what he wants to get out of this.

Did you listen to the pod?

3 hours ago, Johnnyp566 said:

Sustained success is the hardest thing to accomplish and I would argue that it’s even more difficult that winning a Super Bowl. 5/6 making the playoffs alone is reason to be higher on the list. In a league where coaches wash out every few years, McDermott has become a model of consistency. 

A lot easier to do when you have an elite QB.  

His point is valid.  Would McDermott still be HC if we didn't have Allen?  Maybe, he did make the playoffs with Tyrod.  Would we think he's a great coach?   What would McDermott look like with Washington's QB and talent level?  

Are we ok with what he's done so far with 5 years of Josh Allen?

I also think it's becoming tougher and tougher to gauge Defensive HC's.  I'll admit that clouds my judgment a bit. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.