Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Are McCarthy and McDermott really so dissimilar to you

Like where do you have LaFleur, Vrabel, Shanahan etc, you think McDermott is so clearly better than these guys

I personally would have Shanny just ahead of him actually. They to me are the two best non-titled coaches. I have McDermott ahead of Vrabel (although if someone wants to argue the other way I think they have a legit argument at least). He is in the group of guys I have clustered together. LaFleur I have lower. I don't think he is that good of a coach. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Sorry.  This is recency bias run amok.  I don't love McDermott, but there is no way he's in the bottom third of coaches in the league.  Unfortunately, we have Reid/Mahomes and Burrow in our way, which is quite the roadblock.  Yes, a great coach might find a way to get over that hump, but that doesn't mean McDermott is a "bad" coach, which is how Tucker has him ranked.

Head coaches don’t last long in the nfl without winning championships.  There is only recenct events to consider

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I personally would have Shanny just ahead of him actually. They to me are the two best non-titled coaches. I have McDermott ahead of Vrabel (although if someone wants to argue the other way I think they have a legit argument at least). He is in the group of guys I have clustered together. LaFleur I have lower. I don't think he is that good of a coach. 

What makes you think he is better than McDaniel or Saleh.  To me all three seem to be similarly competent 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Shanahan has to be significantly higher than McDermott. He's done more with much less. 

• Agree 1

The way Allen and the offense were rolling in '21 when 13 seconds happened-- that was the Bills big shot at the SB. Step back last year (yes, there were extenuating circumstances), and hopes with this current coaching staff are waning. We have seen the stats re: coaches and QB's getting to the Super Bowl--- and by that analysis, McDermott/Allen are at the end of their rope.

I really think changes at the top are necessary to recharge this team-- if they continue to slip or perform at a similar level this year.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Good comparison.  I agree.  

I think it goes to my point that many have said in this thread. Mcdermott is being judged on not winning a Super Bowl with an elite QB.  He’s had an elite QB for 3 seasons.  

In one of those seasons (last season) our team was decimated with injuries.  We didn’t have a championship caliber roster on the field when we got smacked by Cinci.   I remember watching Mahomes get destroyed in the SB after losing Eric Fisher vs us and their entire OL was backups.  Injuries matter. They mattered last season and I don’t put that on McD.  

The blame clearly falls on him for the first 2 other two seasons.  And in both of those seasons, he lost to the best QB/coach combo in the league.  Does that mean he’s not a very good coach?  

🤷🏻‍♂️ I think it’s unfair to judge him on not winning with an elite QB (in 3 whole seasons) when his only real opportunities, he’s been beaten by the best QB and by the injury bug.  

I hear you. Lots of validity in your post. 

However, I feel like McD has been out coached by a large margin in many recent playoff games. In fact, he got severely out coached in the home playoff win vs Miami. 

Throughout his whole Bills tenure the Bills have fallen mostly short in their playoff bid to the road to the Super Bowl.

I guess everyone's threshold to judgement differs. He's had years to right the ship only to fall flat. 

I can't help but think that the Bills should have a least made a Super Bowl appearence by now. Perhaps, I'm wrong here. The lack of succeeding has to be displaced on the coaching staff which largely includes McD. Perhaps, I'm wrong here...

Edited by newcam2012

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McD will not win us a Super Bowl.  I'll be happy to be wrong, but I don't think I am.  

Agree. It's hard for me to have a high level of confidence in McD after several years of colossal failure. 

The best chance will be if Allen plays Superman and wins despite the coaching staff. Tough to do against top notch teams.

For me, it's hard to see the Bills coaching staff as being an assest and or better than whoever the opposition coaching staff will be. 

56 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I love Josh, but I think Burrow, and certainly Mahomes are better.

Josh definetly takes a backseat to Burrow after last year's playoff game. There really isn't any other way to see it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Shanahan has to be significantly higher than McDermott. He's done more with much less. 

Shanahan with Allen as his QB would be a slam dunk for a Lombardi Trophy. 

Shanahan is by far a better coach than McD. Of course, it's subjective but I doubt many pundits would disagree. 

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dopey,

I am mocking the extreme overdramatic responses from people talking about our roster, this specifically about offense.

This is the common theme:

- Dorsey is terrible

- Offensive line is terrible

- WR's are terrible except Diggs

It would seem we are a bottom offense with those statements.

Broken sarcasm meter. Sorry.

23 minutes ago, par73 said:

The way Allen and the offense were rolling in '21 when 13 seconds happened-- that was the Bills big shot at the SB. Step back last year (yes, there were extenuating circumstances), and hopes with this current coaching staff are waning. We have seen the stats re: coaches and QB's getting to the Super Bowl--- and by that analysis, McDermott/Allen are at the end of their rope.

I really think changes at the top are necessary to recharge this team-- if they continue to slip or perform at a similar level this year.

I think that's why this year should tell us a lot about the direction of the team and it's coaching staff. 

McD taking over the D puts him front and center for praise or criticism. That's a good thing. 

We will see if Miami and NYJ have closed the gap or surpassed the Bills. Certainly, the favorite Bills team is being hotly pursued. 

Lots of question marks on OC Dorsey. Sadly, a team making a Super Bowl run shouldn't have OC concerns. Not the optimal situation the Bills management put themselves in. 

This season is certainly a pivotal one for the Bills. Another failed playoff loss or early will certainly open up the door for serious discussion. 

Sometimes change is painful but meaningful. Sometimes change is premature with poor results. No easy answer...

34 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I hear you. Lots of validity in your post. 

However, I feel like McD has been out coached by a large margin in many recent playoff games. In fact, he got severely out coached in the home playoff win vs Miami. 

Throughout his whole Bills tenure the Bills have fallen mostly short in their playoff bid to the road to the Super Bowl.

I guess everyone's threshold to judgement differs. He's had years to right the ship only to fall flat. 

I can't help but think that the Bills should have a least made a Super Bowl appearence by now. Perhaps, I'm wrong here. The lack of succeeding has to be displaced on the coaching staff which largely includes McD. Perhaps, I'm wrong here...

He fell flat 2 years.  Many coaches do that. 

I don’t think he fell flat last year.  We had a rookie OC.  His biggest mistake, imo, was retaining Frazier.  We lost 3 games by a total of 8 points combined. We had little to no chance vs Cinci with our lineup.  Having a player die on the field didn’t help matters.  

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He fell flat 2 years.  Many coaches do that. 

I don’t think he fell flat last year.  We had a rookie OC.  His biggest mistake, imo, was retaining Frazier.  We lost 3 games by a total of 8 points combined. We had little to no chance vs Cinci with our lineup.  Having a player die on the field didn’t help matters.  

Can't wait to see the McD defense. 

Just find it a little disingenuous that you talk about having a rookie OC and a DC that was a big mistake.

Yet, the coach who obviously gives his blessings to the OC and DC is standing tall with little blemishes. 

On 5/25/2023 at 9:25 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Losing winnable games in regular season that negatively impact playoff seeding and stinking up the joint once we get there have Sean ranked 10 from the bottom.

Frankly, that’s fair. Imo.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

22. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

Seasons With Team: 6 | Head Coaching Record: 62-35

Analysis: He’s done a lot of winning and deserves credit for that but the combination of losing games against far inferior teams in the regular season, which hurts playoff seeding, and then getting outcoached in the postseason is troubling. It seems like it’s going to get harder, not easier, for this group of Bills to break through with a Super Bowl berth.

McDermott at 22 is crap.  What winnable game did he lose to screw up playoff seeding?

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Jags and Steelers in 21. Jets in 22. But that shouldn't drop a guy to #22 with his track record.

I've been extremely harsh on McD. I really don't think he will lead this team to the Super Bowl. Hopefully, I'm wrong. 

The 22 ranking is pretty absurd. No way does he belong in the bottom tier category. 

22 is ridiculously low. But he may be out of the top 10 until he can find more postseason success. Think he has a 4-5 postseason record to date. Trending backwards in the postseason since the 2020 AFC Championship game appearance. Blew a 16-0 half time lead against the Texans. Failed to win a game with a lead and 13 seconds left. 

But you can't rank him in the bottom third of coaches when he broke the Bills playoff drought with a regressing Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman. And when he has two 13 win seasons in two of the last three seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.