Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As I said above - he likes big, he likes high RAS, he likes freakish physical attributes. And he particularly likes Florida Gators :D 

Good catch on the Gators trend.  I hadn't noticed that.  

You a Gators fan?  

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Good catch on the Gators trend.  I hadn't noticed that.  

You a Gators fan?  

No I have no college rooting interest at all. I'm normally accused of being a Clemson fan, I'm not that either. 

By the way there is a piece on "The Draft Scout" which I subscribe to for another few months (it was set up by Matt Miller when he first left BR but since ESPN tied him in to an exclusive deal he no longer contributes to it) today that ranks the HCs and has Sean McDermott SECOND to Andy Reid. 

For the sake of clarity, that is as ridiculous as having him 22nd. I think he is somewhere between 8th and 12th. There are a gaggle of guys there I have grouped pretty closely. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 4

On 5/25/2023 at 8:59 AM, Gregg said:

I think #22 is too low. McDermott should be ranked higher but he is not really wrong with his assessment especially with the playoff failures.

agreed, he is somewhere between 5-10. he would be higher if he fired frazier 3 years ago

• Like (+1) 1

Does it really matter if McD should actually be 15th or whatever instead of 22nd?  It's stupid to be so precise in these coach rankings anyway, and it's especially stupid for Bills fans to get all up in arms about the rankings one way or another.

No, what matters is that McD will be fired within a few seasons after having wasted much of Josh Allen's prime. 

• Eyeroll 2

14 minutes ago, harryS said:

Does it really matter if McD should actually be 15th or whatever instead of 22nd?  It's stupid to be so precise in these coach rankings anyway, and it's especially stupid for Bills fans to get all up in arms about the rankings one way or another.

No, what matters is that McD will be fired within a few seasons after having wasted much of Josh Allen's prime. 

It’s a message board bro….we’re discussing our thoughts on his rankings.  It’s what this place is for. 

But your last sentence tells everyone all we need to know about you.  He will be fired because he’s wasted Joshs prime years = we aren’t winning a Super Bowl because mcdermott isn’t good enough.  You already know that he’s not winning a SB 🤣 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/25/2023 at 9:33 AM, NewEra said:

You think it’s fair that Brandon Staley, Arthur Smith, McConnell and Mcdaniel should be ranked ahead of him?  There are more on the list that we can question….. but those 4 guys have no right at the moment 

Completely agree.  Arthur Smith has done nothing with the Falcons.  Put Mike Vrabel in there as well.  Last season was a tire fire for the Titans.  And Vrabel can take a lot of responsibility for that.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry.  This is recency bias run amok.  I don't love McDermott, but there is no way he's in the bottom third of coaches in the league.  Unfortunately, we have Reid/Mahomes and Burrow in our way, which is quite the roadblock.  Yes, a great coach might find a way to get over that hump, but that doesn't mean McDermott is a "bad" coach, which is how Tucker has him ranked.

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think he's a great team builder. Very good at making steps in the right direction for a mediocre team.

Come playoff time against the big boys his flaws are clearly exposed and evident. Think Marty S as can example. 

I actually think this applies more to McDermott than Marty.  McDermott clearly didn't put the guys in position to be competitive against the Chiefs in 2020 or against the Bengals last year.  Marty didn't make Ernest Byner fumble a ball on the goal line or Marlon McCree fumble a game clinching interception against the Patriots.  Marty just seemed a magnet for terrible luck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Sorry.  This is recency bias run amok.  I don't love McDermott, but there is no way he's in the bottom third of coaches in the league.  Unfortunately, we have Reid/Mahomes and Burrow in our way, which is quite the roadblock.  Yes, a great coach might find a way to get over that hump, but that doesn't mean McDermott is a "bad" coach, which is how Tucker has him ranked.

Reid/Mahomes and Taylor/Burrow who already once took them on and beat them for a SB berth

So if Allen>Burrow then Taylor >>>McDermott

He's not a bad coach, he's middling

• Agree 1

Bills had a long streak of having Among the worst coaches in the league.  McDermott is consistently generating top 8 team results with a consensus top 3 QB.  These are the facts, and they are not in dispute.  Whether this means McDermott is a good , mediocre or bad coach is open to quite a few interpretations 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Bills had a long streak of having Among the worst coaches in the league.  McDermott is consistently generating top 8 team results with a consensus top 3 QB.  These are the facts, and they are not in dispute.  Whether this means McDermott is a good , mediocre or bad coach is open to quite a few interpretations 

I don't see how you could interpret the Allen years postseason results, which is basically how we judge HCs, as 'good'

Good would be winning or short of that at least playing in a Super Bowl

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No I have no college rooting interest at all. I'm normally accused of being a Clemson fan, I'm not that either. 

By the way there is a piece on "The Draft Scout" which I subscribe to for another few months (it was set up by Matt Miller when he first left BR but since ESPN tied him in to an exclusive deal he no longer contributes to it) today that ranks the HCs and has Sean McDermott SECOND to Andy Reid. 

For the sake of clarity, that is as ridiculous as having him 22nd. I think he is somewhere between 8th and 12th. There are a gaggle of guys there I have grouped pretty closely. 

There are 9 NFL HCs who have actually won Super Bowls, let alone played in one...how do you put him anywhere higher than 10th

I've not seen a more well targeted click bait since that d*** nosed Chiefs fan guy's antics. I didn't think Tucker rolled this way, but yep, yep he does.... Bottom third is absolutely laughable!

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

There are 9 NFL HCs who have actually won Super Bowls, let alone played in one...how do you put him anywhere higher than 10th

One of them is Mike McCarthy. But yea, fair enough.... 9th is the highest. I don't have McCarthy top 20. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

One of them is Mike McCarthy. But yea, fair enough.... 9th is the highest. I don't have McCarthy top 20. 

Are McCarthy and McDermott really so dissimilar to you

Like where do you have LaFleur, Vrabel, Shanahan etc, you think McDermott is so clearly better than these guys

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't see how you could interpret the Allen years postseason results, which is basically how we judge HCs, as 'good'

Good would be winning or short of that at least playing in a Super Bowl

Some people think making the playoffs each season makes you a good coach no matter what.  To me the team has underperformed it potential.  So I am in the “ so far he is mediocre “ camp 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Reid/Mahomes and Taylor/Burrow who already once took them on and beat them for a SB berth

So if Allen>Burrow then Taylor >>>McDermott

He's not a bad coach, he's middling

I love Josh, but I think Burrow, and certainly Mahomes are better.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.