Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I could make some arguments on some of these but this is highly subjective.   It appears you are going mostly with coaches who have been in or won the SB which is something McDermott does not have.  I don't think we have seen enough of Daboll or McDaniels to put them in the same category as McDermott.   We can list reasons but McDaniels lost the division and in the playoffs to McDermott and that is his one year.   Daboll had a nice season, but ultimately accomplished not that much.

My belief is that Daboll and McDaniels would do better with this roster than McDermott, being that they are offense-minded coaches who have done well with much less at the QB position.  

For the other coaches I've listed, I take an "all things equal" approach on top of what they've accomplished thus far.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

I think the issue for many is that the juggernaut vanishes in the playoffs.   

We play so well in the regular season, then it’s choke time against equal talent playoff teams.  

Hopefully with McD running the D that unit improves from bend and don’t break to dominant, and Dorsey is ready to rock in year 2. Otherwise we may need a new OC or HC next year. 

I like what Bean has done to put these guys in an area to succeed.  I think we will see it next Jan/Feb!

Absolutely spot on here. There is such a huge difference between the regular season and playoff time. 

The playoff losses under the Beane and McD era are painful. Just look at the faces of Diggs, Allen, etc.. It's pretty undeniable that the regime has fallen short. It was crystal clear that McD has been out coached by a wide margin in recent playoff games. For me, that's not ok nor acceptable. 

Does McD suck? No he doesn't. I'd put him somewhere near the back of the top ten. I think his time is running out if he can't get this team to advance further. He's proven to be a good leader, culture builder, and high character guy. Very good regular season coach and not so much afterwards. Ask yourself is this good enough? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

You think it’s fair that Brandon Staley, Arthur Smith, McConnell and Mcdaniel should be ranked ahead of him?  There are more on the list that we can question….. but those 4 guys have no right at the moment 

I think I would rather have Mike McDaniel as HC than McDermott tbh

• Vomit 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I won’t disagree with that. I’d prefer to have an offensive HC over a defensive HC.  And after this season, with Fangio running the D, I think he’ll probably be regarded as the better coach.  

But based on body of work, I don’t see how anyone could say mcdaniel is better.  Rookie season to rookie season, McD was better. I don’t think there’s any doubt.  Body of work is clearly being used in this list.  If it weren’t based on career accomplishments, but based on recent accomplishments BB, Tomlin and Carroll wouldn’t be on the list.

So he’s using body of work for some coaches and not for others. And by others I mean just McD.  It’s bills mafia clickbait and there’s no way anyone could say he should be 22 and believe that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

I won’t disagree with that. I’d prefer to have an offensive HC over a defensive HC.  And after this season, with Fangio running the D, I think he’ll probably be regarded as the better coach.  

But based on body of work, I don’t see how anyone could say mcdaniel is better.  Rookie season to rookie season, McD was better. I don’t think there’s any doubt.  Body of work is clearly being used in this list.  If it weren’t based on career accomplishments, but based on recent accomplishments BB, Tomlin and Carroll wouldn’t be on the list.

So he’s using body of work for some coaches and not for others. And by others I mean just McD.  It’s bills mafia clickbait and there’s no way anyone could say he should be 22 and believe that. 

I don't necessarily agree with or even particularly care about the ranking tbh but the point has to be made- very few HCs in the NFL have a QB like Allen. Reid does and he's turned that into two SB wins. Taylor has a reasonable facsimile and has made a Super Bowl and two AFCCGs in the last couple years. McDermott has prime Josh Allen and has largely floundered in the postseason, so having him in the bottom half of NFL HCs is fair if we are considering talent/output ratio

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't necessarily agree with or even particularly care about the ranking tbh but the point has to be made- very few HCs in the NFL have a QB like Allen. Reid does and he's turned that into two SB wins. Taylor has a reasonable facsimile and has made a Super Bowl and two AFCCGs in the last couple years. McDermott has prime Josh Allen and has largely floundered in the postseason, so having him in the bottom half of NFL HCs is fair if we are considering talent/output ratio

I disagree 💯 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Staley LaFleur Taylor do t have a Super Bowl.  Their QBs are excellent, so those coaches must be horrible too.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I disagree 💯 

Belichick

Reid

Shanahan

McVay

Tomlin

Carroll

Pederson

Siriani

Taylor

McCarthy

Harbaugh

Payton

Can't really put him above any of these guys and none of the rest have anything close to a Josh Allen so I think it stands

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He says that and then puts Kyle Shanahan at 6th

That's too low IMO. Shanahan has a decent case that he is the best head coach in the NFL. For my money he is. Give him Josh Allen and he would have a minimum of two Super Bowls right now.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Time will tell.  McDaniel has done better than I thought. 

But there's a long way to go from taken a 2021 9-8 team to......2022 9-8 and a playoff loss ....vs sustained 10, 13, 11, 13 win seasons.

The last time the Dolphins went to the playoffs, they were 10-6 in Adam Gase first season, shortly followed by 6-10 and 7-9 seasons.

That's my primary beef with Ross Tucker and his list. 

It's one thing for a coach to have a winning record for a year, even take the team to a WC playoff appearance. 

It's another thing for a coach to build a consistent winning team and sustain success.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Staley LaFleur Taylor do t have a Super Bowl.  Their QBs are excellent, so those coaches must be horrible too.  

Bengals at least got there. The Bills under McDermott haven't gotten close

Just now, HappyDays said:

That's too low IMO. Shanahan has a decent case that he is the best head coach in the NFL. For my money he is. Give him Josh Allen and he would have a minimum of two Super Bowls right now.

Correct on both counts

Just now, Beck Water said:

Time will tell.  McDaniel has done better than I thought. 

But there's a long way to go from taken a 2021 9-8 team to......2022 9-8 and a playoff loss ....vs sustained 10, 13, 11, 13 win seasons.

The last time the Dolphins went to the playoffs, they were 10-6 in Adam Gase first season, shortly followed by 6-10 and 7-9 seasons.

That's my primary beef with Ross Tucker and his list. 

It's one thing for a coach to have a winning record for a year, even take the team to a WC playoff appearance. 

It's another thing for a coach to build a consistent winning team and sustain success.

Yes like most best of lists it has a lot of methodology issues

But the overall thrust I have to agree with

Just now, freddyjj said:

Why because we get a draft pick for hiring him?  

Because he made Tua a legit MVP candidate

I am starting to wonder if a defensive head coach just can't get it done in the modern NFL. Even if you have an amazing OC that OC is guaranteed to be a head coach before long. IMO this is a big year for McDermott. Ben Johnson will likely be a head coach in 2024. If we once again have a disappointing playoff exit I will badly want the next young offensive minded hotshot leading the way for the back half of Allen's career. Unfortunately I don't think Pegula agrees. I think McDermott is here for the next 5 years minimum as long as we are in the playoffs each year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm fascinated as to how the #22 ranked head coach makes the playoffs in 5 out of 6 seasons, has the highest winning % in franchise history, is 4-5 in playoff games, and has built a stable winning culture to a team that has had exactly one previous stretch in their history...

still has a job?

what a freaking joke

What's arguably more fascinating is how such an allegedly good coach (by this thread and comment) in McDermott can't sniff the big game w one of if not the best quarterback in the league

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.