Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Daboll deserves to be higher than McD, the others you can debate.

It's not that we are too good for a playoff caliber coach, it's that we want a Super Bowl.  Do they Bucs win if they don't fire Dungy?

How does Daboll deserve to be higher than McD?  They had incredibly similar first seasons, and McD has shown the ability to generate tenure of success.  Daboll has shown to take a team and win close games (McD did that his first year too).  He hasn't shown the ability to be a consistent playoff participant. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

You think it’s fair that Brandon Staley, Arthur Smith, McConnell and Mcdaniel should be ranked ahead of him?  There are more on the list that we can question….. but those 4 guys have no right at the moment 

Touché. No, it’s harsh. But this 65 year fan carry’s a very long disgust with the team. Imo, Knox, Saban & Levy have been our best and the drop off after them -including Sean- is deep.

9 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

How does Daboll deserve to be higher than McD?  They had incredibly similar first seasons, and McD has shown the ability to generate tenure of success.  Daboll has shown to take a team and win close games (McD did that his first year too).  He hasn't shown the ability to be a consistent playoff participant. 

He doesn't.  I guess the theory is that Daboll "overachieved" with the Giants roster, but then, McDermott overachieved with the Bills 2017 roster. 

The Giants played the #29 SOS last year, the Bills #12.  Moreover, Daboll lost close games to the Commanders and the Vikings where coaching was arguably a factor.

There are a bunch of coaches, as others have pointed out, who it's rather inexplicable to place higher, either based on the "what have they done yet?" metric or the "don't the same criticisms applied to McDermott, apply to them -but more?" metric

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Touché. No, it’s harsh. But this 65 year fan carry’s a very long disgust with the team. Imo, Knox, Saban & Levy have been our best and the drop off after them -including Sean- is deep.

No arguments there. I just don’t see what that has to do with this list being fair. 

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No, I don't.  

I think McDermott is a middle of the pack coach as of today, where we sit, on May 25th 2023.

He did an amazing job with the Tyrod Taylor team in breaking the drought.   He's an incredible person and a top tier culture building coach.  

He's plateaued however, and - imo - has backslid a bit.

He has had multiple years of a top 10 talent team, with a top 3 QB.   He's the only coach of those 3 QB's that hasn't gotten to a Super Bowl.   As we all know, that's the rub right now.. I do hope he overcomes it, because I think he represents us so well.  However, I can't lie... when I look at that list, I truly think I'd rather have someone like McDaniel (with Fangio) over McDermott right now.  I hope McDermott changes my mind this year.  

He has a top 3 QB and has been eliminated by the other top 3 QBs in each of the 3 seasons in which our QB has been elite. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

we were decimated by injuries last season and our team wasn’t good enough in Josh’s first elite season. He flopped 13 secs, a borderline fireable offense, but I thought his track record was good enough to keep him. 

46 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Who are the 12 or more you have higher ranked?

Belichick

Payton

McVay

Shanahan

Tomlin

Reid

Pederson

Harbaugh

Carroll

Taylor

Sirianni

Vrabel is a push, in my opinion

*I'd take over Sean given the choice...

Daboll

McDaniels

For the 2 above, with this roster,  I'd favor an offensive mind.

Edited by Chicken Boo

27 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Daboll won a playoff game in his first year and salvaged Daniel Jones career. In today's NFL offensive coaches are more valuable. Other than Belichick & McD, every successful coach came from the offense side of the ball.

I'm probably more critical of McD than the average Bills fan, but to have him at 22 is laughable. I think he's closer to 10th best than 20th. 

Ross Tucker says that McD has inexplicable losses to bad teams in the regular season???!! We've lost 2 games to teams that finished the season with a losing record in the past 3 years. Reid and the Chiefs have more losses to teams with a losing record in the same time frame. 

• Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, Stanley Lombardi said:

The Buffalo Bills were NFL pushovers for nearly two decades.   

For the last half of a decade, the Bills have been a force in the NFL.

The transition began the moment Sean McDermott arrived in town.

Put a number on that.

It's hard to put a number on that.  McDermott is a good coach.  So was Marty Schottenheimer.  He built winners everywhere he went.  Just couldn't get them over the hump.  (*Byner fumble is on Byner)

• Like (+1) 1

I do worry that McDermott is like the proverbial RB that gets you 4 yards when you need 3, and 4 yards when you need 8. His baseline is clearly far better than anything we had in the drought years and he gets all the credit in the world for turning around a moribund franchise. Can he get us over the hump though? Every season that passes, the question grows more pressing.

But as others have pointed out he is clearly still ranked too low on this list even from the most cynical perspective of his tenure here.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Daboll won a playoff game in his first year and salvaged Daniel Jones career. In today's NFL offensive coaches are more valuable. Other than Belichick & McD, every successful coach came from the offense side of the ball.

McDermott won a playoff game in his first year, with no better talent and arguably worse in some regards.

That's the paradox of that list - it's obviously looking at the coach's entire career (Carroll, Harbaugh, Tomlin etc) which is fair - but then which inexplicably doesn't apply to McDermott.

It's supposed to be about what the coach has achieved, not what's NFL trendy. 

That's why IMO it's very hard to argue it's a fair or reasonable list.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No arguments there. I just don’t see what that has to do with this list being fair. 

Ok, but McD has had Pro Bowl players at 10 positions (14 if you count McCoy, Kyle,  Sanders & Edmunds) in his 6 seasons -many as multiple PBers. It’s become safe to assume at least 3 players will be enshrined in Canton when their careers end. Should a team with this much accrued talent crash and burn every January when there’s a February game still waiting for the 2 best teams? 

22 is stupid considering all the newbies, but if does seem we’re further away than we’ve been and Sean’s ultra conservative approach is understandably seen as detrimental. 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McDermott won a playoff game in his first year, with no better talent and arguably worse in some regards.

That's the paradox of that list - it's obviously looking at the coach's entire career (Carroll, Harbaugh, Tomlin etc) which is fair - but then which inexplicably doesn't apply to McDermott.

It's supposed to be about what the coach has achieved, not what's NFL trendy. 

That's why IMO it's very hard to argue it's a fair or reasonable list.

They actually lost their only playoff game in 2017, 10-3.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I can’t disagree with the logic.  Though I will give credit where it’s due, the Bills have won almost all of the games they are “supposed” to win in the regular season for McD’s career. There have definitely been some flat performances and I know exactly what games he’s thinking of that did cost us big time.   The thing that sticks out to me is the number of times he’s been directly responsible for losing big games. 

Except for Jacksonville. Which, you know, home field, 13 seconds and such.  

Edited by SectionC3

Ross obviously didn't include clapping frequency, number of post-game platitudes stated, or how to fire your DC without actually saying so into these rankings.    

If those criteria are included, McD easily moves up to 20, if not 18.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.