Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

I see this as obvious bait. Ross knows this rabid, angst ridden fan base too well. Good way to generate buzz from this nest of bees.

Is it fair to say he’s had questionable moments and needs to improve? Yes. He’s certainly not perfect. Do we need to continue to advance toward getting to and winning the Super Bowl? Absolutely!

But am I going to rate a guy who took a multi-decade, laughing stock of the NFL franchise and has them at 62-35 (64% win record) with multiple playoff appearances and is currently rated as one of the couple teams with a legit shot to win the Super Bowl and say he’s one of the bottom third coaches in the NFL? Please…

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I'm ok with it, I'd probably push it closer to top 15, so it's a little bit of a stretch for 22. The playoff blunders are pretty damn bad.

OK.  But then what do you say about the playoff blunders of, say, Pete Carroll?  Or the recent playoff records of Vrabel and Harbaugh? 

Huh?  The guy with the best winning percentage in Bills' history is a below-average head coach?  That's just dumb.  

McD's first two seasons were great in the sense that he outperformed the talent on the roster.  In 2018, when we finished 6-10, we had the lowest cap spending on active players in the NFL and arguably the worst roster.   Getting 6 wins from that squad was an impressive accomplishment.

Over the past few years, I keep seeing pundits ranking our roster anywhere from 3rd to 8th best.  That's a playoff roster but not a Super Bowl roster.   And we've been getting to the playoffs.  McD may not be over-achieving but, lately, he's getting out of this roster about what you'd expect given the talent.   In fact, while the Cinci game was a huge disappointment, getting 13 regular season wins last season with all the challenges we faced was the accomplishment of a good coach.  

Anyone who thinks he's underperforming is rating the roster he's working with much higher than I do.  

• Like (+1) 6

42 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Right.  It's clear that the list is resting on "yesterday's glories" to some extent when it places Belicheck, Tomlin, and Payton at #2,3, and 4.

But, they've done great things, so, OK.

Then to turn around and rank a bunch of coaches who haven't accomplished nearly as much as McDermott or who have NO track record, higher?

It's a joke.

It really is a joke.  

What’s even more of a joke is that some Bills fans are ok with him being behind these guys that have done nothing.  i think mcdermott is closer to 10 than to 20.  To have him 22 looks like click bait playing on bills mafias internet prowess.  He knows that one ranking will generate its fair share of clicks. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 3

I'm fascinated as to how the #22 ranked head coach makes the playoffs in 5 out of 6 seasons, has the highest winning % in franchise history, is 4-5 in playoff games, and has built a stable winning culture to a team that has had exactly one previous stretch in their history...

still has a job?

what a freaking joke

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

It seems low imo but I do feel this is a make or break year for McDermott.  Top notch human being but he has repeatedly cost us winnable games.  Terrible time outs and challenges, bad clock management and losing games we shouldn’t.   

I wish nothing more than for him to get us to the promise land but we have to seriously consider if he’s the guy if we flop out of the playoffs again.   This teams not getting any younger.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Ridiculous.  Outstanding record , completely overhauled a perennial  losing franchise. 

Every team loses to inferior opponents here and there,  this 🤡 sounds like a hater. 

The only game I blame on McD is 13 seconds. Last year was just bad luck with injuries and Damar , leaving coaches and players emotionally spent. We'll have multiple rings under McD

Meanwhile Dabol is in his top 10 . Make it make sense.. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3

Only the Chiefs have won more games the last three years.   And guess what, even they lose close games (sometimes to Sean).   He deserves criticism for 13 seconds and strategy in the snow/ice vs Cinci.  But he is not 22, I like Ross but he is way off on this.

• Like (+1) 3

So Ross tuckers opinion on this is valid how?

I feel McD is VERY good at some aspects, and just average at others. To be fair, some Superbowl teams have a very average coaches, which gives hope.

My worry when Josh was drafted was NOT that he'd be a bust, but just good, borderline very good, and you are now stuck with him. Thankfully, he has become truly elite. Well, I feel McD is very good overall, but not elite. He and his staff have been outcoached with the Xs and Os in quite a few key games. Having his men motivated, focused and all, he's been great at. He just lacks a few things in game play planning and adjusting on the fly. #22 is way too harsh.

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor @ QB in a season in which everyone thought we were tanking.   Shady and Clay were our  most targeted receivers.  Zay, Deonte Thonpson, KB, Andre Holmes.  That team had a better record than Mike Mcdaniels who had a loaded roster and a better QB. 

Mike Tolbert.

First, I want to quote this because you had me with "He made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor."  How does the 22nd best coach make the playoffs with the 22nd best quarterback?  

How does the 22nd best coach have a regular season W-L percentage that is 3rd, 7th, 2nd, 8th, 22nd, and 11th in the league in his six seasons as a head coach.   So, his very worst season as a head coach is what ranks him as a head coach?  

Brian Daboll is 8th?  Come on.  That is nothing but a prediction of the future. 

Mike Vrabel is 13th?   McDermott has a better regular season winning percentage and a better playoff winning percentage, so why exactly is Vrabel ahead of McDermott? 

Mike McDaniel is 14th?   Worse career winning percentage and winless in the playoffs?

Kevin O'Connell is 15th?  Winless in the playoffs?

Dan Campbell is 16th?   17-28 career coaching record, hasn't sniffed the playoffs.

It's just such a stupid list.  It's evidence of how journalism has abandoned all standards.   No self-respecting editor would allow such stuff to be published.   Instead of exercising journalistic standards, the editors want content, no matter how bad, so long as the words are spelled correctly and the content generates clicks.   Horrid. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good reasoning

But far too low a ranking. I'm no McDermott homer but he's at least top half of the league.

He's like 65-35 w/l or something like that. That's a good coach even if I'm concerned about his decisions in the biggest moments.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Only the Chiefs have won more games the last three years.   And guess what, even they lose close games (sometimes to Sean).   He deserves criticism for 13 seconds and strategy in the snow/ice vs Cinci.  But he is not 22, I like Ross but he is way off on this.

Ya and over that same span Buf has the most double dogit wins in the league.  The next team, I think KC is 2 or 3 behind.  That's impressive asf especially considering the state of the roster when he came in.. reached the playoffs year 1 with a terrible roster

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is an honest and accurate assessment. I like Sean as a person but his coaching abilities are mediocre.  Most coaches get fired after an event like 13 seconds. I would prefer a long term offensive HC to work with Josh.  JMHO

No they don't.  

This is up there with Kyle Brandt having Trevor Lawrence as a 5th tier QB in the AFC.  

• Like (+1) 1

14. Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins

Season With Team: 1 | Head Coaching Record: 9-8

Analysis: It’s a small one-year sample size, but McDaniel had Tua Tagovailoa playing at a darn near MVP level and almost won a road playoff game against the Bills with rookie Skylar Thompson under center, which is wild.

This reasoning is absurd and just looking at the final score. Almost beat us? We were up 10+ in the 4th qtr. There was never any doubt we'd lose that game

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.