Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

Losing winnable games in regular season that negatively impact playoff seeding and stinking up the joint once we get there have Sean ranked 10 from the bottom.

Frankly, that’s fair. Imo.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

22. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

Seasons With Team: 6 | Head Coaching Record: 62-35

Analysis: He’s done a lot of winning and deserves credit for that but the combination of losing games against far inferior teams in the regular season, which hurts playoff seeding, and then getting outcoached in the postseason is troubling. It seems like it’s going to get harder, not easier, for this group of Bills to break through with a Super Bowl berth.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 12
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 9

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Losing winnable games in regular season that negatively impact playoff seeding and stinking up the joint once we get there have Sean ranked 10 from the bottom.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

Analysis: He’s done a lot of winning and deserves credit for that but the combination of losing games against far inferior teams in the regular season, which hurts playoff seeding, and then getting outcoached in the postseason is troubling. It seems like it’s going to get harder, not easier, for this group of Bills to break through with a Super Bowl berth.

I can’t disagree with the logic.  Though I will give credit where it’s due, the Bills have won almost all of the games they are “supposed” to win in the regular season for McD’s career. There have definitely been some flat performances and I know exactly what games he’s thinking of that did cost us big time.   The thing that sticks out to me is the number of times he’s been directly responsible for losing big games. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You think it’s fair that Brandon Staley, Arthur Smith, McConnell and Mcdaniel should be ranked ahead of him?  There are more on the list that we can question….. but those 4 guys have no right at the moment 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not the biggest fan of McDermott as a HC, but ranking him #22 is laughable.  He has 10 unproven, unaccomplished HCs ranked ahead of him.  I like Tuckers pod casts, he’s usually quite insightful. I think he’s intentionally trying draw negative attention to his article.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 15

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The assessment on the nature of his coaching tenure is fair. You could say the latter prognostication is true insofar as the AFC appears to be a monster conference with the bulk of franchise qbs, but I don't really concede that "this group of Bills" is automatically in a tougher position. The notion that we are not also improving or that we peaked, etc. is lazy thinking. Some much needed talent infusion along the IOL, adding Kincaid and revamping the Wr and Rb rooms, along with Dorsey in his second year at OC should contribute to a more powerful and less predictable offense that was statistically already one of the top teams. Theoretically, we might emerge as a more dangerous team to play, so that it is now harder, not easier for other AFC teams as well.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

This is an honest and accurate assessment. I like Sean as a person but his coaching abilities are mediocre.  Most coaches get fired after an event like 13 seconds. I would prefer a long term offensive HC to work with Josh.  JMHO

After the 13 seconds and the Cinci dismantling, there should be real consequences.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

After the 13 seconds and the Cinci dismantling, there should be real consequences.

Yes I agree and there wasn't.  Basically firing Farwell & Frazier reeks of scapegoating. If I could reverse roles and make Daboll our HC and McD our DC, this team would drastically improve. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor @ QB in a season in which everyone thought we were tanking.   Shady and Clay were our  most targeted receivers.  Zay, Deonte Thonpson, KB, Andre Holmes.  That team had a better record than Mike Mcdaniels who had a loaded roster and a better QB. 

Mike Tolbert.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Absolutely laughable that McD would be ranked in the bottom 3rd of HCs. 

Meanwhile, guys like Rivera, McDaniel, O’Connell, Campbell and Daboll are ranked much higher. Hilarious.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It may not be what you want but I believe the consequences are/is McD's clock has started.  He's done a good job of turning the culture around but I believe he's lost that goodwill with 13 seconds and Cincy.  Now we're in a new phase.  He's the coach and DC and it's time to up his success.

46 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The criticisms are fair, but that list overall is a joke.

There are a lot of coaches he has ranked ahead of McDermott, who either have no track record to date, whose winning track record is years in the past, or about whom the same criticisms could be made (only without the overall track record of wins)

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't mind McDermott being ranked low. But lower than some of these guys is ridiculous. Here's a few

Mike Vrabel. 9 spots higher! McDermott has a better win percentage and Vrabel hasn't done anything in the playoffs either. Some playoff flops, in fact.

John Harbaugh. 11 spots higher? His teams have been underwhelming for years now. Some major chokes, along with a few end-of-game coaching gaffes.

Dan Campbell??? He's got the team winning more games, but he's still got a losing record. And he's had some head scratching end-of-game decisions. Tucker must be buying in to the Kyle Brandt man-love here.

Edited by Fleezoid
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

well they have been burning dion at the stake for his weight now it's McDs turn. oh, wait, there is also a thread of JA  and his turnovers. still plenty of time to start more offseason threads burning players and coaches at the stake.

I miss the drought years. 

No you don't

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You think it’s fair that Brandon Staley, Arthur Smith, McConnell and Mcdaniel should be ranked ahead of him?  There are more on the list that we can question….. but those 4 guys have no right at the moment

Right.  It's clear that the list is resting on "yesterday's glories" to some extent when it places Belicheck, Tomlin, and Payton at #2,3, and 4.

But, they've done great things, so, OK.

Then to turn around and rank a bunch of coaches who haven't accomplished nearly as much as McDermott or who have NO track record, higher?

It's a joke.

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.