Ross Tucker ranks NFL Coach’s, places McDermott at #22.

Chandler#81

28 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’s still ranked too high. 

im kidding I’m kidding. Even that seems really low to me. But the argument made does have some legitimacy. 

To me, the argument made is why he shouldn’t not be top 10.  But not to be top 20.  That’s just insane.  

• Like (+1) 1

I like McDermott somewhat.....but the coaching gaffs for a team that should have been to the SB 2 times already are undeniable

as of now McDermott is a mediocre coach. Ranked #22 might be a little harsh but the NFL and fans have noticed the completely avoidable bad decision making that has cost us dearly, the inability of his staff to make in game adjustments. Even though we win in the regular season there are too many times when opposing teams have been "still" in the game when they shouldn't of been.

This will only get louder untill he proves the gaffs are a thing of the past

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, ddaryl said:

I like McDermott somewhat.....but the coaching gaffs for a team that should have been to the SB 2 times already are undeniable

as of now McDermott is a mediocre coach. Ranked #22 might be a little harsh but the NFL and fans have noticed the completely avoidable bad decision making that has cost us dearly, the inability of his staff to make in game adjustments. Even though we win in the regular season there are too many times when opposing teams have been "still" in the game when they shouldn't of been.

This will only get louder untill he proves the gaffs are a thing of the past

Should have been to the Super Bowl 2 times?  Which two? 

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Mike Vrabel is 13th?   McDermott has a better regular season winning percentage and a better playoff winning percentage, so why exactly is Vrabel ahead of McDermott? 

I actually think he and Vrabel are comparable.  Consider the rosters Vrabel has had to work with, especially at QB.  McDermott has Josh Allen.  That masks a lot of his shortcomings.  With the same rosters, I believe you'd get similar results.

• Agree 1

My good deed of the day. From the article:

1. Andy Reid

2. Bill Belichick

3. Mike Tomlin

4. Sean Payton

5. Nick Sirianni

6. Kyle Shanahan

7. Sean McVay

8. Brian Daboll

9. Pete Carroll

10. Doug Peterson

11. John Harbaugh

12. Zac Taylor

13. Mike Vrabel

14. Mike McDaniel

15. Kevin O'Connell

16. Dan Campbell

17. Matt LaFleur

18. Arthur Smith

19. Ron Rivera

20. Brandon Staley

21. Mike McCarthy

22. Sean McDermott

23. Kevin Stefanski

24. Frank Reich

25. Robert Saleh

26. Todd Bowles

27. Dennis Allen

28. Matt Eberflus

29. Josh McDaniels

30. Shane Steichen

31. DeMeco Ryans

32. Jonathan Gannon

A poll would be a good addition to this post... and I while I like and respect Ross Tucker's work, this definitely feels clickbaity.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You think it’s fair that Brandon Staley, Arthur Smith, McConnell and Mcdaniel should be ranked ahead of him?  There are more on the list that we can question….. but those 4 guys have no right at the moment 

I don't know if it's fair or not fair, but the fact is McDermott has Josh Allen.   If this list is weighted for the QB you have... I can't argue a ton. 

Staley has Herbert, a level below Allen.  (McDemott is a better coach than Staley though)

Smith has nobody.  McConnell has Cousins.  McDaniel had Tua or backups  

Most agree that Mahomes, Allen and Burrow are the 3 best QB's in the league. 

Which one hasn't made the Super Bowl?  Do we put that more on Allen or McDermott?  I know which way I lean, and that is why I can't argue a ton with this ranking. 

This is a MASSIVE year for McDermott.  He is an elite culture building coach, which counts for a lot, but he has yet to show he can take the next step.  Others with elite QB's have. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Love Ross but this is an absolute crap take.    He's got multiple coaches with losing records ahead of McDermott, multiple coaches with one season ahead of him, multiple coaches who have losing records against McDermott ahead of him.

This is literally his opinion.  There is no statistical reality associated with his take.  Its lazy and it sucks.  Has Belichick listed two because of what he's done in the past, has Daboll and McDaniel ahead of McDermott because they got bad teams to the playoffs in their first year, but then fails to mention that McDermott did the same thing in his 1st year- if you are going to weigh coaches based on what they've done in the past why not scale McDermott the same way?

You really want to tell me Belichick is the 2nd best coach in the NFL right now, today, when he hasnt won jack since Brady left?

Awful article, complete joke.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

2021 and 2022... Our team was more than good enough to make it to those 2

2021 being the year in which our OL got destroyed on almost every play? That same game where hill and Kelce went for 22-290-2?  There’s a big difference between being “more than good enough to make the SB” and “should have made the Super Bowl”.  

We had a dam good team that year, but the chiefs were clearly the better team.  They handled us easily twice that season.  Sure, we could have beaten them, any given Sunday…. But the team that “should have” made the Super Bowl, made the Super Bowl.  That wasn’t us.  KC was better that year.  

I agree, we should’ve at least made the AFCCG the following season but our 13 second coaching gaffe ended us. but we still had to beat Cinci. This was the one season I feel it’s ok to say we should’ve made the SB.  

Last year, I thought we had the best team in the league, but injuries derailed our season.  We had no chance with the team we put on the field vs Cinci.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You think it’s fair that Brandon Staley, Arthur Smith, McConnell and Mcdaniel should be ranked ahead of him?  There are more on the list that we can question….. but those 4 guys have no right at the moment 

Absolutely agree with this. 

McConnell's team last year was exposed as the frauds they were the entire season immediately in the Playoffs. 

Arthur Smith is going to try and win the "Titans" way and it won't work and we all know that. 

And Brandon Staley, his team choked away a 27 point lead in the Playoffs. So no, he's not there yet as an elite Coach. Now, I do agree that canning Lombardi on his staff and replacing with Kellen Moore was the correct decision. 

• Agree 1

My biggest issue with McDermott has been the Playoff defensive performances, but most of the time the thing that bothers me the most is that Doug Marrone-esque I've been there, done everything, seen it all nature to the interviews that we the fans are allowed to see. 

Working and playing for him in that same tone would grate on me I think. Vrabel, Belichick are examples of the same thing. 

• Agree 1

I dont know how you could look at half of the coaches above McD and say "McD hasn't shown better coaching than these guys"

I get it, 13 seconds was awful, but at the end of the day, the team could execute at some key moments.  Is that really all on McD?

McD is a top 12 coach in the league.  He has a 62-35 regular season record, with playoffs in 5 of 6 years.  His first year playoff birth is more surprising than even the Giants this year, and he took a player everyone was calling a bust to be and helped turn him into a superstar.

Coaches that should absolutely be below McD:

8. Brian Daboll

10. Doug Peterson

13. Mike Vrabel

14. Mike McDaniel

15. Kevin O'Connell

16. Dan Campbell

17. Matt LaFleur

18. Arthur Smith

19. Ron Rivera

20. Brandon Staley

21. Mike McCarthy

And let's not forget this guy has built a great culture, and has shifted his philosophy multiple times to improve the on field result.

We Bills fans are becoming the fans we hate most - pompas losers who are too good for the coach who has led us to 5 playoff appearances in the last 6 years.  Let's relive the drought and then see how people feel

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't know if it's fair or not fair, but the fact is McDermott has Josh Allen.   If this list is weighted for the QB you have... I can't argue a ton. 

Staley has Herbert, a level below Allen.  (McDemott is a better coach than Staley though)

Smith has nobody.  McConnell has Cousins.  McDaniel had Tua or backups  

Most agree that Mahomes, Allen and Burrow are the 3 best QB's in the league. 

Which one hasn't made the Super Bowl?  Do we put that more on Allen or McDermott?  I know which way I lean, and that is why I can't argue a ton with this ranking. 

This is a MASSIVE year for McDermott.  He is an elite culture building coach, which counts for a lot, but he has yet to show he can take the next step.  Others with elite QB's have. 

Let’s not act like mcdermott didn’t have success without Josh allen.  He did.  He made the playoffs with a tank team.  As if that means nothing.  

Who’s better, Tua or Tyrod?  Who’s better cousins or Tyrod?  Both teams had MUCH more talent that McD had in 2017.  No comparison.  

Mariota = Tyrod.  I’ll give it a push for QB play. And McD made the playoffs….. smith.  Back to back 7-10 records.  That deserves to be ahead of mcdermotts 62-35 record?  You can’t be serious. I think smith is a good coach and he’s done well considering the talent in his team…. But there’s no way he should be ranked ahead of mcdermott at this point. 

I agree that mcdermott is on the hot seat this season.  Not because he’s not a good coach.  But because he’s hasn’t been good enough to coach Josh Allen to a Super Bowl W.  

do you really think McDermott is should be ranked outside of the top 20? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

Helluva guy. Love him personally. Great coach Monday through Saturday. Sunday leaves much to be desired. Ranking seems fair until proven otherwise.

Until proven otherwise? Wth are you talking about? 

has it been proven that Staley, Smith, McConnell, mcdaniel are better?  Please, explain.  Thanks in advance.  

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Let’s not act like mcdermott didn’t have success without Josh allen.  He did.  He made the playoffs with a tank team.  As if that means nothing.  

Who’s better, Tua or Tyrod?  Who’s better cousins or Tyrod?  Both teams had MUCH more talent that McD had in 2017.  No comparison.  

Mariota = Tyrod.  I’ll give it a push for QB play. And McD made the playoffs….. smith.  Back to back 7-10 records.  That deserves to be ahead of mcdermotts 62-35 record?  You can’t be serious. I think smith is a good coach and he’s done well considering the talent in his team…. But there’s no way he should be ranked ahead of mcdermott at this point. 

I agree that mcdermott is on the hot seat this season.  Not because he’s not a good coach.  But because he’s hasn’t been good enough to coach Josh Allen to a Super Bowl W.  

do you really think McDermott is should be ranked outside of the top 20? 

No, I don't.  

I think McDermott is a middle of the pack coach as of today, where we sit, on May 25th 2023.

He did an amazing job with the Tyrod Taylor team in breaking the drought.   He's an incredible person and a top tier culture building coach.  

He's plateaued however, and - imo - has backslid a bit.

He has had multiple years of a top 10 talent team, with a top 3 QB.   He's the only coach of those 3 QB's that hasn't gotten to a Super Bowl.   As we all know, that's the rub right now.. I do hope he overcomes it, because I think he represents us so well.  However, I can't lie... when I look at that list, I truly think I'd rather have someone like McDaniel (with Fangio) over McDermott right now.  I hope McDermott changes my mind this year.  

Edited by SCBills

12 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I dont know how you could look at half of the coaches above McD and say "McD hasn't shown better coaching than these guys"

I get it, 13 seconds was awful, but at the end of the day, the team could execute at some key moments.  Is that really all on McD?

McD is a top 12 coach in the league.  He has a 62-35 regular season record, with playoffs in 5 of 6 years.  His first year playoff birth is more surprising than even the Giants this year, and he took a player everyone was calling a bust to be and helped turn him into a superstar.

Coaches that should absolutely be below McD:

8. Brian Daboll

10. Doug Peterson

13. Mike Vrabel

14. Mike McDaniel

15. Kevin O'Connell

16. Dan Campbell

17. Matt LaFleur

18. Arthur Smith

19. Ron Rivera

20. Brandon Staley

21. Mike McCarthy

And let's not forget this guy has built a great culture, and has shifted his philosophy multiple times to improve the on field result.

We Bills fans are becoming the fans we hate most - pompas losers who are too good for the coach who has led us to 5 playoff appearances in the last 6 years.  Let's relive the drought and then see how people feel

Daboll deserves to be higher than McD, the others you can debate.

It's not that we are too good for a playoff caliber coach, it's that we want a Super Bowl.  Do they Bucs win if they don't fire Dungy?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.