Josh Allen is number 1

This has less to do with Josh and more to do with Beanes inability to provide Josh with decent targets, run game, and a O line.

It wasn't a shock we could easily move the ball between the 20 yard lines and then stalled in the redzone. 

We had no power run game. Our interior oline was pathetic. Teams cheated like mad to take away Josh scrambling ability. Diggs was the only receiver who could beat a zone defense in the redzone unless Davis won a jump ball. Not all that shocking Allen has thrown so many INT. 

Maybe surrounded him with better talent so he isn't scrambling for his life having to make plays on the fly. Give us better short yardage RB so linebackers have to respect the run and not cheat and chase down Josh. Give him someone besides Digg who can actually get open in the Red Zone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

No other upper echelon QB panics and presses quite like Allen. His implosion factor is part of the reason why, despite obvious physical ability, he hasn’t achieved anything.

What a ridiculously bad take. Must be nice to be a Mahomes and have competent linemen play and an all time offensive master as your head coach drawing up plays to mess with defenses. 

Or Burrow and Hill with their glut of offensive weapons. 

Nope Allen has a worse oline than all three of those teams and has had basically Diggs vs. those QBs having stacked offensive rosters. 

Meanwhile Allen and Diggs know there was no one competent so it was all on them. Mckenzie was our 3rd best receiver last season for f sakes. How is that possible for a Superbowl contender?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely.  That's his only weakness.  Not taking easy yards with check downs, if he incorporates that in his game,  he'll be unstoppable 

It kills me seeing Mahomes do this multiple times a game for 100+ yards

It’s probably not as easy as Mahomes makes it look. Otherwise every qb would be doing it with much better success. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That's a bad stat, however, be good to know if it means games that were 1 score at the time of the turnover or 1 score games at the end?

Agreed.  There should be some kind of Big-Play to Turnover ratio, for which I'm pretty sure he'd rank near the top.  Speculation on my part, but he makes so many big plays that it's easy to overlook a TO here or there, particularly when they're not key.  

Also, I'm curious how many of those TOs have been in wins vs. losses.  There's more to look at there.  Maybe I'll look it up.  

1 hour ago, HaldimandBills said:

This has less to do with Josh and more to do with Beanes inability to provide Josh with decent targets, run game, and a O line.

It wasn't a shock we could easily move the ball between the 20 yard lines and then stalled in the redzone. 

We had no power run game. Our interior oline was pathetic. Teams cheated like mad to take away Josh scrambling ability. Diggs was the only receiver who could beat a zone defense in the redzone unless Davis won a jump ball. Not all that shocking Allen has thrown so many INT. 

Maybe surrounded him with better talent so he isn't scrambling for his life having to make plays on the fly. Give us better short yardage RB so linebackers have to respect the run and not cheat and chase down Josh. Give him someone besides Digg who can actually get open in the Red Zone. 

To add to your implication, it's the lack of offensive balance due to both our inability (against good Ds) and unwillingness (against bad ones) to run the ball.  

8 hours ago, eball said:

Talk about using a completely out-of-context stat to try and make a point.  🙄

In order to evaluate this statistic we need so much more information.  Suffice it to say that every QB's job is to limit turnovers, and Josh is no different.

Agreed.

FWIW, three of those 36 were in the Vikes game this past season.  1 was in that @ Miami game which no one can fault any of our players for not playing well.  2 more both INTs in our loss to the Jets this past season.  

He had one in our win @KC.  He had one in our win vs. Miami.  One each in our wins @ Balitmore and @ Detroit, and two in our blowout win @ Chicago.  He had another 3 in our playoff win vs. Miami.  

He's also the reason we won those games.  That's 15 of 'em.  We're 6-3 in those games because of him.  

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Now imagine how many points we would score if he cut down on that even by 15 or 20%?

We would literally be unstoppable.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That's like saying if humans had wings, we would all fly high.

I don't get this analogy at all.  Why can't Allen reduce his turnovers by 15 or 20%?    In fact, I would be very disappointed if he only reduces his turnovers by 20% this coming season.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot of straw man arguments in this thread.   No one is arguing that the high number of turnovers is all Allen's fault, however, many people seem to imply that none of it is Allen's fault (or maybe begrudgingly, a very insignificant amount).  Almost no one is saying that Allen is not a top quarterback.

However, when you are worst in the league at something there is plenty of fault to spread around and a significant amount of that has to go to the guy making the final decision on whether and where to throw the ball.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No doubt Allen takes chances. That's what happens when you are asked to play Superman and have a mediocre running game and Oline. Five years and counting. 

Turnovers are what keeps Allen behind Mahomes and Burrow. 

1 hour ago, HaldimandBills said:

Well said!

24 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It’s probably not as easy as Mahomes makes it look. Otherwise every qb would be doing it with much better success. 

Mahomes is the class of the QBs. He is in a league of his own. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes close to Brady's record. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

It kills me seeing Mahomes do this multiple times a game for 100+ yards

It's funny because Mahomes had the same problem in his 5th season that Allen just had in his 5th season. He ignored too many open short throws in favor of deep throws he had no business throwing. He got a little lazy reading the defense. To quote an earlier poster/troll, that "implosion factor" directly led to him single handedly choking away the AFCCG to Cincy last year.

And then the Chiefs made a bunch of changes. They traded away their deep threat in Tyreek Hill. They redesigned the offense to incorporate more short passing and more running. Mahomes took the philosophy change to heart, throwing for the lowest intended air yards per attempt of his career. Just like that he's back to MVP level.

I expect Allen and the Bills offense to undergo a similar change this year. Adding Kincaid and Torrence and Harris and Harty signals to me that they are investing heavily in players that punish defenses who drop into deep zones. I also believe Allen when he says he is more focused on football than he ever has been before. He has an unmatched ability to identify his own flaws and work to correct them. I think all of these ingredients are going to come together to create the most balanced and efficient offense of Allen's career.

The big asterisk of this entire post is Ken Dorsey. He certainly has every tool an OC can reasonably ask for. Now he just needs to put the rubber to the road.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

No doubt Allen takes chances. That's what happens when you are asked to play Superman and have a mediocre running game and Oline. Five years and counting. 

Turnovers are what keeps Allen behind Mahomes and Burrow. 

Well said!

Mahomes is the class of the QBs. He is in a league of his own. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes close to Brady's record. 

If Burrow was asked to do what Allen is, he would have far more turnovers.

6 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I don't get this analogy at all.  Why can't Allen reduce his turnovers by 15 or 20%?    In fact, I would be very disappointed if he only reduces his turnovers by 20% this coming season.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot of straw man arguments in this thread.   No one is arguing that the high number of turnovers is all Allen's fault, however, many people seem to imply that none of it is Allen's fault (or maybe begrudgingly, a very insignificant amount).  Almost no one is saying that Allen is not a top quarterback.

However, when you are worst in the league at something there is plenty of fault to spread around and a significant amount of that has to go to the guy making the final decision on whether and where to throw the ball.

You notice this too huh? Some make it seem like Dorsey drew up those interceptions. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That's a bad stat, however, be good to know if it means games that were 1 score at the time of the turnover or 1 score games at the end?

There are damn stats, weak stats and stats which criteria are crafted to get wanted results.

In advanced statistics class in college professor gave us an assignment and data set.  We were told to provide set of criteria with same set of data to get three specified results.  Most could only get 1 or 2 of of wanted results but I got all three.   When asked by a student in class "What is the use of this exercise?" Professor said you may have an employer which wants certain results from testing and you will be responsible for fitting data (skewing) to expected results.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, every single game is a "1-score" game for at least the first two drives. Most games have a point differential of 8 points or less until late in the game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.